ORGANISATION/COMPANYCentre Internacional de Mètodes Numèrics en la Enginyeria
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/05/2021 12:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONSpain › Barcelona
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
Title of the PhD project: Computational design and optimization of wireless power transfer (WPT) metamaterials
Electrical energy is object of an increasing interest in the challenge of replacement of contaminating energies (fuel-based energies) by clean energies, especially in the automotive sector. The “Wireless Power Transfer” (WPT) term stands for the wireless” (through-air) transmission of electrical energy via two sequential energy-transform processes:
1) The emitted electric energy is transformed, via a specifically designed coil placed in the initial position, in a magnetic flow ruled by the classical Maxwell’s laws for electromagnetic induction,
2) This magnetic flow reaches a second, coil placed at a certain distance and position, that makes the inverse function: transforms the magnetic flow into electrical energy (the absorbed electrical energy). As a result, the electrical energy has been wirelessly transported, which, in addition, can be done dynamically (the two points can be moving from one another).
The challenge to be addressed is the enormous loss of efficiency (power losses) when the distance between the emitter and receiver points goes beyond a few centimeters, which precludes the use of WPT for many practical purposes . The idea behind the proposed research is to contribute to solving the challenge of these losses by designing materials for coils , with unusual properties (electromagnetic meta-materials) to “amplify” the intensity of the magnetic flow by using architected multi-scale topology optimized coils, to exploit the phenomenon of “electromagnetic-resonance”. The phenomenon is somehow the “inverse” of the “acoustic resonance” one successfully used in the group for achieving high efficiency attenuating acoustic meta-materials .
The applications of this technology are multiple , e.g.., fast and efficient battery recharging (in service stations) by electrical cars positioned on fixed or moving WPT devices, selective dynamic exchange of electrical energy “donated” from fuel-powered cars to electrical cars” in roadways, among many others.
The functions assigned to the candidate will be:
- Complete a PhD on Structural Engineering at Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya – Barcelona Tech. The candidate is expected to complete the PhD thesis in a maximum of three years.
- Collaborate with various research groups within CIMNE and worldwide.
- To publish a minimum of two papers in JCR journals during the PhD period, author and co-author articles in high-impact international journals
- Carry out quality research, training and management.
- Participate on the dissemination and outreach activities associated with the project
- Participate in international conferences presenting her/his work
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELEngineering: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
- Master degree in Aeronautical, Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, Engineering, Physics, or similar.
- Deep acquaintance with numerical modelling and simulation (computational mechanics)
- Familiar with scientific coding languages (Matlab, Python, C++ etc…) and good abilities for scientific programming.
- Knowledge of English.
EURAXESS offer ID: 620120
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.