ORGANISATION/COMPANYCentre Internacional de Mètodes Numèrics en la Enginyeria
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/05/2021 12:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONSpain › Barcelona
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
Title of the PhD project: Data-driven patient-specific reduced-order models supporting decision making in bioengineering
Numerical models are important tools for decision making in the broad field of biomedical engineering and, in particular, in computer-assisted surgery: from thrombectomy interventions  to cell mechanobiology and tissue engineering . In this context, the systems and the phenomena to be modelled are extremely complex. The resulting computational models rely on a large number of input parameters (their values depend on the specific patient) and require using fine grids inducing high computational costs. Consequently, clinicians and experimentalists are, in practice, deprived of these models as a support for decision making. Moreover, the credibility of the results (associated with accuracy, robustness, and dispersion of the results) is jeopardized by the limited computational resources and the necessity of a prompt response. This calls for strategies that effectively reduce complexity and increase computational efficiency. Accordingly, this PhD project will be carried out in a strongly multidisciplinar environment (from Biomechanics to Computational Engineering) and will focus on developing, analyzing and implementing data-assisted parametric models of patient-specific vascular tissues and biocompatible structural devices. Emphasis is made on low-dimensional parametric models producing real-time responses [3,4], in front of parameter variations accounting for patient-specific features. A standard model might take hours or days of computational time, here we aim at seconds or minutes. The computational accuracy and credibility of the surrogate models devised in the project will be assessed using verification and validation strategies.
The functions assigned to the candidate will be:
- Complete a PhD on Civil Engineering at Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya – Barcelona Tech. The candidate is expected to complete the PhD thesis in a maximum of three years.
- Collaborate with various research groups within CIMNE and worldwide, namely Laboratory of Biological Structure Mechanics, Dept. of Chemistry, Materials and Chemical engineering “G. Natta”, Politecnico di Milano
- To publish a minimum of two papers in JCR journals during the PhD period, author and co-author articles in high-impact international journals
- Carry out quality research, training and management.
- Participate on the dissemination and outreach activities associated with the project
- Participate in international conferences presenting her/his work
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELEngineering: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
- A bachelor and MSc degree (or equivalent) in Mathematics, Civil or Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Physics or a related field in a recognized high-education institution
- A good command of English
- An enthusiastic attitude to conduct research, being hard-worker and critic
- Knowledge of programming languages such as Matlab, Python, Fortran
- Familiarity and curiosity for data science and modelling.
EURAXESS offer ID: 620087
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.