ORGANISATION/COMPANYRCSI - Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › BiologyNeurosciences › Neurobiology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)Recognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE16/05/2021 23:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONIreland › Dublin
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK39
Title: Post-doctoral Researcher
Department: Physiology and Medical Physics
Tenure: Specified Purpose Contract, full time for up to 12 months
Location: 123 St Stephen’s Green
Reporting to: Dr Tobias Engel
Salary: Post-doctoral Researcher Scale, Point dependent on experience
Proposed Start Date: May / 2021
As a University of Medicine and Health Sciences, the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland (RCSI) is a degree-awarding health sciences institution specialising in medical and health sciences education, surgical training and research. As a global institution with undergraduate medical programmes in Dublin, Bahrain and Malaysia; Schools of Medicine, Pharmacy and Biomolecular Sciences, Physiotherapy, Postgraduate Studies and Nursing and Midwifery; and Leadership Institutes in Ireland and Dubai, RCSI has a broad international reach and the ability to unlock significant advancement for patient safety and clinical outcomes worldwide.
RCSI recognises that excellence in research is critical to the quality of its educational activities, its credibility, and, overall, to its mission to enhance human health. Recently, RCSI has implemented a new research strategy that will build upon its strength in translational biomedical and clinical research to deliver transformational, high impact changes in health care. Targeting both Irish national and EU funding, along with increased collaboration with industry, is a major part of the RCSI research strategy. Forging increased collaboration between RCSI PIs and industry is of critical importance to achieving success in this area. RCSI is also committed to provide its researchers with the supports and developmental opportunities to enable them to continuously grow and support their overall career development.
The newly-hired Post-doctoral Researcher will be working in the laboratory of Dr. Tobias Engel testing new treatment strategies for epilepsy.
Specifically, the duties of the post are:
- Carrying out animal work in compliance with HPRA, EPA and RCSI Ethics policies and regulations.
- Analysis of brain tissue using different laboratory techniques (e.g. qPCR, immunostaining, Western blotting, FACS).
- Train postgraduate students.
- Publish research findings.
- Attend conferences and disseminate research.
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELNeurosciences: PhD or equivalent
- A PhD in a related area such as Neuroscience.
- Experience working with laboratory animals if possible.
Knowledge & Experience – (Essential):
- General lab experience; molecular biology and/or neuroscience research area would be an advantage.
- Familiarity with laboratory Health and Safety protocols and procedures.
- Strong organisation and project management skills to ensure tasks are delivered on time and within agreed parameters.
- Strong communication skills with a proven ability to liaise with various stakeholders across a number of different departments.
Skills & Competencies:
- Scientifically competent.
- Effective communications style – excellent English.
- Proficiency in Computer/Presentation skills.
- Ability to make decisions and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work on one’s own initiative as well as in a team environment.
EURAXESS offer ID: 621523
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.