RESEARCH FIELDComputer science › CyberneticsEngineering › Control engineeringPhysics › Statistical physics
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/06/2021 12:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONItaly › Trieste
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/11/2021
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER956457
ICTP - UNESCO is offering a PhD scholarship on olfactory search in a turbulent environment. The position is funded by the European Union Marie Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network CoPerMix (grant number 956457) on Control, Prediction and Learning in Mixing Processes within the Horizon 2020 Programme of the European Commission (https://www.copermix-itn.eu/). CoPerMix is a consortium of high profile universities, research institutions and companies located in France, Spain, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, Italy and the UK, and will train 15 PhD students in total (Early Stage Researcher, ESR). The PhD student will be based in Trieste, Italy at ICTP - The Abdus Salam International Center for Theoretical Physics and will be enrolled in the PhD program in Physics of the University of Trieste, Italy.
Description of the project: Odor-guided navigation is inherently difficult because turbulent air flow mixes the relevant chemical signal with clean air and with other background signals, resulting in a highly dynamic and complex odor landscape. Besides the immediate interest in animal behavior, understanding the principles of olfactory search and navigation stands at the basis of applications ranging from the localization of the source of dangerous substances to ecological control of vector-borne diseases. In the first stage, the problem of locating an odor source will be framed as a Reinforcement Learning problem and optimal solutions will be sought. This will also require answering the question about which is the most efficient representation of the olfactory landscape that the searcher must adopt for a given goal. Then we will turn to the problem of telling apart and reaching several distant sources which emit different odor blends, and we will also address the problem of cooperative olfactory search by many interacting agents.
The successful candidate will receive an attractive salary in accordance with the MSCA regulations for early stage researchers. The exact salary will be confirmed upon appointment and is dependent on the country correction factor (to allow for the difference in cost of living in different EU Member States). The salary includes a living allowance, a mobility allowance and a family allowance (if married). The guaranteed PhD funding is for 36 months.
- Qualifications and research experience: The applicant must fulfil the requirements defined for Early Stage Researchers (ESRs): ESRs are researchers who, at the time of recruitment, have NOT yet been awarded the doctorate degree and are in the first 4 years (full-time equivalent) of his/her research career.
- Mobility: At the time of recruitment, the applicant must not have been employed by the host organization for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to his/her recruitment.
The application, in English, must be submitted electronically to email@example.com and must include:
- Cover letter stating your motivation to apply and your key qualities relevant for this position.
- Up-to-date curriculum vitae.
- Diploma and transcripts of records (BSc and MSc)
- Contact information of two academic references.
Offer open until the position is filled.
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELPhysics: Master Degree or equivalentComputer science: Master Degree or equivalentEngineering: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Good
- Skills in programming and scientific software.
- Experience in theory-driven research with a clear view towards applications.
- Interest in collaborative multi-disciplinary research.
- The ability to communicate verbally and in written form in English.
Master degree or equivalent in physics (alternatively: BSc or equivalent in Physics and MSc or equivalent in other disciplines related to the project, including Engineering, Computer Science, etc)
Open, Transparent, Merit based Recruitment procedures of Researchers (OTM-R)
Know more about it at The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics
Know more about OTM-R
EURAXESS offer ID: 625437
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.