ORGANISATION/COMPANYLUCA School of Arts
RESEARCH FIELDArts › Visual arts
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE16/05/2021 21:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONBelgium › Brussels
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK31
OFFER STARTING DATE15/09/2021
LUCA School of Arts
Main location: Sint-Lukas Brussel campus
Who we are
LUCA School of Arts is a multidisciplinary educational and research environment in which creative talent can develop on an artistic, performative and technical level. LUCA promotes the practice of art and creative design as well as the development of innovative insight. LUCA combines the strength and expertise of five renowned institutions on as many campuses: Sint-Lukas Brussel, Narafi Brussel, C-mine Genk, Sint-Lucas Gent and Lemmens Leuven. With over 600 staff members and nearly 3,500 students, LUCA School of Arts is a creative hub for over 4,000 artists, musicians, theatrical and film producers, photographers and designers.
There are two options within the Audiovisual Arts programme at the Sint-Lukas Brussel campus: Film or Animation. The programme is also one of three partners that develop and offer the international, English-language joint Master's in Documentary Filmmaking DocNomads.
The research unit Intermedia coordinates the research on the Sint-Lukas Brussel campus. Intermediality, transhistoricity and narrativity are the main forms of poetics and key domains in the research carried out by the unit. The unit advocates critical awareness of the impact of technological development on artistic practice. It actively explores and supports the presentation of artistic research in exhibition format through the Show Research programme and the Terrarium exhibition room.
LUCA Audiovisual Arts is also part of FilmEU (https://www.filmeu.eu/) in which four European higher education institutions collaborate around the common objective of jointly promoting high-level education, innovation and research activities in the multidisciplinary field of Film and Media Arts. This new partnership will also create international possibilities for research as well as education in Film and Media Arts.
Your assignment consists of providing academic art education, mentoring assignments, artistically-oriented scientific research, and social services. In addition to the academic duties, you may also be assigned organisational, coordinative or administrative tasks.
Your teaching assignment will partially consist of mentoring students with theses or dissertations. Your specific teaching tasks will mainly consist of the following tasks:
- Developing and teaching a Studio Practice course for 3BA students of the option Film (first semester, 9 SP). This should be a practice oriented course with focus on the expanded field of Audiovisual Arts, non-lineair narratives and/or non-narrative film. This course also functions as a springboard for the students’ Bachelor Film Project;
- Playing a leading role in the coordination of the Bachelor’s Film Project, in collaboration with colleagues;
- Mentoring students in the Master of Audiovisual Arts for their dissertation and/or Graduate Film Project.
The research assignment consists of the development of or collaboration within a research cluster within the domain of the Audiovisual Arts, focused on the campus' research domains. To this end, you will focus on supervising doctorate programmes, postdoctoral programmes and raising external project funding. You will develop a research line by setting up projects in (at least) one of the following key domains of research on the campus: intermediality, transhistoricity and narrativity. This artistic research should focus on future directions of Audiovisual Arts, and be open for collaboration and crossovers with other (Audio)Visual Arts.
- Providing high-quality supervision for doctoral students and postdoctoral researchers;
- Acquiring external research funding;
- Designing educational activities, tutoring or educational concepts to provide education tailored to the student audience;
- Mentoring students in the conception of both the artistic and the reflective aspects of final tests and interim research assignments;
- Being a professor in a course unit and coordinator of a group of course units;
- Managing assistants within a course unit or cluster of course units;
- Being active within the campus’ research domains; you will indicate how your future research can play a role within one or more of the campus' research domains and how the research can contribute to the further integration of research in education;
- Actively participating in artistic research—more specifically, by contributing to the development of a vision on artistic and design-based research within the campus' various programmes.
We offer a 0.8 FTE appointment for an indefinite term in the position of professor ("docent" - salary scale 528) for which appointment or expansion at a later stage is possible in accordance with the existing rules and procedures. For more information on the salary scales, please visit the website of the Ministry of Education (www.ond.vlaanderen.be).
The selection consists of:
- A preselection based on the submitted dossiers;
- A selection interview with the candidates between 1 and 15 June 2021;
The candidate will be appointed by the Executive Committee. The expected date of commencement is 15 September 2021.
For more information on the position, please contact Pascal Vandelanoitte, the campus Director of Audiovisual Arts, campus Sint-Lukas Brussels: firstname.lastname@example.org
For procedural questions, please contact email@example.com.
We want to highlight that candidates can apply for multiple job offerings (ref.: LUCA website / job offerings).
Send in your application by 16 May 2021, LUCA School of Arts, HR department through CV Warehouse.
Your application must contain a dossier (1 PDF file) consisting of:
- A cover letter outlining your vision on your future activities in the field of research as well as education at LUCA, and your added value for our school;
- Your CV and portfolio;
- An attestation of diploma (or declaration of equivalence of the requested diploma, if applicable).
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELArts: PhD or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESDUTCH: ExcellentOTHER: Excellent
- A doctorate in the arts or a doctorate closely related to artistic and design-based practice and research;
- Strong research portfolio (international research experience strongly desired) as well as experience in project coordination and funding acquisition (in an international context);
- Extensive experience as a creative artist in the contemporary expanded/expanding field of Audiovisual Arts (linear and non-linear narratives, installation, digital storytelling e.a.);
- Demonstrable relevant experience in a higher education teaching assignment in the domain of Audiovisual Arts;
- Has a good knowledge of current and future trends in Audiovisual Arts;
- Strong leadership and organisational skills;
- Strong didactic skills;
- Ability to work autonomously, sense of responsibility and stress-resistant;
- Enthusiastic, enterprising leader with inventive ideas, someone who looks for improvements and experiments with new concepts;
- Proficient in Dutch and English in accordance with the language requirements applicable to higher education (or eager to learn Dutch in the short term) (Codex Hoger onderwijs art. II.270);
- Loyal to the institution's assignment, mission, vision and education policy plan;
- Willingness to incorporate your own artistic activity in the framework of artistic research.
EURAXESS offer ID: 630003
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.