ORGANISATION/COMPANYMax Planck Institute for Meteorology
RESEARCH FIELDGeosciences › Other
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)Recognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE28/05/2021 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONGermany › Hamburg
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK39
OFFER STARTING DATE19/04/2021
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020
The Max Planck Institute for Meteorology (MPI-M) is a multidisciplinary centre for climate research located in Hamburg, Germany. It has an internationally recognised reputation in climate modelling. The MPI-M is located in the heart of one of Europe's most lively and vibrant cities. It provides a highly international and interdisciplinary environment for conducting scientific research as well as access to state-of-the-art scientific facilities.
MPI-M is now opening a position for a
Research Scientist (f/m/div – W092)
to conduct high-resolution ICON-Land simulations within a framework of the ICON Earth System Model. The main responsibility of this experienced scientist will be to close the scaling gap between land surface modelling on process-based resolution (in high latitudes) and global scale using ICON-ESM. An important part of the task is scientific coordination with project partners working on local and remote sensing observations.
- The appointment is until 30.09.2027. The starting date is 01 October 2021
- The workplace is located in Hamburg.
- Payment will be in accordance with German public service positions (TVoeD E14), including extensive social security plans. The conditions of employment, including upgrades and duration, follow the rules of the Max Planck Society for the Advancement of Sciences and those of the German civil service.
- The Max Planck Society strives for gender and diversity equality. We welcome applications from all backgrounds.
- Handicapped persons with comparable qualifications receive preferential status.
Candidates will be evaluated based on their qualifications and ability to fulfil the responsibilities as outlined for this project.
How to submit your application for this position
- A cover letter
- A detailed curriculum vitae incl. a list of publications
- The names, addresses, and telephone numbers of two referees
- One key publication from your past work
by uploading the documents in our online application system:
Deadline for applying
Applications received prior to 28th May 2021 will receive full consideration.
For further information, please contact Prof. Victor Brovkin (victor.brovkin (at)mpimet.mpg.de). Do not forward your application to this email address; the applications need to be submitted through the online application system (see link above).
Required Research Experiences
RESEARCH FIELDGeosciences › Other
YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCE4 - 10
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELGeosciences: PhD or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: GoodGERMAN: Basic
The successful candidate will contribute to the Q-ARCTIC project “Quantify disturbance impacts on feedbacks between Arctic permafrost and global climate” (www.q-arctic.net) funded by the European Research Council (ERC, GA 951288). The research will be conducted in close collaboration with the MPI for Biogeochemistry (Jena) and b.geos GmbH (Korneuburg, Austria).
- To adapt the ICON-Land model structure to operate on few kilometres’ resolution in the Arctic
- In cooperation with the Q-ARCTIC team, include high-resolution disturbances such as thermokarst into the ICON-Land framework
- To use local and remote-sensing observations to evaluate the model performance;
- Perform coupled simulations with the ICON-ESM model and evaluate permafrost climate feedback in future projections, as well as in the last glacial maximum conditions
- Evaluate Arctic carbon susceptibility to abrupt changes
- Disseminate the results through high quality peer-reviewed publications and presentations at conferences
- A PhD in applied mathematics, meteorology, oceanography, physics, or a related field is required for this position
- Very good English language skills are mandatory
- Strong skills in programming (python, Fortran) and post-processing software (such as cdo)
- Strong experience in working with land surface and terrestrial ecosystem models on global scale
- An ability to work independently
- An ability to effectively communicate within the project
EURAXESS offer ID: 630669
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.