ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Antwerp
RESEARCH FIELDChemistry › Organic chemistryChemistry › Other
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE01/06/2021 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONBelgium › Antwerpen
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Department of Bioscience Engineering in the Faculty of Sciences is looking for a full-time (100%) doctoral scholarship holder in the field of defected titania for photocatalytic CO2 reduction.
- You will work actively on the preparation and defence of a PhD thesis on synthesis and characterization of defect-enriched titania to be applied in photocatalytic CO2 reduction reactions. Synthesis of ‘colored’ titania will be achieved through sonochemistry. You will become part of a multidisciplinary research consortium, wherein synthesized materials will be characterized by means of advanced tools, including EPR, high resolution Raman spectroscopy, and electron titration methods. The final goal of this PhD is to apply defect-enriched titania in photocatalytic CO2 reduction reactions, and to study the relation between the material properties and the activity/selectivity of the photocatalytic reaction.
- You will publish scientific articles related to the research project.
- You will carry out a limited number of teaching and research support tasks for chemical courses within the curriculum of Bio-science Engineering.
- You hold a Master degree in Bioscience Engineering, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or similar, or you will have obtained it by the time you start work.
- You can demonstrate excellent study results.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- You can also work independently and you are solution-driven.
- Having experience in (nano)materials synthesis is an asset, as well as experience in operating various characterization and detection tools (such as UV-Vis, FTIR, GC,…)
- You are motivated to apply for competitive external research funding, such as a personal doctoral scholarship. A (soon to be obtained) European Master degree is a significant asset in this regard.
What we offer
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of one year. Following a positive evaluation, the scholarship can be renewed for another three-year period.
- The planned start date is 1 September 2021, but can still be discussed with the selected candidate.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for contract research staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will do most of your work at Campus Groenenborger in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 31 May 2021 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on the 'Apply' button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments: a motivation letter and your academic CV.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure. After a first screening based on motivation letter and CV, pre-selected candidates will receive an invitation for an interview scheduled around mid-June.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Prof. Dr. Ir. Sammy Verbruggen (Sammy.email@example.com).
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.
EURAXESS offer ID: 626913
Posting organisation offer ID: 157192
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.