RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE10/07/2021 17:07 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONGermany › Jülich
TYPE OF CONTRACTTo be defined
IEK-2 - Werkstoffstruktur und Eigenschaften
Area of research:
At the Institute of Energy and Climate Research - Microstructure and Properties of Materials (IEK-2) we develop and characterize high-performance structural and functional materials as well as operating media for central and decentralized energy conversion and storage systems.In this context, our interdisciplinary research aims in particular at a deep understanding of the underlying processes and material behavior of solid oxide fuel cells. For this purpose, we use different experimental techniques and analytical methods, as well as modeling approaches. In particular, the understanding of degradation issues is central for the success of this green energy technology on the market. We therefore investigate the ageing of fuel cells under application relevant operation conditions and develop chemo-physical models for the description of degradation phenomena.
In the framework of a project funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) in cooperation with academic and industrial partners a fundamental chemo-physical understanding of degradation mechanisms on the material and cell level will be elaborated, to understand and evaluate the ageing resulting from the interplay of ceramic and metallic functional layers during operation. To reach this goal, the influence of thermal and thermo-atmospheric effects on microstructure evolution and long-term behavior will be investigated. Based on this, ageing models for the degradation over extended timescales will be developed. The distribution of tasks is coordinated in the team of two PhD students according to their interests and qualifications.Your tasks in detail:
- Ageing experiments under thermal load and different gas atmospheres containing relevant trace species originating from air pollution, fuels or stack components
- Determination of relevant trace species by mass spectrometric measurements and model calculations
- Pre- and post-test microstructural analysis of samples using XRD, SEM, FIB etc.
- Development of thermodynamic, kinetic and data-driven models for understanding and predicting degradation processes on relevant scales, to elucidate the relationships between thermal load and chemical environment, microstructure evolution, degradation and lifetime
- Based on the obtained knowledge related to different atmospheres, microstructural investigations and scale bridging thermo-chemical simulations, the influence of ageing induced by phase transformations and precipitate formation shall be evaluated and relevant correlations shall be determined
- Participation in project meetings and coordination with internal and external partners
- Publication and presentation of your research results in relevant journals or at international conferences
- Excellent university degree (Master) in materials science, metallurgy, chemistry, physics, chemical engineering or equivalent
- Great interest in application-oriented basic research
- High degree of independence and creativity in finding working and solution approaches
- Great willingness to work together and communicate, as well as the ability to work as part of an interdisciplinary team
- Ideally first experiences in solid oxide fuel cells, microstructure analysis or scale bridging modeling
- Good skills in spoken and written German
We work on the very latest issues that impact our society and are offering you the chance to actively help in shaping the change! We offer ideal conditions for you to complete your doctoral degree:
- Outstanding scientific and technical infrastructure – ideal conditions for successfully completing a doctoral degree
- A highly motivated group as well as an international and interdisciplinary working environment at one of Europe’s largest research establishments
- Comprehensive training in ageing experiments, microstructure analysis and modeling
- Chance of participating in (international) conferences and project meetings
- Continuous scientific mentoring by your scientific advisors
- Doctoral degree conferred by RWTH Aachen University
- Participation in overarching seminars including certificate
- Further development of your personal strengths, e.g. via a comprehensive further training programme including a certificate from the HITEC graduate school
- Support for international employees, e.g. through our International Advisory Service
- Ideal conditions for balancing work and private life, as well as a family-friendly corporate policy
- A job initially limited to 3 years
- Pay in line with 75 % of pay group 13 of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD-Bund)
Further information on doctoral degrees at Forschungszentrum Jülich including our other locations is available at: www.fz-juelich.de/gp/Careers_DocsForschungszentrum Jülich promotes equal opportunities and diversity in its employment relations.We also welcome applications from persons with disabilities.
This research center is part of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers. With more than 42,000 employees and an annual budget of over € 5 billion, the Helmholtz Association is Germany's largest scientific organisation.
EURAXESS offer ID: 629708
Posting organisation offer ID: 2021D-048
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.