ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversitat de Girona
RESEARCH FIELDComputer scienceEngineering › Computer engineeringEngineering › Electrical engineeringEngineering › Maritime engineering
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE01/05/2021 12:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONSpain › Girona
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37.5
OFFER STARTING DATE01/07/2021
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020
This position is offered under the framework of EU H2020 project DeeperSense. This project seeks a novel approach of using Artificial Intelligence and data-driven Deep Learning to combine non-visual and visual sensors with the objective of improving environment perception beyond the abilities of the individual sensors. We focus on underwater robotics as a domain to demonstrate and verify this approach, as it is considered one of the most challenging application areas for robot operation and environment perception.
A central goal of this PhD work is to use advanced machine learning techniques to enable multisensor fusion of different sources, mainly from side scan sonars and multibeam echosounders. Optical imagery will be used as another layer for training and benchmarking with the overall objective of allowing accurate sea-floor characterization from an AUV without the need for optical imagery. Other topics of research will be tailored to the student’s interests and may include methods based on machine learning for processing forward looking sonar in mapping in 2D and 3D, explainable AI applied to sensors and others.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Development of novel perception methods for underwater robotics based on optics and acoustics.
- Development of novel approaches for intersensoric learning.
- Authoring and co-authoring of journal and conference articles
- Communicating with our industrial partner (Tecnoambiente, SA) and participate on field experiments using the underwater robots of the University of Girona and those of the Deepersense consortium
- Participation in project activities such as meetings and joint field experiments
Submission instructions and further information: https://vicorob.udg.edu/careers/
Applications are evaluated based only on the information available by the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above. The application must include:
- A short motivation letter (1 page max) stating the interest in the topic, and indicating how the applicant envisages their contribution within the research area.
- CV including information on the education background and work experience.
- Scanned copies of transcripts from Bachelor & Master degrees. Candidates from universities outside Spain should also prepare a Diploma Supplement or similar documentation, which describes in detail the program of study, the grading system and the rights for further studies associated with the obtained degree. Certified copies of these documents will be required immediately in case of the candidate being selected.
- Contact information for two references (including email addresses and telephone number)
- English language proficiency documentation (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS, etc.). This requirement is waived for applicants whose mother tongue is English.
- Publications and other academic works that the applicant would like to be considered in the evaluation must accompany the application. Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify the individual applicant’s contribution to joint works, the applicant must include a brief description of his or her contribution.
Required Research Experiences
YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCE1 - 4
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELEngineering: Master Degree or equivalentOther: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
- The candidate should have excellent verbal and writing skills in English, and excellent communication skills,
- Concrete knowledge in the programming languages C/C++ and Python,
- Experience in computer vision and machine learning / deep learning / AI.
- Hands-on experience in visual and acoustic sensors is a plus
- Experience in hands on activities with robots is a plus,
- Experience of Robot Operating System (ROS) and Matlab is a plus
- Willingness to participate in short research stays at other consortium centers
PhD Enrollment: PhD in Technology, from the School of Doctoral Studies of the University of Girona. The project involves collaboration with DFKI (Germany), University of Haifa (Israel), and the companies Tecnoambiente, SL (Spain) and Kraken Robotics (Germany)
EURAXESS offer ID: 619436
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.