RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE24/05/2021 23:59 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONSweden › Lund
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
The Centre for Mathematical Sciences has approximately 130 employees, with 30 in the section Mathematics, Faculty of Science, where this position is situated. The other divisions are Mathematics with Numerical Analysis, Faculty of Engineering, and Mathematical Statistics. Research at the Centre for Mathematical Sciences is conducted in Linear and Nonlinear Partial Differential Equations, Dynamical Systems, Harmonic Analysis, Operator Theory and Complex Analysis, Scientific Computing and Numerical Analysis, Algebra, Differential Geometry, Image Analysis, Machine Learning and Computer Vision, as well as Mathematical Statistics, Probability Theory, and Mathematical Didactics. The degree courses lead to Bachelor, Master, and PhD degrees and, at the Faculty of Engineering, to Civil Engineering degrees.
Research in Nonlinear Partial Differential Equations at the Centre is mainly focused on Nonlinear Waves, Dispersive Equations and Fluid Mechanics. Within Linear PDEs there is research in Pseudodifferential Equations and Microlocal Analysis, Spectral Theory and Mathematical Physics. Please see https://www.maths.lu.se/english/research/research-groups/partial-differential-equations/ for more information.
- Research in the subject area.
- Teaching at basic, advanced and research level, in particular courses in Analysis and Differential Equations.
- Supervision of Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD students.
- Actively applying for external funding.
- Participation in international research networks.
- The work tasks also include planning, skills development and some administration.
Initially the amount of teaching will be at most 50% of full time. The work assignments of the position, as well as the relative proportions of research and teaching, may change over time.
The successful candidate is expected to contribute to the research group in Partial Differential Equations, for example via joint research activities and seminars. Furthermore, applying for external funding and developing collaborations both with other departments within the university and with other universities, is expected.
Qualified for appointment as Senior Lecturer are those who have demonstrated teaching expertise and have been awarded a PhD, or have demonstrated the corresponding research competence or some other professional expertise that is of value in view of the subject matter of the post and the duties that it will involve (according to the Higher Education Ordinance chapter 4, section 4).
To qualify for this position, applicants must hold a doctorate in mathematics, or demonstrate equivalent competence.
Applicants are also required to have completed at least five weeks of training in higher education teaching and learning, or to have acquired equivalent knowledge by other means. In certain cases, exceptions can be made from this requirement.
For academic staff at Lund University, a general requirement is being suited to and having the abilities required for fulfilling the duties of the post well.
Basis of assessment
- The applicant must have documented scientific skills in Analysis of Partial Differential Equations.
- The applicant must have a very high international level as a researcher, relative to career length.
- The applicant must have good subject knowledge and documented experience of teaching at different levels of higher education.
- The ability to teach in English is a requirement.
- Documented ability to obtain research grants in national or international competition is a strong merit.
- Experience of course development and a reflective approach to teaching are strong merits.
- Experience of supervision of Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD students is also a strong merit.
- Documented experience of interaction with the society at large and in communicating science and the value of research to society is likewise relevant and a merit.
For the appointment, consideration will be given to the question as to how the applicant, through documented skills and experience, can strengthen and extend the Department’s research and teaching in the field. Applicants should present their current research and a research plan for the next few years, and demonstrate how they can contribute to research at the institution. The scientific qualifications of applicants will be evaluated mainly on the basis of the quality and quantity of peer-reviewed scientific publications.
As much attention shall be given to the assessment of teaching expertise as to the assessment of research expertise.
The appointment will be made in accordance with the Lund University Appointment Rules.
It is expected that within a period of three years, a non-Swedish speaking appointee will master the Swedish language sufficiently well to be able to teach and to communicate with the university administration in Swedish.
Design and content of the application
We would recommend you to write your application in English, since it will be assessed by international experts. The application should be formulated according to the Faculty of Science’s Application Instructions for teaching positions. Upload the application as PDF-files in the recruitment system.
The university applies individual pay determination. You are welcome to include a salary requirement in your application.
Required Research Experiences
YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCEMore than 10
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELMathematics: PhD or equivalent
EURAXESS offer ID: 628596
Posting organisation offer ID: 391419
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.