ORGANISATION/COMPANYInstitute of Organic Chemistry Polish Academy of Sciences
RESEARCH FIELDChemistry › Homogeneous catalysisChemistry › Organic chemistryChemistry › Solar chemistry
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE10/07/2021 14:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONPoland › Warsaw
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/10/2021
Applications are invited for a Ph.D. position in a research grant "RED LIGHT – A TOOL FOR ORGANIC AND BIOORTHOGONAL CHEMISTRY" funded by the National Science Centre, Poland. Successful candidates will work in the Sustainable Chemistry Group under the supervision of Prof. Dorota Gryko.
Short description of the project. Photo-controllable bioorthogonal chemistry though appealing for biologist represents a challenge for chemists as it requires development of reactions that are compatible with biological systems. The vast majority of photochemical reactions are induced either by UV or high-energy visible light irradiation. Red and infra-red is, however, more compatible with biological systems therefore their application is more attractive for bioorthogonal reactions. Such transformations, however, even in the synthetic chemistry toolbox, are scarce. Therefore, the goal of this proposal is to develop a diverse set of chemical reactions driven by red light with the ultimate goal of using them for photo-controllable bioorthogonal chemistry.
We address this challenge by focusing, in the first instance, on devising C−C bond forming reactions induced by red light. Then we will on fine-tune reactions’ parameters so they work in physiological conditions. In the final stage, our Collaborator will test the developed tools on proteins and nucleic acids.
- 5000 PLN per month stipend financed from the NCN MAESTRO 12 Project "RED LIGHT – A TOOL FOR ORGANIC AND BIOORTHOGONAL CHEMISTRY" as a source of reactive intermediates" funded by the National Science Centre, Poland;
- additional private insurance;
- the position within the grant is for a period of 48 months.
The successful candidate will be part of a highly experienced, multi-disciplinary team. She/He will have the possibility to broaden her/his knowledge and gain hands-on experience at the border between theory and experiment.
- Master degree in chemistry or related field.
- At the starting date of the work within the project, applicant should be enrolled to the Warsaw Ph.D. School in Natural and BioMedical Sciences (if the applicant does not have a status of a Ph.D. student in Poland according to the NCN regulations, she/he is required to apply to the Warsaw Ph.D. School in Natural and BioMedical Sciences, [http://warsaw4phd.pl])
Complete application should include:
- scientific curriculum vitae, including a list of scientific achievements (scholarships, publications, conference presentations, etc.);
- motivation letter;
- one recommendation letter;
- a transcript of the grades/credits received; during the last stage of studies and grade point average.
The best applicants will be invited for an interview (online) between 12.07 – 23.07 2021.
The scholarship will be awarded in accordance with the NCN regulations:
- The Commission will take into account the following criteria:
a) competencies of candidates for specific tasks in a research project,
b) previous scientific achievements of candidates,
c) awards and distinctions of the candidate resulting from the conducted research.
- The commission evaluates applications on a point scale.
- The scholarship will be awarded to the person who obtains the highest number of points.
- If the top candidate does not sign the contract, we reserve the right to choose the next candidate from the ranking list.
- The results of the competition are made public.
IMPORTANT!!! Please input e-mail subject as: "Recruitment - Dorota Gryko"
Web site for additional job details
Required Research Experiences
YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCE1 - 4
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELChemistry: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Good
- experience in organic chemistry or related;
- other skills include analysis and interpretation of experimental data (NMR, MS, UV/Vis);
- demonstrated experience in research work will be an asset;
- good written and oral communication skills in English;
Personal skills: strong motivation for scientific work, ambition, creativity, goal-orientation, responsibility, ability to work independently as well as in a group; excellent communications, organization and time management skills, willingness to learn, analytical thinking and critical problem solving skills.
- basic knowledge of rules and protocols valid in organic chemistry labs;
- knowledge of organic chemistry;
- knowledge of photochemistry will be an asset.
EURAXESS offer ID: 628968
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.