ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Belgrade
RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Civil engineeringEngineering › Mechanical engineeringEngineering › Simulation engineering
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE30/06/2021 12:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONSerbia › Belgrade
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK-
OFFER STARTING DATE01/11/2021
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER955944
The University of Belgrade – Faculty of Mechanical Engineering is seeking to appoint two high-caliber Early Stage Researcher (ESR) to join the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network - European Industrial Doctorate RE-FRACTURE2 'Modeling and optimal design of refractories for high temperature industrial applications for a low carbon society'.
Early Stage Researcher 6: Topology and geometry optimization of refractory devices
Fixed-Term – 36 months: from 1st November 2021 to 31st October 2024
The RE-FRACTURE2 project is an Innovative Training Network (ITN) funded within the Marie Sklodowska-Curie action by the Framework Programme of the European Union for Research and Innovation Horizon2020. Innovative Training Networks (ITN) drive scientific excellence and innovation. They bring together universities, research institutes and other sectors from across the world to train researchers to doctorate level.
This project aims to train motivated international Early Stage Researchers (ESRs), through the international collaboration of Industry and Academia. At the end of the project, the participating researchers are awarded with the PhD title - European Industrial Doctorate (EID).
The objective of the project is to derive new computational models for refractory materials, which will make possible for the first time to simulate in-silico their behaviour over the whole of working temperature range. These models will be a breakthrough in the design of components like refractory nozzles, plates, ladle and tundish slide gate systems, which will directly translate to energy savings, waste reduction and decreases in pollution and CO2 emission, together with safety improvements.
About BU: Department of Strength of Materials at the Faculty of Mechanical engineering – University of Belgrade consists of highly qualified academic professors experienced in training and tutoring young scientists and students. Members of the Department have significant expertise in the theory of optimization applied to engineering problems, material parameter identification both through computational and experimental strategies. The work at Faculty of Mechanical engineering is focused on promotion of research in key areas in engineering, in training of engineers and scientist for the future generations and in establishing relations with industrial companies both at national and international level. To achieve these ambitions goals, the Faculty seeks for highly qualified individuals.
The Role (for the ESR6 position)
ESR will be enrolled on the PhD programme in Faculty of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Belgrade. The ESR will perform research on the structural optimization techniques, particularly in the application of topology optimization to refractory devices. The work will be supervised by Prof Vladimir Buljak at the University of Belgrade and by Dr Massimo Penasa at CAEMATE.
Further information about the PhD projects is below:
Title: Topology and geometry optimization of refractory devices
Objectives: The PhD student will focus on the study, the development and the implementation of Topology Optimization (TO) techniques in order to apply them to the optimization of refractory products. Loads, boundary conditions and constrains will be taken from realistic refractory products, supplied by VESUVIUS, with the main goal to maximize their selected performance. For finding the optimal solution to the formulated nonlinear programming problem, different methods are going to be tested, including sequential quadratic programming, method of moving asymptotes, as well as derivative free, soft computing techniques based on genetic algorithms. In order to accelerate the conventionally adopted approaches, where highly nonlinear FEM simulations are used to evaluate the design performance, reduced order models will be implemented. Developed novelties are going to be on methodological side and therefore not restricted to the application only on selected products.
Development and implementation of novel Topology Optimization (TO) procedures for iterative optimization of refractory devices;
- Application of the designed TO procedure to improve the performance of selected refractory products
The student will spend the first half of the training program principally at the host institution (BU, 17 months), with one month secondment at VESUVIUS. In this phase, he/she will be introduced to the most recent theories and applications of TO. The following secondment period of 18 months at CAEMATE will focus on the computational implementation of the developed techniques and their industrial use
The other Consortium partners:
About VESUVIUS: Vesuvius Group SA (VESUVIUS) is a global leader in the supply of specialized refractory products and packaged technology solutions to the steel making, foundry and glass industries, employing more than 12,000 people in 90 different countries. Vesuvius develops and produces highly specialized Flow Control Systems packages which contain advanced refractories and devices for the controlled casting of liquid steel mainly for the process of continuous casting in steel plants. R&D activities at Vesuvius Ghlin site include fundamental research in refractory material characterization on thermomechanical behaviour and material modelling by finite element analysis, in addition to continuous research to advance the state-of-the-art in flow control equipment and technology. These activities support the essential contribution of Vesuvius towards realizing the targets of the steel industry to produce high quality steel at the lowest possible energy consumption, hence reducing CO2 emission and production cost.
About University of Trento: The Department of Civil, Environmental and Mechanical Engineering (DICAM) at the University of Trento (UNITN) pursues high level scientific and teaching objectives, regarding research and training, in line with the most important research intensive universities. DICAM also promotes significant interrelations with public authorities and private companies, at local, national and international level. DICAM’s mission is laid down in the following specific targets: i) the promotion of research in key areas of Engineering; ii) the training of engineers and researchers of the future generations. It has achieved an excellent position, in the 251-300 group, in the World University Ranking 2019 and it is 36th in the University in the Europe Teaching Rankings.
About CAEmate: CAEmate is a rapidly growing hi-tech company active in the development of innovative software solutions and cloud applications targeted to engineering workflow automation. The company employs the most advanced technologies in object oriented programming, cloud-computing and numerical simulation (FEA, CFD, DEM) to improve efficiency and safety in the engineering design procedures. The company is located in Bolzano, in Northern Italy.
