ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Copenhagen
RESEARCH FIELDEducational sciences › Research methodologyEducational sciences › Teaching methodsOther
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE26/05/2021 12:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONDenmark › Copenhagen
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK37
Tenure-track assistant Professor/Associate Professor of Science Education
Department of Science Education
Faculty of Science
University of Copenhagen
The Department of Science Education, Section for Science and Mathematics Education Research and Teaching (SMART) seeks applications for one position – either a tenure-track assistant professor or an associate professor – in science education research. Candidates who are in doubt about which type of position to apply for are encouraged to apply for both positions. The position is open from 1 November 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter.
The ideal candidate has a PhD in science education or similar and has documented research experience in relation to one or more of the following areas:
- Science teacher (further) education for lower secondary or primary school (grade 1-9)
- Practice development concerning science teaching in lower secondary or primary school
- Student learning, and/or interest, in science teaching in lower secondary or primary school.
Needed qualifications at the Assistant Professor level: Teaching qualifications are not mandatory but documented teaching qualifications and teaching experience will be considered.
We value greatly that candidates are familiar with one or more Scandinavian school systems (grade 1-9) as well as science teacher education.
Due to specific teaching duties, we are seeking a candidate who from the time of employment can perform teaching duties in either Danish, Norwegian or Swedish.
- the applicant’s own research – hereunder development of the field, assessment tasks, grant applications, research management and supervision
- departmental teaching – hereunder supervising students, preparing and participating in examinations
- other tasks requested by the Department – hereunder engaging with and participate in Department and Faculty governance structures.
Teaching duties will primarily consist of supervision of student projects and theses, course leadership, and classroom teaching related to an MSc degree program in STEM-teaching (see more at http://studier.ku.dk/stem) but teaching duties can involve other teaching and development duties depending on competences, interests and departmental needs.
Formal expectations to the candidate
- Candidates who apply for the position as tenure-track assistant professor must have an academic standing showing internationally competitive research, and/or have internationally recognized high potential to make a future impact.
- Candidates who apply for the position as associate professor must (beyond the above) have university level teaching experience, documented teaching competencies and must be able to explain and reflect upon own teaching practice and portfolio. Formal pedagogical training or supervision equivalent to the University of Copenhagen teacher training programme for assistant professors is required.
Assessment of applicants depends on which type of position is applied for:
- Assessment of applicants for the position as tenure-track assistant professor will primarily consider their level of documented, internationally competitive research. The ability to attract external funding will be considered together with outreach qualifications. Teaching qualifications are not mandatory but documented teaching qualifications and teaching experience will be considered.
- Assessment of applicants for the position as associate professor will primarily consider their level of documented, original scientific production at an international level, including contributions to developments in their field, as well as their documented teaching qualifications. Managerial and out-reach qualifications of applicants including ability to attract external funding will also be considered.
Six overall criteria apply for appointments at the University of Copenhagen. The six criteria (research, teaching, societal impact, organizational contribution, external funding and leadership) are considered a framework for an overall assessment of the candidates. Furthermore, each candidate must be assessed according to the specific requirements stated in the job advertisement.
For more information regarding the position as tenure-track assistant professor read more at https://jobportal.ku.dk/videnskabelige-stillinger/kriterier-for-videnskabelige-stillinger/dokumenter-til-meritering/5a_Criteria_for_recognising_merit_-Assistant_professors.pdf.
For more information regarding the position as associate professor read more at https://jobportal.ku.dk/videnskabelige-stillinger/kriterier-for-videnskabelige-stillinger/dokumenter-til-meritering/5b_Criteria_for_recognising_merit_-Associate_professors.pdf .
More information on the tenure-track programme
An assigned mentor will provide the tenure-track assistant professors with guidance related to career development, other academic topics and administrative procedures.
Performance of the tenure-track assistant professor will be followed via internal yearly evaluations and a mid-term and final international evaluation by an assessment committee. If the ‘final appraisal’ is positive you will be promoted as associate professor. Performance and progression towards the criteria below will be evaluated with due consideration of differences between research fields.
