ORGANISATION/COMPANYThe University of British Columbia (UBC)
RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Materials engineering
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE17/04/2022 22:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONCanada › Kelowna
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
The School of Engineering at the University of British Columbia (UBC) invites applications for a Postdoctoral Fellow (PDF) position supervised by Dr. Jian Liu. This PDF position will be located at UBC's Okanagan campus.
We are seeking a PDF to lead the development of supercapacitor technology in close collaboration with a Canadian clean-tech company over the next three years.
Qualifications of the applicant:
- Have completed a relevant Ph.D. (e.g., in materials science, electrochemistry, or chemistry) within the last 5 years.
- Be highly motivated, organized, a good communicator (written and verbal), and passionate about research.
- Thrive in a team environment and mentoring/team-building role.
- Have a strong desire to conduct transformational research in close collaboration with the industry.
- Previous research experience in supercapacitor technology.
Ideally, expertise in:
- Technical aptitude in a laboratory environment, including electrode materials synthesis, electrode fabrication, supercapacitor assembly, electrochemical testing and characterization techniques, experimental setup, and operation.
- Carbon/metal oxide electrode materials, liquid electrolytes, and solid electrolytes for supercapacitors.
- Supercapacitor pouch cell assembly and testing.
Responsibilities and training:
- Develop new electrode materials, electrolytes, and electrolyte additives to improve the overall performance (capacitance, energy density, and low/high-temperature properties) of supercapacitors.
- Refine manufacturing aspects of the electrode and supercapacitors.
- Deliver clear and concise written and oral presentation of data, analysis, and internal/external reports. Prepare manuscripts for publications and present their work at national/international conferences.
- Communicate with the industrial partner to update progress, receive guidance on new assignments, make preliminary selections on technical alternatives, and independently complete recurring assignments.
- Mentor junior students in both technical and safety matters.
Duration & Salary:
This full-time PDF position has an initial 1-year appointment (as per UBC policy for PDFs), with the potential for annual renewal/promotion for up to 5 years.
Salary will start at $45,000/year in the first year and be commensurate with qualifications.
The anticipated start date is as soon as possible (negotiable). Review of applications will start immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Please send your CV, cover letter, and contact information of 3 references, addressed to Dr. Jian Liu at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
This posting is for the UBC Okanagan campus in Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada.
Please refer to reference number EU-54974 during correspondence about this position.
Equity and diversity are essential to academic excellence. An open and diverse community fosters the inclusion of voices that have been underrepresented or discouraged. We encourage applications from members of groups that have been marginalized on any grounds enumerated under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
The University of British Columbia is a global centre for research and teaching, consistently ranked among the top 20 public universities in the world. UBC's Okanagan campus is an intimate learning community embracing bold new ways of thinking. We attract exceptional students and faculty who aim to change the world.
Postdoctoral Fellows at UBC Okanagan
UBCO is home to a growing population of over 60 postdocs, contributing to a thriving culture of research that impacts our region, our country and the international community. The College of Graduate Studies partners with faculties and campus services to deliver mentorship opportunities, workshops, events and enriching experiences that prepare postdocs for futures in academia and the professional world. Our Postdoctoral Association provides and builds a welcoming community for postdocs on the UBC Okanagan campus.
UBC's Okanagan campus borders the dynamic city of Kelowna, a hub of economic development with a population of about 150,000 people - the fourth fastest growing population in Canada. In fact, the Okanagan Valley is rated one of the best communities in Canada to grow your business. More than 160 buses travel daily from campus to key locations such as Kelowna's cultural district and thriving downtown waterfront. The campus is two minutes from the Kelowna International Airport, one of the top 10 busiest airports in Canada.
EURAXESS offer ID: 620209
Posting organisation offer ID: 54974
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.