ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Bergen
RESEARCH FIELDInformation science › Other
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE01/06/2021 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNorway › Bergen
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK37.5
UiB - Knowledge that shapes society
Through robust and close interaction with the world around us – globally, nationally and locally – we shall be instrumental in building a society based on knowledge, skills and attitudes.
Do you want to take part in shaping the future?
There is a vacancy for a permanent associate professor position in information science within human computer interaction at the Department of Information Science and Media Studies.
The Department of Information Science and Media Studies is a research oriented multidisciplinary department situated at the Faculty of Social Sciences. The Department is hosting several research projects including MediaFutures – center for research driven innovation, in partnership with major national media and technology partners.
The Department has 35 permanent faculty members and approximate 30 PhD and postdoc positions. The Department offers bachelor- and masterprograms in information science, artificial intelligence and media studies, as wells as programs in film and TV-production, Journalism, and interaction design located in the recently established media cluster Media City Bergen.
The information science research at the department is organized in four research groups: Interaction Research Group, I2S Intelligent information system, and Logic, information and interaction, and DARS Behavioral data analytics & recommender system research group.
More information about ongoing research and teaching at the Department on www.uib.no/infomedia
Work tasks/research field:
The research field of the position is HCI, spanning from a technical to an empirical orientation. Time allocation in the position is 50% research and 50% teaching and administrative duties.
The successful applicant must be willing and able to teach HCI-courses at both undergraduate and graduate level. Teaching will mainly involve core curriculum courses in HCI, with both a technical and an empirical orientation. The candidate may also contribute to teaching human-centered AI, natural language understanding, logic reasoning, and/or symbolic logic. The teaching language will normally be Norwegian or English. The successful applicant will be required to teach in Norwegian or another Scandinavian language within two years of being appointed. The University of Bergen offers Norwegian language courses.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- The applicant must have a PhD in Computer Science, Information Science, or other engineering- or behavioral-science background with a relevant specialization in Human-Computer Interaction.
- Applicants ought to display an ability to publish research at a high international level beyond their PhD dissertation. Experience in initiating, managing, and operating large externally funded research projects is an advantage.
- The evaluation of the applicant’s scientific work will focus primarily on research published during the last five years.
- Personal aptitude will be of great importance. Cooperative skills, as well as plans for future research and ambition when it comes to teaching will be of added value.
- We particularly welcome candidates who have experience in designing activities and projects taking place in hands-on research lab settings.
Basic teaching training and experience in the supervision of students at university level is a requirement for the position (link). This implies completed formal pedagogical training, as well as basic skills in planning, implementation, evaluation, and supervision. Should the successful applicant not have such competence at the time of appointment, he/she will be required to document such training within two years of the date of appointment. The University Pedagogy Unit at UiB offers the required courses.
Pedagogical competence must be documented in a pedagogical portfolio that should include a documented overview of practical experience and competence, as well as a brief reflection statement. The statement should primarily describe the applicant’s own teaching philosophy. Recent student evaluations will be an asset.
We can offer:
- A good and professionally challenging working environment.
- Salary at pay grade 68 - 75 (code 1011/ pay range 24) in the state salary scale. This currently amounts to an annual salary of NOK 618 600 – 708 000 before taxes. Further increase in salary will depend on seniority. A higher salary may be considered for a particularly well-qualified applicant.
- Non-discriminatory hiring and promotion practices.
- Enrollment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund and good welfare benefits.
- Relocation package offering help to establish your partner and/or family.
- The city of Bergen – a welcoming and well-connected European city with a unique mix of vibrant life and extraordinary nature.
Your application must include:
- A cover-letter including motivation for applying, as well as a summary of planned research activities and initiatives.
- Five publications (uploaded to the application system) to be considered in the assessment, include also a list of the five publications with full reference to publication arena and declarations of co-authorship to clarify your contribution.
- Complete list of publications
- Teaching portfolio
- Certified copies of diplomas and certificates
- The contact details of two references
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at JobbNorge.
The closing date is 1st June 2021 (CET). The application has to be marked with: 21/4157
Detailed information about the position can be obtained by contacting: Head of Department, Professor Leif Ove Larsen, email@example.com
Practical questions about the application process should be directed to: HR manager Bjørn Arild Petersen, firstname.lastname@example.org
The faculty should reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. It is also a goal to recruit people with immigrant backgrounds. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
We encourage women to apply. If multiple applicants have approximately equivalent qualifications, the rules pertaining to moderate gender quotas shall apply.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions. Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at all times. Reference is made to the general University regulations that stipulate that, as part of the normal duties of the position and within his/her academic field, the successful applicant may also be required to teach, supervise, and carry out examination related tasks outside the organizational unit to which the position belongs.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
For further information about the recruitment process, click here.
About The University of Bergen
The University of Bergen is a renowned educational and research institution, organised into seven faculties and approximately 54 institutes and academic centres. Campus is located in the centre of Bergen with university areas at Nygårdshøyden, Haukeland, Marineholmen, Møllendalsveien and Årstad.
There are seven departments and three centres at Faculty of Social Sciences. Read more about the faculty and departments.
EURAXESS offer ID: 624895
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.