ORGANISATION/COMPANYAlfred-Wegener-Institut Helmholtz-Zentrum für Polar- und Meeresforschung
RESEARCH FIELDEnvironmental science
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)Established Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE13/05/2021 08:08 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONGermany › Bremerhaven
TYPE OF CONTRACTTo be defined
Area of research:
Scientific / postdoctoral posts
PostDoc position “Automated ocean data QC with deep learning MOSAiC” (Data Scientist) (m/f/d)
To more efficiently exploit the full potential of the MOSAiC expedition, the M-VRE project develops online services for the exploration, analysis and visualisation of the MOSAiC data in a "Virtual Research Environment". This PostDoc project aims to adapt and develop a deep learning algorithm for supporting scientists with the quality control of ocean temperature measurements. This includes training, validation and evaluation of the algorithm on state of the art computer infrastructures, e.g. GPUs. Additionally, a web service will be developed and implemented in AWIs computing centre, based on the deep learning algorithm, to allow ocean scientists to perform online data quality control.
- adapt, improve, develop a deep learning algorithms.
- perform training, validation and evaluation of the algorithm.
- use state of the art computer systems like GPUs
- develop a web service, based on the deep learning algorithm
- maybe have the opportunity to join arctic expeditions.
- present your work at international conferences.
- establish connections to ocean and climate research groups.
- learn classical attempts of ocean data quality control
- PhD in computer science, applied mathematics/statistics, information science, physics or related field
- excellent knowledge in the field of artificial intelligence, especially neural networks and deep learning
- good knowledge of modern techniques like Keras, Tensorflow, etc.
- good computing skills and knowledge of at least one high-level programming language (e.g. C++, Python)
- knowledge with GitHub or Docker is beneficial
- experience with large and complex datasets is an asset
- knowledge of data formats like netCDF is helpful
- experience with climate or ocean research is a plus
- good working knowledge of the English language, and
- willingness to present research results at international conferences, publish in peer-reviewed journals and participate in research expeditions to the Arctic Ocean
The AWI is characterised by
The AWI is characterised by
- our scientific success - excellent research.
- collaboration and cooperation - intra-institute, national and international, interdisciplinary.
- opportunities to develop – on the job, aiming at other positions and beyond AWI.
- a culture of reconciling work and family – an audited and well-supported aspect of our operation
- our outstanding research infrastructure – ships, stations, aircraft, laboratories and more.
- an international environment – everyday contacts with people from all over the world.
- having an influence – fundamental research with social and political relevance
- flat hierarchies – facilitating freedom and responsibility
- exciting science topics, with opportunities also in technology, administration and infrastructure
Equal opportunities are an integral part of our personnel policy. The AWI aims to increase the number of female employees and therefore strongly encourages qualified women to apply.
Disabled applicants will be given preference when equal qualifications are present.
The AWI fosters the compatibility of work and family in various ways and has received a number of awards as a result of this engagement.
This research center is part of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers. With more than 42,000 employees and an annual budget of over € 5 billion, the Helmholtz Association is Germany's largest scientific organisation.
EURAXESS offer ID: 629711
Posting organisation offer ID: 817
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.