ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Bergen
RESEARCH FIELDInformation science
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE01/06/2021 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNorway › Bergen
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK37,5
UiB - Knowledge that shapes society
Through robust and close interaction with the world around us – globally, nationally and locally – we shall be instrumental in building a society based on knowledge, skills and attitudes.
Do you want to take part in shaping the future?
Department of Information Science and Media Studies has a vacant permanent position as associate professor in media studies within the field of media, democracy and public sphere.
The Department of Information Science and Media Studies is a research oriented multidisciplinary department situated at the Faculty of Social Sciences. The Department is hosting several research projects within media studies and information science, including MediaFutures – center for research driven innovation, in partnership with major national media and technology partners.
The Department has 35 permanent academic staff members and approximately 30 PhD and postdoc positions. The Department offers separate Bachelor- and Masterprograms in information science, artificial intelligence, cognitive science, media studies, as well as programs in film and TV-production, journalism, and interaction design located in the recently established media cluster Media City Bergen.
The media and communication research at the department is organized in four research groups: Rhetoric, democracy and public culture; Media aesthetics; Journalism; and Audience research.
More information about ongoing research and teaching at the Department on www.uib.no/infomedia
Work tasks/research field:
The position is part of the department’s focus on democracy and public sphere research, where rhetoric, strategic communication and the cultural and political public is central. The hired person will be part of a research community examining digitalization and technology driven changes in society, changes in public debate and political communication, and processes of opinion- and attitude change in individuals, groups, and in culture and society. Particularly relevant in this research is the importance of rhetorical communication, argumentation, reception, credibility, and trust. The applicant must be able to participate actively in such research and must have the ability to produce research plans and development of research projects.
Time allocation for the position is 50% research and 50% teaching and admin duties. The position includes teaching at bachelor's, master's and PhD level on the department's study program in media & communication, with special responsibility for the program's offerings within media, democracy and the public, as well as strategic and political communication. Extensive collaboration has been facilitated between the department's study programs. The successful candidate is expected to teach at all levels, as well as supervising PhD-candidates.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- Applicants must hold a PhD in media studies, communication, rhetoric, or corresponding research fields.
- A strong academic background and documented expertise in the research areas mentioned above. This implies a demonstrated ability to publish research at a high international level beyond the PhD dissertation.
- Well documented progress in research and publication, as well as plans for future research and publication, are desirable.
- The assessment of the applicant’s scientific work will focus primarily on research published during the last five years.
- Experience in initiating, managing and operating major externally funded research projects is an advantage.
- We seek dedicated researchers, university supervisors and teachers with the skills necessary to collaborate, and to work independently. Personal aptitude will be important for the position.
The teaching language will normally be Norwegian. The successful applicant will be required to teach in Norwegian or another Scandinavian language within two years of being appointed.
Basic teaching training and experience in the supervision of students at university level is a requirement for the position (link). This implies completed formal pedagogical training, as well as basic skills in planning, implementation, evaluation, and supervision. Should the successful applicant not have such competence at the time of appointment, he/she will be required to document such training within two years of the date of appointment. The University Pedagogy Unit at UiB offers the required courses.
Pedagogical competence must be documented in a pedagogical portfolio that should include a documented overview of practical experience and competence, as well as a brief reflection statement. The statement should primarily describe the applicant’s own teaching philosophy. Recent student evaluations will be an asset.
We can offer:
- A good and professionally challenging working environment.
- Salary at pay grade 68 - 75 (code 1011/ pay range 24) in the state salary scale. This currently amounts to an annual salary of NOK 618 600 – 708 000 before taxes. Further increase in salary will depend on seniority. A higher salary may be considered for a particularly well-qualified applicant.
- Enrollment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund and good welfare benefits.
- Relocation package offering help to establish your partner and/or family.
- The city of Bergen – a welcoming and well-connected European city with a unique mix of vibrant life and extraordinary nature.
Your application must include:
- A cover-letter including motivation for applying, as well as a summary of planned research activities and initiatives.
- Five publications (uploaded to the application system) to be considered in the assessment, include also a list of the five publications with full reference to publication arena and declarations of co-authorship to clarify your contribution.
- Complete list of publications
- Teaching portfolio
- Certified copies of diplomas and certificates
- The contact details of two references
The application, including documents with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language, must be uploaded at Jobbnorge.
The closing date is 1st June 2021 (CET). The application has to be marked with: Reference 21/4164
Detailed information about the position can be obtained by contacting: Head of Department, Professor Leif Ove Larsen, email@example.com
Practical questions about the application process should be directed to: HR manager Bjørn Arild Petersen, firstname.lastname@example.org
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
We encourage women to apply. If multiple applicants have approximately equivalent qualifications, the rules pertaining to moderate gender quotas shall apply.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
For further information about the recruitment process, click here.
About The University of Bergen
The University of Bergen is a renowned educational and research institution, organised into seven faculties and approximately 54 institutes and academic centres. Campus is located in the centre of Bergen with university areas at Nygårdshøyden, Haukeland, Marineholmen, Møllendalsveien and Årstad.
There are seven departments and three centres at Faculty of Social Sciences. Read more about the faculty and departments.
EURAXESS offer ID: 626619
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.