ORGANISATION/COMPANYNTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE09/05/2021 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNorway › Trondheim
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37,5
This is NTNU
At NTNU, creating knowledge for a better world is the vision that unites our 7 400 employees and 42 000 students.
We are looking for dedicated employees to join us.
You will find more information about working at NTNU and the application process here.
About the position
We have a vacancy for a two-year position as a Postdoctoral fellow at the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Trondheim, Norway. The position is devoted to research in the field of hydraulics with focus on embankment dam safety.
The work will be conducted as a part of the Norwegian Centre for Hydropower Technology (HydroCen) (https://www.ntnu.no/hydrocen), which is a Centre for Environment-friendly Energy Research established by The Research Council of Norway. Its main objective is to enable the Norwegian hydropower sector to meet complex challenges and exploit new opportunities through innovative technological solutions. NTNU is the host institution and is the main research partner together with SINTEF Energy Research and the Norwegian Institute for Nature Research (NINA). HydroCen include almost 60 national and international partners from industry, R&D institutes and universities.
The postdoctoral candidate continues an ongoing research within the HydroCen project Dam construction and dam safety (https://www.ntnu.edu/hydrocen/embankment-dam-safety), which considers safety and protection of embankment dams under both operational and extreme loading conditions affected by climate change. The focus is on riprap erosion protection, dam toe and breaching processes.
You will report to a project manager/associate professor.
Duties of the position
- Conducting and planning experimental hydraulic research
- Contributing to report and application writing
- Analysis of new and existing data
- Writing scientific publications
- Supervision of Master’s thesis students participating in the experimental research
- Contributing to meetings with research partners
Required selection criteria
A postdoctoral research fellowships is a qualification position in which the main objective is qualification for work in academic positions. You must have completed a Norwegian doctoral degree in Hydraulic/Dam Engineering or Costal Structure/Marine Structure Engineering or corresponding foreign doctoral degree recognized as equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree is required.
If, for any reason, you have taken a career break or have had an atypical career and wish to disclose this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account, recognizing that the quantity of your research may be reduced as a result.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant.
- Hands-on experience with experimental hydraulic research involving earth materials, such as rockfill and riprap
- Documented experience with scientific publishing in highly regarded peer-reviewed journals
- Documented experience relating to structural/hydraulic aspects of dams, revetments, breakwaters or erosion protection
- Programming skills, for example using Matlab or similar
- Applicants must have excellent English language skills, written and spoken
- Information on nationality due to security clearance required by the Norwegian Security Act, related acts and regulations affecting industrial partners in the project
Preferred selection criteria
- PhD research into embankment dams or marine/coastal structures such as breakwaters/revetments, and/or research into riprap erosion protection
- Experience with geotechnical/soil mechanics software of relevance for dam engineering purposes
- Relevant industry experience may be an advantage
- Good Scandinavian (Norwegian, Swedish or Danish) language skills
- Structured, targeted and solution-oriented
- A team player with ability to work with an interdisciplinary team
- Self-driven with a strong ability to work independently when required
- Personal skills like a positive and friendly attitude and contributing to a sustainable social environment will also be valued
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
The employment period is 2 years.
Postdoctoral candidates are placed in code 1352, and are normally remunerated at gross from NOK 545 300 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
The position is subject to external funding.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution daily. Startup date is 01.09.2021.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
The application must include following information in attachments:
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- Description of experimental work experience
- Academic works - published or unpublished - that you would like to be considered in the assessment (up to 5 works)
- List of all academic works
- Name, address and emails of three referees
Only applications that provide all the above information in an organized and clear manner will be considered.
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal suitability.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
In accordance with The Public Information Act (Offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Fjóla G. Sigtryggsdóttir, email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact Hege Johansen, e-mail: email@example.com
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Diploma Supplement is required to attach for European Master Diplomas outside Norway. Chinese applicants are required to provide confirmation of Master Diploma from China Credentials Verification (CHSI).
If you are invited for interview you must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters. Please refer to the application number IV-114/21 when applying.
Application deadline: 09.05.2021
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
We conduct research and teaching in civil and transportation engineering, technical planning, structural engineering, water and wastewater engineering and hydraulic engineering. Graduates from our programmes become employees – in both the public and private sectors – with a sustainability mindset combined with competitive knowledge and skills. The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering is one of eight departments in the Faculty of Engineering.
Open, Transparent, Merit based Recruitment procedures of Researchers (OTM-R)
Know more about it at NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Know more about OTM-R
EURAXESS offer ID: 625440
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.