ORGANISATION/COMPANYFaculdade de Medicina
RESEARCH FIELDMathematics › StatisticsMedical sciences › OtherOther
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)Leading Researcher (R4)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/05/2021 17:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONPortugal › Lisbon
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK35
OFFER STARTING DATE01/09/2021
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020
Job Position: ERA Chair (Full time)
Category: Professor (R3/R4) (Associado or Catedrático Convidado in the Portuguese system)
Scientific Area: Data Science, Medical Statistics, Health Informatics, Artificial Intelligence in Medicine, Biostatistics
“iSTARS - Informatics and Statistical Tools for the Advancement of Research Success” is a project of Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade de Lisboa (FMUL, Portugal) recently funded by the EU for a 6-year period (Grant agreement ID: 952377, https://cordis.europa.eu/project/id/952377). iSTARS will enact a true transformational change that will promote excellence in research and in acquisition of funding, by forming a new unit led by a researcher recruited for the ERA Chair position.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual with excellent scientific credentials in the general scientific area of the project (above), at the R3 or R4 level, who is willing to help build a robust and leading group in data science for health research. The successful candidate is expected to shape this new research direction in interaction with other researchers of the School of Medicine, participate in defining new teaching needs in the areas of the project, and lead an inter-disciplinary team in research and acquisition of new funding.
Type of contract and benefits
“Contrato de Trabalho em Funções Públicas a Termo Resolutivo Certo” (fixed term public service contract) with a term corresponding to the intended period of the project (expected to be at least 5 years). The contract may be renewed one time, for the same or shorter period, as long as the total duration does not exceed 6 years. It is envisaged that at the end of the project, a successful scientist may have the potential for a permanent position at the School of Medicine.
• Full-time contract – Professor Associado or Catedrático Convidado in the Portuguese system;
• Remuneration package matched to the levels of Teaching Staff in Public Higher Education (in Portugal), including benefits available for Public Administration employees;
• Opportunity to work in an innovative research environment with potential for impact across the Institution;
• Autonomy and independence to pursue scientific research to shape the field of data analytics in the context of a vibrant Medical School;
• Startup research funds, including to hire a team of researchers immediately (2-3 researchers).
How to apply
Applicants should submit in a single PDF document:
Detailed Curriculum Vitae in English, including list of publications (with web links, if available);
Copy of relevant diplomas (namely PhD) with English translation (if not in Portuguese);
A cover letter in English detailing how you will help us achieve the objectives of the ERA Chair project as explained in this document;
The contact information of 4 references (name and email address).
Applications or request for information should be submitted by email to email@example.com
Evaluation and Selection
Applications will be evaluated by a selection panel. After a first selection round, a short list of applicants will be furnished with more information about the ERA Chair project and asked to submit a more detailed research/implementation plan. Some or all of the short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview.
The selection panel includes: Prof. António Vaz Carneiro (FMUL), Prof. Marie Davidian (North Carolina State University, USA), Dr. Ana Godinho (CERN, Switzerland), Prof. Luísa Loura (Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa), Prof. Ruy Ribeiro (FMUL), Prof. Rodolphe Thiebaut (Université de Bordeaux, France).
The position will remain open until filled, but to be considered during the first round of selection, send your application by April 15th, 2021.
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELOther: PhD or equivalent
The successful candidate will have made first-rate contributions to areas of interest for this project, namely data science for health research (for example, but not exclusively, medical statistics, artificial intelligence in health/medicine, medical informatics, big data in health research, biostatistics, epidemiology). You will have demonstrated potential as a first-rate researcher, capability to attract research funding, successful experience in teaching, and a proven track-record of administration of research, and will be willing to manage (with administrative support) the ERA Chair project, which funds the position. The ERA Chair holder will have a strong focus on interdisciplinary research and promoting collaborations among multiple stakeholders, both within the School of Medicine and farther afield, including the University of Lisbon and societal partners (e.g., pharmaceutical companies, public organizations, patients’ associations).
Essentials Skills & Qualifications
• PhD in an appropriate field and at least 5-years research experience after the PhD – this position is for an Established (R3) or Leading (R4) researcher;
• Strong track record in scientific research in the field of the ERA Chair project, as shown by scientific publications in major international peer-reviewed journals, invitations to speak at multiple venues;
• Demonstration of successful application to research funding from various international entities;
• International experience, ideally in more than one country;
• Leadership qualities in scientific research and science administration, including team management;
• Excellent teaching skills and supervision of research projects for Masters and PhDs;
• Good communication skills: experience in public dissemination of scientific results will be valued;
• Written and spoken English proficiency (Portuguese proficiency is not mandatory).
EURAXESS offer ID: 611742
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.