RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE23/07/2021 17:07 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONGermany › Jülich
TYPE OF CONTRACTTo be defined
PGI-6 - Elektronische Eigenschaften
Area of research:
At the Peter Grünberg Institute - Electronic Properties (PGI-6) we explore the interrelations between electronic structure and physical properties such as magnetism and magnetic phenomena by applying, for example, synchrotron radiation techniques. We are promoting the concept of designing and optimizing future spintronic device functionalities through the design and engineering of the interfacial band structure. We are pursuing a research program focused primarily on novel topological phases and phenomena in atomically thin magnetic layers and heterostructures. We use advanced synthesis techniques and electronic band structure imaging to establish the details of band hybridizations in prospective systems, which subsequently are characterized by magnetotransport measurements. We envision that these systems will enable dissipationless edge transport and high efficiency of the charge-spin conversion in future spintronic devices. In a long-term perspective this research program can potentially contribute to progress in bio-inspired (neuromorphic) and quantum computing.
Have you been fascinated by the novel quantum materials that are the backbone of the second quantum revolution? If yes, consider to apply for a new PhD-student opening at the Electronic Structure group at PGI-6.The discovery of topology in the electronic structure has revolutionized the way we think about electronic matter. At PGI-6 we are studying novel quantum materials with the main focus on topology and magnetism. Our main technique is a high-resolution spin- and angle-resolved photoemission (spin-ARPES) and we operate one of the best lab-based laser-driven spin-ARPES spectrometers worldwide.Within this framework your tasks will include:
- Experimentally investigate novel quantum materials
- Initial work will focus on investigation of magnetic topological insulators
- Exchange with internal and external as well as national and international project partners
- Preparing scientific publications and project reports
- Masters degree (or equivalent) in Physics
- Good written and spoken English skills
- High degree of independence and commitment
- Reliable and conscientious style of working
- Excellent ability to cooperate and work in a team
We work on the very latest issues that impact our society and are offering you the chance to actively help in shaping the change! We offer ideal conditions for you to complete your doctoral degree:
The appointment will be within the frame of the ML4Q Excellence Cluster ( ml4q.de )
- Work will be performed at the laboratory at PGI-6 and, if needed, at various synchrotron laboratories in Europe and worldwide
- Outstanding scientific and technical infrastructure – ideal conditions for successfully completing a doctoral degree
- A highly motivated group as well as an international and interdisciplinary working environment at one of Europe`s largest research establishments
- Chance of participating in (international) conferences and project meetings
- Continuous, professional support by your scientific supervisor
- Further development of your personal strengths, e.g. via a comprehensive further training programme
- Pay in line with 50 % of pay group 13 of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD-Bund), and additionally 60 % of a monthly salary as special payment („Christmas bonus“). Pay up to 75% may be possible, if additional conditions are fulfilled.
- Usually a contract for the duration of 3 years
A structured doctoral degree programme for you and your supervisors with a comprehensive further training and networking package on our doctoral researchers’ platform JuDocs www.fz-juelich.de/judocs
- Information on employment as a PhD student at Forschungszentrum Jülich can be found here (http://www.fz-juelich.de/gp/Careers_Docs)
- Support for international employees, e.g. through our International Advisory Service
Further information on doctoral degrees at Forschungszentrum Jülich including our other locations is available at: www.fz-juelich.de/gp/Careers_DocsForschungszentrum Jülich promotes equal opportunities and diversity in its employment relations.We also welcome applications from disabled persons.
This research center is part of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers. With more than 42,000 employees and an annual budget of over € 5 billion, the Helmholtz Association is Germany's largest scientific organisation.
EURAXESS offer ID: 610585
Posting organisation offer ID: 2021D-028
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.