ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversité Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › BiologyMedical sciences › Medicine
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/07/2021 17:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONBelgium › Brussels
United States › Indianapolis
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
One postdoctoral fellow position is available at the ULB Center for Diabetes Research, Brussels, Belgium (https://www.ucdr.be/). We are looking for a highly motivated researcher to join the lab of Dr. Decio Eizirik. This lab aims to clarify the mechanisms of pancreatic beta cell dysfunction and death in type 1 diabetes mellitus, with focus on endoplasmic reticulum stress, alternative splicing and other mechanisms that may contribute to beta cell death and generation of neoantigens.
The selected candidate will participate in a team working with primary human and iPSC-derived islets, animal models of diabetes and human beta cell lines, and advanced molecular biology techniques. A strong understanding of beta cell biology and/or molecular biology is important. The selected candidate will be motivated and take initiative in proposing and performing experiments, with support by Dr Eizirik and other colleagues in the lab. Applications can be made directly to Dr Eizirik at email@example.com. The position is funded by ongoing IMI and Welbio grants.
Responsibilities and Duties
Primary responsibilities include:
- Develop and conduct state of the art scientific experiments with human primary and iPSC-derived islets and cell lines, initially with supervision and then progressively independent work, including:
- Cell isolation/culture
- Develop cell-based functional and viability assays for evaluating beta cell responses to stress
- Characterize gene and protein expression in stressed and physiological beta cells
- Accurately document and publish research findings
- Actively support applications for grants and sponsored research funding proposals
Qualifications and Skills
Specific skills and qualifications for the position include:
- PhD in Biology, Biochemistry or a related field is required
- Relevant experience in molecular biology is required; experience with iPSC is a plus, but the candidate can learn the required techniques at our iPSC Core;
- Strong skills in beta cell isolation/ culture is a plus
- Experience with flow cytometry is a plus
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
EURAXESS offer ID: 629516
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.