ORGANISATION/COMPANYCentre Internacional de Mètodes Numèrics en la Enginyeria
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/05/2021 12:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONSpain › Barcelona
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
Title of the PhD project: Disaster risk assessment for earthquake-induced hazards
Earthquakes can trigger secondary hazards such as landslides and tsunamis. The triggering process, the occurrence of simultaneous losses, and how to quantify the variation in the structural vulnerability of buildings and infrastructure need to be well captured to provide robust multi-hazard risk results. Besides knowing the baseline risk conditions, there is a growing interest in performing assessments for future scenarios on which the variations of the characteristics of exposure, population, and vulnerability need to be forecasted.
The PhD student will conduct research related to multi-hazard risk assessments, focusing on earthquakes as triggering events, aiming to use the modeling results as support for risk-informed decision-making processes and the improvement of risk governance.
The Ph.D. student will model the interrelations between primary and secondary events exploring the impact(s) of dynamic exposure and vulnerability characteristics. We invite applications for this Ph.D. opportunity to improve the understanding of multi-hazard risk assessment and cutting-edge research on disaster risk reduction.
The functions assigned to the candidate will be:
- Complete a PhD on Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics at Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya – Barcelona Tech. The candidate is expected to complete the PhD thesis in a maximum of three years.
- Collaborate with various research groups within CIMNE and worldwide.
- To publish a minimum of two papers in JCR journals during the PhD period, author and co-author articles in high-impact international journals.
- Carry out quality research, training and management.
- Participate on the dissemination and outreach activities associated with the project.
- Participate in international conferences presenting her/his work.
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELEngineering: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
- The PhD position suits a student with strong physical sciences background who holds a civil engineering degree and a master’s degree in civil, structural and/or earthquake engineering.
- Previous experience in earthquake risk assessment (deterministic and/or probabilistic) is preferred.
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English and Spanish.
- Programming skills (such as VB.NET, Matlab, Python or R).
EURAXESS offer ID: 619590
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.