ORGANISATION/COMPANYCentre Internacional de Mètodes Numèrics en la Enginyeria
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/05/2021 12:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONSpain › Terrassa
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
Title of the PhD project: Data intelligence and advanced control technologies to enable energy flexibility and renewable energy in low and medium voltage electricity networks
The introduction of flexible and distributed energy resources in the low and medium voltage networks, is one of the main challenges that distributed generation systems and smart grids should face. Such resources need the development of new Demand Response (DR) services which are necessary to guarantee a stable operation of the distribution and transmission networks. They are as well a key issue for the massive deployment of renewable energy (RES) generation and storage systems, as well as for the effective integration of prosumers in the energy system.
At the level of TSOs and DSOs there are initiatives to open the electricity markets to aggregators or to energy communities. However, the engagement of these agents will be linked to their capability to compete in bid based marketplaces, where an advanced control of end users generation/consumption/storage profiles should be managed. At the present time, the engagement of end users, as well as the role of the DSOs in this new paradigm is still missing. On the other hand, the massive penetration of smart meters and the increasing monitoring of the low and medium voltage electricity network makes large amounts of data available and ready to contribute to increase the grid management intelligence.
This PhD is devoted to develop new data driven methods, as well as new edge intelligent systems that should enable an effective connection between the DSOs, the aggregators, the distributed Energy resources (DER) and the small scale end-users. The availability of local data will permit to provide optimal forecasting and predictive control methods for the end users, based on the analysis of their consumption, generation and storage capabilities. Moreover, by using Artificial Intelligence (AI) techniques, as well distributed intelligence at the edges of the grid, district level profiles will be issued, permitting not only to analyze solutions for end users, but also for energy communities. The PhD is supported by a very active network of Catalan DSOs (PEUSA, ESTABANELL and Bassols), which are fully engaged in offering their electricity infrastructure and all their data management architecture as real operational test-beds for the developments to be carried out within this PhD proposal.
The functions assigned to the candidate will be:
- Complete a PhD on Electrical Energy Systems at the Campus in Terrassa, of the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya – Barcelona Tech. The candidate is expected to complete the PhD thesis in a maximum of three years.
- Collaborate with various research groups within CIMNE and worldwide.
- To publish a minimum of two papers in JCR journals during the PhD period, author and co-author articles in high-impact international journals.
- Carry out quality research, training and management.
- Participate on the dissemination and outreach activities associated with the project.
- Participate in international conferences presenting her/his work.
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELEngineering: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
- Education in either MSc in Computer Science, MSc in Telecommunications, MSc in Electrical Engineering, MSc in Data Science
- Overall marks profile with an average higher than 7,5 over 10 (following the Spanish score) or equivalent
- Good knowledge of IoT tools and protocols (Node Red, MQTT, VPN…)
- Minimum knowledge of Data Base management (relational and non-relational)
- Minimum knowledge of Cloud based systems and tools (Docker, AWS, Azure)
- Good knowledge of electrical engineering related to low and medium voltage networks
- Good level of Python or R programming
- Good English communication skills
- Spanish or Catalan will be positively considered
EURAXESS offer ID: 619504
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.