ORGANISATION/COMPANYCentre Internacional de Mètodes Numèrics en la Enginyeria
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/05/2021 12:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONSpain › Barcelona
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
Title of the PhD project: Enhanced Concrete Additive Manufacturing technologies for building and construction
This project aims to the development of concrete AM technologies, namely D-shape and Contour-crafting, suitable for building and construction.
D-shape is a novel powder-bed technique for Additive Manufacturing (AM) using cement-based materials and polymeric fibres which has proved to be a promising construction technology, still under development. D-Shape is a method of digital construction making use of a binder jetting 3D printer for civil and architectural applications. D-Shape materializes building or architectural components directly from the CAD design by spreading a sequence of layers of granular material. A selective binder jetting allows for turning the granular material into the expected shape.
Contour Crafting (CC) additive manufacturing (AM) technology uses specially designed robotic systems to build self-resistant structural components (capable of resisting their own weight at fresh state) making use of data from 3D computer-aided design (CAD) systems. This AM system allows minimizing construction times and the avoidance of formworks and labour-force, while reducing the cross-section material consumption and guaranteeing sustainable (economic, environmental and social) solutions versus those traditionally used in building and construction.
This goal will be achieved by means of the following prospective outcomes:
- Development of a D-Shape AM-design framework for: a) the numerical analysis and simulation of the D-shape AM construction process, and b) the analysis of the built structure under in-service operations. The software platform will be able to reproduce the whole construction process and to predict and monitor the performance of 3D-printed structures computing the mechanical properties (stiffness and strength) during the whole duration of the D-shape process and at any point of the built structure. It will also useful for optimizing the amount of material needed for the construction process, as well as for predicting the behaviour of the D-Shape AM structure under service load conditions.
- Development of a CC/AM-design framework for the numerical simulation of the CC/AM construction process and the in-service operations. The CC/AM software platform will reproduce the AM construction process and will also predict and monitor the performance of the AM structures, computing the mechanical properties (stiffness and strength) during the duration of the CC/AM process at any point of the built structure.
The functions assigned to the candidate will be:
- Complete a PhD on Structural Analysis at Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya – Barcelona Tech. The candidate is expected to complete the PhD thesis in a maximum of three years.
- Collaborate with various research groups within CIMNE and worldwide.
- To publish a minimum of three papers in JCR journals during the PhD period, author and co-author articles in high-impact international journals
- Carry out quality research, training and management.
- Participate on the dissemination and outreach activities associated with the project
- Participate in international conferences presenting her/his work
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELEngineering: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
- The position is aimed at students (Spanish nationals, EU and non EU citizens) who have completed one of the following options:
- The studies that lead to an official Spanish, or European Higher Education Area, 1st cycle university degree (BSc) in Structural, Civil or Mechanical Engineering and that have 180 credits (ECTS) of an official university degree.
- A degree from a non-European Higher Education Area university that gives access to MSc studies in Structural, Civil or Mechanical Engineering.
- Excellent academic record.
- Advanced knowledge of Continuum and Computational Mechanics (master level).
- High working knowledge of English (Minimum B2).
- Programming skills: Fortran 2008 Object Oriented, Python
- Windows and Linux OS
- Previous research or academic experience in the field of the position
- Language skills: Spanish
EURAXESS offer ID: 620079
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.