ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversidad Carlos III de Madrid
RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Electronic engineering
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE20/09/2021 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONSpain › Leganes
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37,5
OFFER STARTING DATE01/11/2021
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER956601
The Microelectronics group of the Electronics Department at Carlos III University (Madrid, Spain) and Infineon Technologies Austria AG invite applicants for a PhD Fellowship in Mixed-Signal Microelectronics. The research topic is edge computing architectures suitable for VCO-based MEMS readout circuits. As a practical example, the research will focus on embedding edge computing in MEMS microphones for portable or wearable devices. The target applications may be, for example, AI-based voice compression or Keyword Detection integrated with a fully featured digital microphone in the same dice. The edge computing architecture will seize the frequency-encoded data provided by a VCO-based MEMS readout circuit to implement the processing with mixed signal circuitry. The position is in the frame of a H2020 Marie Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Networks (ITN) action for Early Stage Researchers within the project TEVI (Time-Encoded Voice Interfaces). The position is vacant from april 2021. The grant covers 3 years of full time research (50% time in Spain, 50% time in Austria). Salary according to the Spanish and Austrian salary scales.
TEVI is aimed to propose new time-encoded techniques for low power solutions towards smart audio sensors implemented with nanometric CMOS process nodes, including raw data processing, digitization, feature extraction, compression and classification. The Early Stage Researcher (PhD student, ESR) will be assigned to the work package devoted to the design and implementation of the voice compression and classification stage. The student will carry out research tasks related to voice activation or voice keyword detection, mixed-signal microelectronics design and Artificial Intelligence, not only on his/her own, but also working with the students assigned to other TEVI’s work packages. The research will involve both Carlos III University of Madrid and Infineon Technologies Austria AG, so the student will spend half of the time in Madrid (Spain) and half of the time in Villach (Austria) supervised by PhD Advisors in each sector. Infineon technologies brings in the expertise in the MEMS sensor market, in particular in microphones, where it is a world leader. Carlos III University will bring in its expertise in VCO-based ADCs which has been transferred to MEMS microphone industry in the past through previous EU projects. The student will acquire expertise in interdisciplinary fields such as MEMS technology, signal processing, Artificial Intelligence, low power mixed signal microelectronics and transversal skills. The experience gained through this PhD program is highly appreciated by semiconductor corporations, providing him/her a valuable expertise background for a future career in the microelectronics industry.
Time-encoded signal processing has recently attracted the attention of the design community due to its excellent scalability in narrow design nodes. Time Encoding has been already tested for data converters, but its use in signal processing is currently an emerging research field. The ESR will take part in the whole process of several experimental chips, starting with the proposal of new ideas/architectures at system level, going on with the proper design at schematic level and translation to layout, and ending with experimental measurements of prototypes in the laboratory related to power efficiency, noise rejection and accuracy in pattern recognition.
Carlos III University of Madrid (Spain) was founded in 1989 and is currently ranking 16th in Europe on QS Top 50 (young universities) Under 50 2020 ranking. Carlos III University of Madrid contributes to the improvement of society through teaching of the highest quality and cutting-edge research in line with stringent international guidelines. The fellowship will take place (50%) in the School of Engineering, located in Leganes (Madrid).
Infineon Technologies is one of the leaders of the semiconductor market worldwide, providing semiconductor solutions for automotive, industrial power control, sensing and connected system sectors. Infineon Technologies ranked the 10th largest semiconductor company worldwide in sales in 2020. The fellowship will take place (50%) in the facilities of the company located in Villach (Austria).
Applications: Please send an email to phdTEVIH2020@gmail.com, following the instructions, click on "Where to Apply", "Application Form"
TEVI project is aimed to train 3 creative and innovative researchers in the field of smart sensors. It will incorporate Artificial Intelligence in smart microphones in a power efficient manner, by combining novel, small, versatile and compact time-encoded circuits with innovative and robust waterproof sensors. Instead of sending raw data to a computing node (could be in the edge or in the cloud), the novel microphone will have enough computing capabilities to recognize keywords, and enough voice quality to be used in a human conversation even under water. The researchers trained in this network will be able to convert state-of-the art knowledge and ideas into new consumer products for economic and social benefit, following this example application.
As a trained researcher you will have many opportunities to develop an industrial career in any part of the world, but especially in the EU. You will be trained in chip design, sensor design, artificial intelligence techniques and other aspects of the current semiconductor industry, and you will work at Infineon Technologies as part of your assignments.
You also will be in a very good position to apply for a postdoc position in any of the top EU academic institutions. You will have a set of relevant scientific publications and international patents and a PhD Degree with International and Industry mention.
- Applicants must satisfy the eligibility conditions for MSCA Early Stage Researchers, i.e., they must have obtained their master’s degree in the past 4 years and must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Spain for more than 12 months in the past 3 years. Applications of candidates not fulfilling these eligibility conditions will not be considered.
- Be eligible to enroll in the University PhD program (Electronics, URL https://www.uc3m.es/phdprogram/eletrical-engineering-electronics-automat...)
Applications will be marked and ranked according to the Academic curriculum, Research activities and technical and transversal skills. The best candidates will be interviewed using an on-line conference system
RESPONSABILITIES OF THE ESR
- An Initial Research Plan (IRP) will be assigned to the ESR at the beginning of the fellowship. The ESR will have the responsibility of executing all the tasks described in the IRP, which will involve research and organization tasks, mobility requirements, milestone accomplishments and deliverable submission.
- Enroll in the Electrical, Electronics and Automation Engineering Doctoral program at Carlos III University in Madrid, Spain, and carry out all the activities required to make a high-quality PhD dissertation within the expected timeframe. Publications in high impact-factor international journals are expected.
- COVID-19’s outbreak: on-site presence at the campus of Carlos III University of Madrid (School of Engineering, Leganes, Spain), 50% of time, and at Infineon Technologies AG Austria (Villach, Austria), 50% of time, will be required if health recommendations authorize it. In case of online working recommended, the student will be required to stay in Spain (50% time) and in Austria (50% time).
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELEngineering: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
- Applicants are required to have an excellent academic background with a master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or any other related discipline, with skills in Microelectronics Design. Applicants who are in the final phase of their master’s degree are also encouraged to apply but have to complete the master before starting the fellowship. Applicants must be eligible to enroll in the PhD program of Carlos III University.
- Motivation and potential for research activities. Ability to work independently and in a team. Be innovative and creative. Keep an open mind.
- Expertise with the following topics: CMOS IC mixed-signal design (schematic and layout).
- Expertise with the following engineering tools and programming languages: MATLAB/Simulink, Virtuoso Cadence and as a plus Python, TensorFlow and Linux.
- Basic Knowledge of Verilog/System Verilog or other HDL languages.
- Prior experience on any of these topics will be valued: audio recording, speech processing, data converters, artificial intelligence, and electronics laboratory instrumentation.
- Excellent English language skills (both oral and written). English level certification will be a plus if English is not the native language.
- Publications in international journals/conferences will be valued.
EURAXESS offer ID: 628821
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.