ORGANISATION/COMPANYComplutense University of Madrid
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › OtherTechnology › Materials technology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE21/05/2021 11:36 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONSpain › Madrid
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37,5
OFFER STARTING DATE01/09/2021
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER956274
General project´s description:
EYE is an ITN project funded by the EC within the H2020 programme providing training and professional development to 5 Early Stage Researchers (ESR) in Vision Sciences and Optical Imaging Technologies. The duration of the contracts is 36 months. EYE is an industrial doctorate which implies that students will spend 50% of time working in a private sector. EYE-EID will provide to its students an unique opportunity to gain knowledge, skills, and experience through experimental optical training, computational simulation, and cutting-edge clinical applications.
EYE counts with the participation of the Complutense University of Madrid (UCM) (Spain) with a multidisciplinary research involving Biochemistry, Physics, Optics and Vision Sciences areas, and two industrial partners: Mark'ennovy (United Kingdom), a leading European company specialized in the design, manufacture and sale of CL and Alain Afflelou (Portugal), an optical centres group, which will facilitate the interaction with the presbyopic population and clinicians.
The EYE project aims to analyse, simulate, improve and assess current presbyopia correction strategies in order to choose the optimal contact lens for each patient, offering new presbyopic solutions based on the eye-vision particularities of each person in a personalized way.
The research program will focus on:
(1) New designs of presbyopic contact lenses.
(2) New Contact Lens Materials.
(3) Computer modelling of eye response and adaptation to new contact lenses
(4) Validation of patient’s outcomes reports on global contact lens performance.
(5) Development of e-Health instruments and technologies for Big Bata analysis in contact lens for presbyopia.
ESR 2 POSITION. Project Title: New Contact Lens Materials
This position involves work for 18 months at private company, Mark'ennovy (United Kingdom), and 18 months at Complutense University of Madrid (UCM) (Spain).
The main aim of this project is to identify materials (other than silicone) that allow higher oxygen transmission compared to traditional hydrogels and investigate the compatibility of these materials for a CLs application e.g. transparency, biocompatibility etc. In parallel, molecules with anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and antinociceptive properties will be explored.
Required Research Experiences
YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCE1 - 4
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELOther: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
- Excellent English and Spanish language and communication skills (speaking, listening, reading and writing). Fluency in French and/or Portuguese will be considered as a plus.
- Motivation to pursue a PhD, work independently and collaborate and engage within the international network.
- Willingness to relocate and reside in two different countries and to travel for secondments, training and project meetings.
- Knowledge in statistics and data management (knowledge of software such as SPSS Statistics, MATLAB or similar).
- Experience in translational medicine is desirable: basic, preclinical (in vitro and animal testing) and clinical research.
- Applicants must be available to start the PhD position before 1 September 2021.
EURAXESS offer ID: 618474
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.