The successful candidate will be a team player, prepared to work closely with the Project’s senior staff and other ESRs. The successful candidate will receive a prestigious fellowship and will benefit from a wide-ranging training programme and activities, which will encompass:
- Being part of a network of leading scholars working on innovative technologies for heat resistant devices.
- Regular training schools pertaining to both, technical skills on topics in heat resisting devices relevant to the scope of the RE-FRACTURE2 project, and a range of transferrable skills (research management, communication, dissemination, etc.).
- A secondment to one of the partners in the RE-FRACTURE2 consortium.
- Establishing a professional network in academia and industry.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Undertake postgraduate research in support of the agreed doctoral research project.
- Work closely with the academic and industrial supervisors to ensure the compatibility of the individual project with the overall goals of RE-FRACTURE2.
- Disseminate the research outputs through publications in international journals.
- Present the research at major international conferences to both academic and non-academic audiences.
- Communicate the results of the project through outreach activities.
- Attend and participate in academic and non-academic conferences, events and seminars.
- Attend and participate in all training events and supervisory meetings.
- Be seconded to other network partners as necessary to fulfill the grant obligations.
- Prepare progress reports and similar documents on research for funding bodies, as required.
- Contribute to the delivery and management of the wider Programme, including attending and participating in programme committee meetings.
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the ESR may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above duties responsibilities.
How to apply
Application should be submitted to email@example.com with the subject “Application for RE-FRACTURE2 ESR position”
The link to the requirements for the enrolment at doctoral studies at the University of Belgrade will be available from beginning of May.
Candidates must include the following:
- a copy of the Master’s and Bachelor’s certificates and the respective Transcripts of Records;
- the summary of the Master’s degree thesis;
- a letter of motivation;
- at least one presentation letter by a previous scientific supervisor;
- a declaration regarding the country where they have resided or carried out their main activity(work, studies, etc.) in the 3 years immediately prior to the date of application;
- a research proposal consistent with the purpose of the research, in which the candidate explains how he/she would develop the research topic;
- a professional-scientific CV, demonstrating their skills and ability to conduct the research program described in this call. The CV must be dated and signed by the applicant; ideal CV format is European format, because of its contents. In particular, academic degree, list of publications, working experience have to be clearly expressed, by following the principles of relevance, completeness and discretion in disclosing personal data;
- the publication list and any additional certificate or qualification that helps demonstrate their merit (the list of qualifications and publications must be signed by the applicant);
- a copy of their ID card or other form of identification.
Successful candidates will receive a salary/fellowship in accordance
with the MSCA regulations for Early Stage Researchers. The exact
salary/fellowship will be confirmed upon appointment and will amount:
- living allowance: € 2200.71 per month (before employer and employee deductions)
- an additional taxable monthly mobility allowance of € 600.00
- if applicable an additional taxable monthly family allowance of € 500.00 subject to the family status of the appointee.
Funding is guaranteed for 36 months. In addition to their
individual scientific projects, the successful candidates will benefit
from further continuing education, which includes internships and
secondments, a variety of training modules, as well as courses on
transferable skills and active participation in workshops and
All candidates must meet the following requirements to be considered for this post:
- Researcher status: Early-Stage Researchers
(ESRs) shall at the time of recruitment by the host organisation be in
the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their
research careers and not yet have been awarded a doctoral degree.
Full-time equivalent research experience is measured from the date when a
researcher obtained the degree which would formally entitle him or her
to embark on a doctorate, either in the country in which the degree was
obtained or in the country in which the researcher is recruited.
- Nationality: Applicant ESRs can be of any nationality.
- Mobility requirements: At the time of recruitment
by the host organisation, researchers must not have resided or carried
out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of their
host organisation for more than 12 months in the three years immediately
prior to the recruitment date. Compulsory national service and/or short
stays such as holidays are not taken into account.
The selection and recruitment processes of the ESRs will be in
accordance with the European Charter and Code of Conduct for the
Recruitment of Researchers and guidelines described in the Grant
Agreement of the RE-FRACTURE2 project. The recruitment process will be
open, transparent, impartial, equitable, and merit-based. There will be
no overt/covert discrimination based on race, gender, sexual
orientation, religion or belief, disability or age. To this end, the
following selection criteria for the recruitment of the ESRs will be
- Curriculum vitae
- Academic performance (diplomas, university transcripts, etc.)
- Research and industrial experience
- Awards and fellowships
- Publications and patents
- Research, leadership, and creativity potential
- English knowledge
- Reference letter
- Other relevant items based on the specific candidate
The applications will be reviewed and the shortlisted candidates
will be invited to a Skype/MS Teams/Zoom interview. The position
remains open until filled
For more information about the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions -
Innovative Training Networks (ITN) including Eligibility Criteria see:
For more information about the post, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
By applying to this position, you give consent to circulate your application within the consortium members.
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELEngineering: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
- A first-class Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Solid and Structural Mechanics, Civil/Structural/Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline.
- A sound background in solid mechanics, material mechanics, and experience in coding.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, including presentation skills.
- Highly proficient English language skills.
- Excellent organisational skills, attention to detail and the ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to think logically, create solutions and make informed decisions.
- Willingness to work collaboratively in a research environment.
- A strong commitment to your own continuous professional development.
- Ability to travel and work across Europe.
EURAXESS offer ID: 621055
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.