Criteria for promotion in the tenure-track programme
After a 6-year tenure-track period tenure-track assistant professors are expected to meet the following criteria:
- A strong publication track record within the specific field of research, including a significant number of corresponding authorships and at least some publications in high-ranked journals based on work carried out during the tenure-track period
- Strong external network of collaboration, including joint publications
- A significant track record of successful external research funding [Formuleringen tilrettes efter forskningsområdets muligheder for at tiltrække ekstern finansiering]
- Establishment of a strong and internationally competitive research group demonstrating clear independence of former supervisors/mentors, or/and major contributions to the development of an existing research group demonstrating an ability to collaborate within the research group
- Completed http://www.ind.ku.dk/english/course_overview/up/ and established a teaching portfolio via participation in teaching, including preparation and development of departmental courses
- Successful supervision/co-supervision of MSc and PhD students
The Department has since 2007 developed into one of the largest European research units in science education. We offer a vibrant interdisciplinary research environment and an attractive and friendly work environment. The SMART section pursues research into the teaching, learning and assessment of scientific and mathematical knowledge and competences at all educational levels. It is a hallmark of our research to unite strong fundamental and applied research with high impact in society.
Further information on the Department is linked at http://www.science.ku.dk/english/about-the-faculty/organisation/. Inquiries about the position can be made to Head of Department Jan Alexis Nielsen, email@example.com, +4535320361 or Head of Section Henriette Tolstrup Holmegaard, firstname.lastname@example.org +4535320386.
International candidates may consult the University’s unit for international staff and mobility at https://ism.ku.dk . In particular, it may be helpful to read this brochure on moving to wonderful Copenhagen https://ism.ku.dk/contact/brochures-checklists/brochures/ISM-next-stop.pdf
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Terms of employment
The position is covered by the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff.
Terms of appointment and payment accord to the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations on Academics in the State.
Commencing salary for tenure-track assistant professors is currently up to DKK 437.435 including annual supplement (+ pension up to DKK 74.801).
Commencing salary for associate professors is currently up to DKK 481.303 including annual supplement (+ pension up to DKK 82.302)
Negotiation for salary supplement is possible.
The application including all attachments must be in English and submitted electronically by clicking APPLY NOW below.
If you are applying for the position at Tenure Track assistant professor level please include
- Curriculum vitae including:
- Please describe and document international network and relations
- Please describe and document internationally based activities
- Positions held at universities/research institutions outside Denmark
- Outreach activities, i.e. popular lectures or other activities in the media
- Grants held, personal or in part. Career development grants.
- Diplomas (Master and PhD degree or equivalent)
- Research plan - description of current and future research plans
- If available, description and documentation of teaching and supervision experience and qualifications- please describe and document:
- Experience with supervision of BSc and MSc students
- Teaching experience
- Formal pedagogical training
- Complete publication list
- Separate reprints of up to 5 particularly relevant papers
If you are applying for the position at Associate Professor level please include
- Curriculum vitae including information about external funding
- Diplomas (Master and PhD degree or equivalent)
- Research plan – description of current and future research plans
- Description and documentation of teaching experience and qualifications according to university guidelines
- Complete publication list
- Separate reprints of 5 particularly relevant papers
The deadline for applications is 26 May 2021, 23:59 GMT +2.
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Interview Committee.
You can read about the recruitment process at http://employment.ku.dk/faculty/recruitment-process/.
Interviews/trial lectures will be held on 13 October 2021.
Please refer to the following no. in future communication in this case:
Tenure-track assistant Professor of Science Education 211-0192/21-2A
Associate Professor of Science Education 211-0322/21-2E
Part of the International Alliance of Research Universities (IARU), and among Europe’s top-ranking universities, the University of Copenhagen promotes research and teaching of the highest international standard. Rich in tradition and modern in outlook, the University gives students and staff the opportunity to cultivate their talent in an ambitious and informal environment. An effective organisation – with good working conditions and a collaborative work culture – creates the ideal framework for a successful academic career.
EURAXESS offer ID: 630641
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.