RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE08/06/2021 23:59 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONFrance › AIX EN PROVENCE
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK35
OFFER STARTING DATE01/10/2021
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / ERC
- Post-doctoral researchers will develop their own research topic in relation to the MaDAf project.
- They will have to be available to carry out fieltrip in the countries of their research (collection of archives, oral interviews) for a period of a few days to several weeks.
- They will be part of the MaDAf project team and will participate in collective activities (organisation of seminars and scientific events, coordination of research and publications, etc.).
The project "A History of Madness in West Africa: Governing Mental Disorder during Decolonisation (1940s - 1970s)" funded by the ERC (European Research Council) started on 1 October 2020 at IMAF (Aix-en-Provence). This five-year research program (2020-2025) aims to retrace the history of madness in West Africa during the period of decolonisation and after independence. The project is located at the crossroads of the history of Africa, decolonisation and the history of madness. The MaDAf project also proposes a theoretical and methodological framework for the use of hitherto unexplored sources, beyond administrative archives and oral interviews (psychiatric hospital patient files), in order to construct a comparative history of madness from below. The project intends to draw a comparative social history of madness that goes beyond the history of psychiatry and, thus, to outline a broader set of reflections useful to the global history of madness.
Post-doctoral researchers will have to carry out their research in one of the three areas of the MaDAf project:
- Multi-sited history of places and actors of the therapeutic care of madness (hospitals, psychiatric services, religious care places, etc.)
- Daily government of madness by a set of non-medical actors (justice, police, "traditional" and religious authorities) looking at mental disorder through the prism of the repression of marginality.
- Madness and war trauma generated by the world conflicts and the wars of decolonisation among colonial soldiers. The issue can also be extended to other conflicts involving soldiers of national armies in West Africa after independence.
- The position is based at IMAF (Aix-en-Provence, MMSH). The postdoctoral fellows are expected to strengthen the multidisciplinary team (historians and anthropologists) at IMAF and to participate in the scientific activities of the laboratory (research seminars, meetings, etc.)
- A budget is allocated to post-doctoral fellows to carry out their fieldwork.
- To have defended a doctoral thesis in contemporary history, anthropology or African studies before the start of the contract. Applications of candidates who are about to complete their PhD may be examined provided that they are defended as soon as possible and within a timeframe compatible with the administrative requirements of the project.
- Have a research project corresponding to the MaDAf project and be familiar with at least one of the countries covered by the project (West Africa as a whole, whether French, English or Portuguese speaking)
- Good knowledge of archive collections and interviews' methodology
- Demonstrate a good command of the English language, and the possible use of French as a language of communication (at least in a passive form, in order to be able to fit into the host laboratory).
Candidates must hold a PhD degree before the start of the contract. Applications of candidates about to complete their PhD may be considered, provided that they are defended quickly and within a timeframe compatible with the administrative requirements of the project.
The selection is divided into two stages. A first selection will be made on the basis of the candidate's application file and an interview will be organised in the first week of July for the selected candidates.
Applications must include the following documents
- Letter of motivation (1 page)
- Curriculum vitae and list of publications
- Research project (3 to 5 pages maximum detailing the project, sources and methodology)
- Copy of thesis diploma (with defense report, if applicable).
Web site for additional job details
Required Research Experiences
YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCENone
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELHistory: PhD or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESFRENCH: Basic
EURAXESS offer ID: 623594
Posting organisation offer ID: 20700
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.