ORGANISATION/COMPANYALMA MATER STUDIORUM - Università di Bologna
RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Control engineeringEngineering › Design engineeringEngineering › Industrial engineeringEngineering › Materials engineeringEngineering › Mechanical engineeringEngineering › MicroengineeringEngineering › Nuclear engineeringEngineering › Precision engineeringEngineering › Process engineeringEngineering › Project engineeringEngineering › Simulation engineeringEngineering › Sound engineeringEngineering › Systems engineeringEngineering › Thermal engineeringMathematics › Computational mathematicsPhysics › AcousticsPhysics › Applied physicsPhysics › Classical mechanicsPhysics › ThermodynamicsTechnology › Energy technologyTechnology › Environmental technologyTechnology › Industrial technologyTechnology › Instrumentation technologyTechnology › Materials technologyTechnology › Micro-technologyTechnology › NanotechnologyTechnology › Nuclear technologyTechnology › Production technologyTechnology › Sound technologyTechnology › Transport technology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE21/05/2021 12:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONItaly › Bologna
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/11/2021
The PhD Program is developed according a detailed program defined by the Graduate School Board, and is structured in three curricula:
- Engineering and Industrial Design, Machine Construction, Metallurgy, and Manufacturing Technologies
- Internal Combustion Engines, Fluid Machinery, Energy Conversion Systems, Mechanics of Machines, and Industrial Mechanical Plants
- Thermal Physics, HVAC Systems, Acoustics, Nuclear Technologies, and Industrial Applications of Plasmas
The PhD course provides a training program with academic and professional purposes. It develops the candidate's ability to carry out research and projects with an independent, systematic and in-depth approach, through a training program of advanced studies, consisting in courses, seminars, and the preparation of a doctoral Thesis, under the supervision of one or more supervisors. The candidate must also show that he/she can support, present and discuss his/her work in a clear and effective way, in Italian and English.
Curriculum 1: Engineering and Industrial Design, Machine Construction, Metallurgy, and Manufacturing Technologies
The curriculum pursues the education of researchers and high-qualified engineers, operating in the fields of Mechanical Engineering and able to address issues related to design and research activities in disciplines such as:
- Tribological behaviour of metallic materials, with and without surface modifications
- Metallurgical features of metallic components produced by innovative process, such as additive manufacturing
- Mechanical design and structures
- Microstructure and mechanical properties of advanced metals and metal matrix composites
- Experimental stress analysis, characterization and development of constitutive models
- Design methods and tools in industrial engineering
- Mechanical technologies and materials
Curriculum 2: Fluid Machinery, Energy Systems, Mechanics of Machines, and Industrial Mechanical Plants
The curriculum includes different subjects, ranging from internal combustion engines to industrial mechanical plants. For the cultural fields Internal Combustion Engines, Fluid Machinery, Energy Conversion Systems the curriculum studies fluid machinery and energy conversion systems, addressing thermodynamic, fluid dynamic, energetic, ecological and technological issues by means of modeling, control and testing. In particular, the main research areas are:
- Modeling, control and testing of internal combustion engines and hybrid vehicles
- Fluid dynamics simulation of internal combustion engines and fluid machinery
- Numerical and experimental analysis in the field of gas turbines, combined cycles, steam engines, prime movers, and integrated systems for the processing and storage of energy from renewable and non-renewable sources.
For the cultural fields Mechanics of Machines and Industrial Mechanical Plants the curriculum comprises scientific and operative issues concerning the analysis, design and management of devices, machines, processes and industrial plants, through the adoption of a systemic approach and of methodologies drawn from theoretical, applied and experimental mechanics, industrial plants and production. The main research areas are:
- Automation, robotics and mechatronics
- Vehicles, transport and lifting systems
- Dynamics and machine vibrations
- Monitoring, diagnostics and prognostics of mechanical systems
- Industrial plants and production systems
- Maintenance and industrial safety
- Logistics and operations
Curriculum 3: Thermal Physics, HVAC Systems, Acoustics, Nuclear Technologies and Industrial Applications of Plasmas
- Heat transfer and convection theory
- Thermal analysis of porous media
- Thermal and fluid-dynamic aspects of single-phase and two-phase flows in conventional devices and microdevices (microfluidics)
- Applied thermal engineering and HVAC systems
- Heat exchangers and heat recovery systems
- Renewable energy for HVAC (heat pumps, solar plants)
- Environmental acoustics, building acoustics, architectural acoustics, sound absorbing materials and systems, noise control techniques, digital processing of acoustic signals and lightning
- Energy efficient buildings
- Design of nuclear plants
- Risk analysis and safety
- Modelling of neutron, charged particle and photon transport
- Applications of nuclear technologies to medicine, industry and cultural heritage
- Direct Numerical Simulation (DNS) of two-phase flow
- Development and validation of advanced computing platforms
- Thermo-hydraulics of advanced nuclear reactors
- Reliability and risk analysis at the system level
- Calculation of thermodynamic and transport properties of plasmas
- Physical modelling and design oriented simulation of plasma assisted processes
- Diagnostics of plasma sources and processes
- Biomedical applications of cold atmospheric plasmas and plasma medicine.
The yearly gross amount of the scholarships is € 15.343,28. Social-security contributions are deducted monthly from the gross scholarship by the University on behalf of the PhD candidates. Scholarships are paid to PhD candidates on a monthly basis, in arrears (payment is completed not earlier than the 25th day of the month).
Please, see the Call for applications
Qualifications and research project evaluation
More information in the PhD Programme Table.
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELOther: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Good
Applicants, regardless of age and citizenship status, can apply for the admission to the selection procedure if they have awarded at least one of the following degrees:
- Laurea Magistrale, Magistrale a ciclo unico or Laurea Specialistica (Master’s Degree);
- Laurea di Vecchio Ordinamento (pre-1999 reform);
- A Second Cycle Degree awarded by academic institutions part of AFAM (Alta Formazione Artistica e Musicale);
- A non-Italian Second Cycle Degree (Master’s Degree or Single Cycle Degree) awarded by an academic institution equivalent to the above mentioned degrees (letters a, b, c).
Applicants who are yet to obtain their Second Cycle Degree are admitted to the selection procedure on condition that they obtain their degree by no later than October, 31st 2021.
- Multi-annual research project
- Abstract of the second cycle master’s degree thesis
- List of the publications (monographs, articles published on scientific journals)
- List of the minor publications (conference papers, volume’s chapters, etc.)
- Research activity
- Language proficiency certificates
- Periods of study abroad, outside the country of origin (e.g. Erasmus programme or other similar mobility programmes).
- Other qualifications attesting the suitability of the applicants (scholarships, prizes, etc).
More information in the PhD Programme Table.
EURAXESS offer ID: 623020
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.