ORGANISATION/COMPANYCentre Internacional de Mètodes Numèrics en la Enginyeria
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/05/2021 12:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONSpain › Barcelona
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
Title of the PhD project: Artificial intelligence tools to recognizing frequentation in natural spaces.
Motivation: The main objective of the PhD work is the research and development of a tool to improve knowledge about frequentation in natural spaces.
The PhD work will focus on the development of two systems: (a) a system for recognizing frequentation in natural spaces with artificial intelligence (AI) and Deep Learning (DL) that allows the monitoring and registration of the frequentation based on images, sound records and IoT devices and (b) an early warning system, embedded in the same IoT devices, that allows two-way communication between users and managing body, using the mobile screen as the screen that any citizen carries in their pocket, but without having to download any phone application. This early warning system must include a Machine Learning (ML) tools to, depending on the environmental variables and pre-existing frequentation, modify the message of the communications to the users.
This Ph.D. work will be based on concepts gained from previous CIMNE frameworks developed in the framework of Hamelin project, and include software developed in IDL and compilation of varied data sources in a single GIS, computational models’ repository.
Expected outcomes are the following:
- The development of a system for the recognition of frequentation in natural spaces based on artificial intelligence (AI) tools. The purpose of this objective is to quantify the frequentation (people and vehicles) through AI tools applied in-camera records, sound records of the natural environment, and through the use and interaction of people with the deployment of IoT devices.
- The development of an early warning and decision-making system based on machine learning (ML) tools for the analysis of information on the frequented route. The purpose of this objective is to provide useful information on the natural environment and possible effects on the user and to facilitate efficient decision-making in real-time in environmental management by the managing bodies responsible for the protection of natural environments.
Other possible areas of application of the technology developed could be the protection of the terrestrial and marine environment, the sustainable management of the territory, and in particular of natural resources, the maintenance of biodiversity and ecosystems, the sustainable management of agriculture, aquaculture, livestock, forest resources, integrated water management and technologies aimed at the efficiency of use in irrigation, rural, urban and industrial environments, the fight against desertification, the management of forest fires or the study of erosion.
The functions assigned to the candidate will be:
- Complete a PhD in Artificial Intelligence at Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya – Barcelona Tech. The candidate is expected to complete the PhD thesis in a maximum of three years.
- Collaborate with various research groups within CIMNE and worldwide.
- To publish a minimum of two papers in JCR journals during the PhD period, author and co-author articles in high-impact international journals
- Carry out quality research, training and management.
- Participate on the dissemination and outreach activities associated with the project
- Participate in international conferences presenting her/his work
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELEngineering: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
- A bachelor and MSc degree (or equivalent) in ICT (Telecommunication/Computer engineering preferred), Mathematics, Civil Engineering, Geotechnics/Geographical, Physics/Geo, Earth Sciences (Biology, Sea scientist or similar) or any other science/engineering field.
- Advanced knowledge of Programming and Software design (master level).
- Solid knowledge of ML, DL and Computer Vision (CV) theory.
- Proficiency using Python and DL frameworks such as PyTorch or TensorFlow.
- High working knowledge of English and Catalan/Castilian (Minimum B2).
EURAXESS offer ID: 619506
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.