RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › BiodiversityEnvironmental science › Ecology
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)Established Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/05/2021 14:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONDenmark › Roskilde
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37
OFFER STARTING DATE01/09/2021
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / ERC
The Department of Environmental Science at Aarhus University, Roskilde, Denmark invites applications for a three-year postdoc position in Bioinformatics to strengthen and expand the research capability in the Cryo-Microbiology group (https://envs.au.dk/en/research-areas/climate-changes-in-arctic/cryo-microbiology/). The postdoc will be part of a vibrant international collaboration between Aarhus University and the German Research Centre for Geosciences to investigate microbial interactions on the Greenland ice sheet. This is part of an ERC-Synergy award to the project Deep Purple (https://www.deeppurple-ercsyg.eu/home), providing essential field and laboratory measurements of critical physical and microbial processes associated with the darkening of the Greenland Ice Sheet. Start date is subject to negotiation.
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELBiological sciences: PhD or equivalentComputer science: PhD or equivalentEnvironmental science: PhD or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
- The position requires a solid background in environmental bioinformatics. Ideally, the candidate should have experience with two or more computational languages and extensive experience with analysing databases.
- Experience with analyzing environmental samples from viruses to eukaryotic organisms and datasets from Illumina and Nanopore are desired skills.
- Applicants should as a minimum hold scientific qualifications equivalent to the PhD graduate level showing evidence of a strong and ambitious research oriented profile and an emerging publication record within microbial ecology.
- Applicants should have excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- The candidate is expected to be enthusiastic about working in an interdisciplinary academic environment and be very well organised.
- Experience in Arctic research is highly desired, but not essential if the candidate is a highly motivated scientist who is comfortable working in teams.
Specifically, the selected candidate is expected to:
- Develop and consolidate the research area of microbial interactions and genomes from glacial environments within the department. It is particularly beneficial if the candidate has documented experience with genomes, metagenomes, metagenome-assembled genomes and metatranscriptomes.
- Contribute to ongoing experimental and sampling design of genomic information from icy environments.
- Provide bioinformatics support to other projects within the department involving e.g., soil microbial interactions, plant-microbial interactions.
- Contribute to maintenance of local bioinformatics servers in the ENVS sequencing center.
- The main responsibility is research (including publication/academic dissemination duties).
EURAXESS offer ID: 624547
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.