ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Bergen
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)Recognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE10/05/2021 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNorway › Bergen
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK37.50
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020
The position is affiliated primarily to the externally financed project EU H2020 ESM2025 (Earth system models for the future) that is currently under final contract negotiations. In the first 3 years the position is financed by this project (under the condition of successful contract negotiations) and by smaller contributions from other projects (for example Bjerknes Centre for Climate Research internal projects 'BCCR model development activity funding’ and LOES, as well as RCN projects INES, INES2 if funded, and KeyClim). Provisional start date would be late summer/early autumn 2021.
About the project/work tasks
- Improvements in the representation of the marine nitrogen cycle in the ocean biogeochemistry module iHAMOCC of the Norwegian Earth system model NorESM2 (concerning nitrification, denitrification, N fixation, and cycling of N2O and NH3) to make the model ready for emission driven runs with N2O and NH3.
- Observation-based evaluation of the new parameterizations (including use of the ESMValTool).
- Implementation of an interactive coupling for N2O and NH3 between the various compartments of the Earth system model NorESM2 in collaboration with experts from other institutes. This includes the development of techniques enabling stable pre-industrial simulations for the N2O and NH3 airborne fractions.
- Realisation of transient Earth system model simulations including fully coupled nitrogen and carbon cycles.
- Analysis of climate projections and feedbacks with special emphasis on marine primary production, the ocean biological carbon pump, and net greenhouse gas ocean-atmosphere fluxes.
- The position is located within an established team of Earth system modellers and a high-level international collaborative network of experts. The position provides the opportunity for a career-boost in the field of Earth system modelling and climate research.
- A good and professionally stimulating working environment.
- Salary at pay grade 61 (code 1109/pay range 24, alternative 3) according to the state salary scale upon appointment. This constitutes a gross annual salary of NOK 545 300. For particularly highly qualified applicants, a higher salary may be considered. Further promotions are made according to length of service.
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
- Good welfare benefits.
Researchers code 1109 holding a permanent position may apply for a personal promotion to Researcher code 1183 based on a declaration of competence. For more information about this see: Personal promotion to Researcher code 1183 | Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences | UiB
- A brief account of the applicant's research interests and motivation for applying for the position.
- The names and contact information for two reference persons. One of these should be the main advisor from the PhD programme.
- Transcripts and diplomas. If you have not yet completed your PhD degree, please submit a statement from your institution confirming that the doctoral thesis has been submitted.
- Relevant certificates/references
- List of any works of a scientific nature (publication list)
- Publications (as applicable)
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at JobbNorge.
Further information about our employment process can be found here.
For further details about the position, please contact Professor Christoph Heinze, Geophysical Institute, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: +47 9137 4288.
Required Research Experiences
RESEARCH FIELDMathematics › Other
YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCE4 - 10
YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCE4 - 10
YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCE4 - 10
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELPhysics: PhD or equivalentMathematics: PhD or equivalentOther: PhD or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
- Applicants must hold a Norwegian PhD or an equivalent degree within oceanography, meteorology, climate science, physics, mathematics or related subject areas or must have submitted his/her doctoral thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the PhD has been awarded.
- Ability to attract external research funding must be documented.
- Excellent high-level scientific computing skills including the programming language FORTRAN and the operating system Unix is a requirement.
- Candidates must have relevant knowledge in ocean science (biogeochemistry and physics) and proven ability to successfully carry out interdisciplinary research.
- Ability to write articles in the peer-reviewed scientific literature is mandatory.
- Experience with coupled physical-biogeochemical ocean modelling, coupled Earth system modelling, and the evaluation package ESMValTool is an advantage.
- Detailed knowledge of the global nitrogen biogeochemistry is an advantage.
See full list of Skills/Qualifications here: Researcher within marine biogeochemical Earth system modelling (204615) | University of Bergen (jobbnorge.no)
The position is based on the following terms:
- The researcher will be a member of the research group in which the subject area of the position belongs.
- Salary expenses should as far as possible be 100 % externally financed.
- The researcher will actively contribute to obtaining external project funding for the academic community, to both themselves and others, from The Research Council of Norway, the EU as well as other sources.
- The research activity is expected to be funded by the projects the researcher and the research group, are working on.
- The head of department may instruct the researcher to work towards specific research projects.
- The researcher may partake in duties, participate in committees etc. within the UiB.
- The researcher is normally not obliged to teach but is expected to partake in the supervision of masters and PhD students, to the extent that this is a natural part of the work in the research group.
- The researcher can apply for competence promotion in accordance with the rules for promotion.
- The foundation for the position will no longer exist if project funding ceases, and the new law on Government employees etc. regarding termination of employment and preferential rights will be applied.
EURAXESS offer ID: 629562
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.