RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)Established Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE23/07/2021 17:07 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONGermany › Jülich
TYPE OF CONTRACTTo be defined
JSC - Jülich Supercomputing Centre
Area of research:
Scientific / postdoctoral posts
Supercomputers help us find solutions to major scientific challenges and are indispensable for modern research. The Jülich Supercomputing Centre (JSC) operates the most powerful computer systems for scientific and technical applications in Europe and makes it available for research purposes to scientists at Forschungszentrum Jülich, in Germany, and throughout Europe. JSC performs various research and development tasks, frequently in tight cooperation with national and international partners. The DEEP-SEA and IO-SEA projects are funded by the European Commission as part of the Euro HPC initiative. They will deliver the programming and data flow environment for future European exascale systems, adapting all levels of the software stack—including low-level drivers, computation and communication libraries, IO, resource management, and programming abstractions with associated runtime systems and tools—to support highly heterogeneous compute, memory, and storage configurations. A core strategy of DEEP- and IO-SEA is that all these elements are co-designed in concert with important European research codes. The Terrestrial Systems Modelling Platform (TSMP) for regional Earth system modelling ( www.terrsysmp.org ) is the only application participating in both projects, and will be one of the first exascale-ready codes. TSMP is a physically-based representation of water, energy and momentum transport across scales down to sub-km resolution including explicit feedbacks between groundwater, the land surface and atmosphere with a focus on the terrestrial hydrological and energy cycles. TSMP is developed and maintained at the Simulation and Data Lab Terrestrial Systems at JSC in close collaboration with the Institute of Bio and Geosciences (IBG-3) and the Geoverbund ABC-J. TSMP will help guide the co-design of the next generation of HPC software stacks and I/O strategies for exascale computing, ensuring its applicability in the next generation of supercomputers.
- Implement novel programming models and I/O strategies to enable an exascale-ready TSMP based on the developments from various teams within DEEP- and IO-SEA.
- Perform model profiling of computation, memory, communication and I/O performance (including the complete data workflow) of TSMP under real application conditions.
- Contribute to establishing TSMP’s requirements for exascale computing software stacks, programming models, data storage and staging models.
- Participate in the development of TSMP’s heterogeneous and modular computing development strategy towards exascale scaling in collaboration with the team of the Simulation and Data Lab Terrestrial Systems.
- Communicate with the teams participating in co-design of exascale software stacks.
- Perform and analyse demonstration simulations with TSMP in the context of DEEP- and IO-SEA exascale performance goals.
- Writing internal project reports and scientific publications.
- A Master and PhD degree (or equivalent degrees and experience) in one or more of the following disciplines: hydrology, climate science, computer science, environmental science, geosciences.
- Experience and interests in HPC and modelling, preferably in Earth system
- Experience with TSMP and/or its model components (COSMO, Parflow, CLM, PDAF) and coupler (OASIS) is of significant advantage
- Experience with heterogeneous computing platforms (e.g., GPUs) is of clear advantage
- Fluent in written and spoken English
We work on the very latest issues that impact our society and are offering you the chance to actively help in shaping the change! We support you in your work with:
- A large research campus with green spaces, offering the best possible means for networking with colleagues and pursuing sports alongside work
- Vibrant, international, interdisciplinary working environment on an attractive research campus, situated between the cities of Cologne, Düsseldorf, and Aachen
- Development of your personal strengths through a wide spectrum of advanced training and professional development programs
- Flexible working hours and family friendly solutions
- Full-time position with the option of slightly reduced working hours and 30 days of annual leave
- Targeted services for international employees, e.g. through our International Advisory Service
We offer you an exciting and varied role in an international and interdisciplinary working environment. Limited until 31.03.2024. Salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement for the Civil Service (TVöD).Forschungszentrum Jülich promotes equal opportunities and diversity in its employment relations.We also welcome applications from disabled persons.
This research center is part of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers. With more than 42,000 employees and an annual budget of over € 5 billion, the Helmholtz Association is Germany's largest scientific organisation.
EURAXESS offer ID: 625605
Posting organisation offer ID: 2021-137
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.