RESEARCH FIELDComputer science › Informatics
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE16/03/2021 19:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONPortugal › Braga
TYPE OF CONTRACTOther
INESC TEC is now accepting grant applications to award 1 Research Grant (BI) within the scope of the project AIDA, cofunded by the ERDF - European Regional Development Fund, through the Operational Programme for Competitiveness and Internationalisation - COMPETE 2020 Programme and by National Funds through the FCT - Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology, I.P. on the scope of the CMU Portugal Program on the scope of POCI-01-0247-FEDER-045907
1. GRANT DESCRIPTION
Type of grant: Research Grant (BI)
General scientific area: COMPUTER SCIENCE
Scientific subarea: Informatics
Grant duration: 6 months, starting on 2021-04-01, with the possibility of being renewed until the end of the project. Scientific advisor: Jose´ Orlando Pereira
Workplace: INESC TEC, Braga, Portugal
Maintenance stipend: €805,98, according to the table of monthly maintenance stipend for FCT grants, paid via bank transfer. Grant holders may be awarded potential supplements, according to a quarterly evaluation process (Articles 19, 21 and 22 of the Regulations for Grants of INESC TEC and Annex II), up to a maximum limit of 50% of the monthly maintenance stipend.
Costs attributable to INESC TEC may include registration, enrolment or tuition fee stipend, either directly or through reimbursement, during the grant duration.
The grant holder will benefit from health insurance, supported by INESC TEC.
The AIDA project is developing an infrastructure-aware polyglot query engine for the data lake that enables querying heterogeneous data sources for an hybrid cloud/edge environment. In particular, factors such as the distribution of the data (cloud vs edge) and the capabilities of the data sources should be considered in the cost model used for query planning and optimization. The goal is to push-down queries to thebacking data sources as much as possible to minimize data transfer, taking advantage of materialization as needed to either overcome limitations in the data sources or minimize query latency. In this context, this project aims at exploring the balance between data synchronization and query delegation.
3. BRIEF PRESENTATION OF THE WORK PROGRAMME AND TRAINING:
- Research, design and implement polyglot database systems for Edge computing;
- Evaluate and assess the performance of the designed protocols;
- Contribute to writing scientific papers.
The tasks described in this work plan require the application and development of concepts and techniques in the area of Computer Science and may contribute to dissertation projects of Integrated Masters in Informatics Engineering or Master in Informatics Engineering.
4. REQUIRED PROFILE:
Student in informatics engineering (master's level) or related area. The awarding of the fellowship is dependent on the applicants' enrolment in study cycle or non-award courses of Higher Education Institutions.
- Knowledge of database technologies;
- Proficient in English (written and spoken)
- Solid knowledge of distributed systems;
- Current partial average of 15 or higher (Portuguese scale from 0 to 20);
- Proficient in Portuguese (written and spoken).
5. EVALUATION OF APPLICATIONS AND SELECTION PROCESS:
Selection criteria and corresponding valuation: the first phase comprises the Academic Evaluation (AC), based on the criteria referred to in Article 12 of the Regulations for Grants of INESC TEC, while the second phase comprehends the Individual Interview (EI). All factors are evaluated on a scale of 0 to 100, taking into account the applicants' merit, suitability and conformity with the preference factors.
The weight of the AC factors are as follows: Academic Qualifications (FA, 70%), Scientific Publications (PC, 0%), Experience (EX, 20%) and Motivation Letter (CM, 10%). Candidates who score less than 50 points in the AC average will be considered excluded on absolute merit. The top five candidates approved on absolute merit will be qualified for the individual interview. The Final Grade (CF) is obtained by the weighted average of AC (80%) and EI (20%).
The Selection Jury is composed of the following members:
President of the Jury: José Orlando Pereira
Full member: Fábio André Coelho
Full member: João Tiago Paulo
Substitute member: Ricardo Pereira Vilaça
Release of results and prior hearing: the results of the selection process, as well as the terms and procedures or prior hearing, will be released to the applicants by email, under the terms referred to in Article 13 of the Regulations for Studentships and Fellowships of INESC TEC.
6. FORMALISATION OF APPLICATIONS:
1. Motivation letter;
2. Curriculum Vitae (must include the list of previous fellowships, their type, beginning and end dates, funding entities and host institutions);
3. Certificate or diploma degree dully recognised in Portugal;
- Documents proving the awarding of academic degrees and diplomas, or the according recognition - in cases of academic degrees or diplomas granted by a foreign higher education institution - can be dismissed in the application process, and replaced by the applicant's declaration of honour, with the verification of said condition taking place during the grant's hiring stage. The submission of the certificate is mandatory when signing the contract.
- Academic degrees or diplomas awarded by a foreign higher education institution require an authentication by a Portuguese higher education institution, and the corresponding registration on the DGES platform, in conformity with Decree-Law no. 66/2018, of August 16, and Ordinance no. 33/2019, of January 25. More information available on the website https://www.dges.gov.pt/pt/pagina/reconhecimento?plid=374
4. Proof of enrollment in a degree awarding study cycle or in a non degree awarding Higher Education program.
-The proof of enrollment may be presented just during the grant hiring stage.
5. Signed declaration stating the infringement of the grant holder's duties (article 14, no. 4)
6. Documental evidence to support the country of residence, residence permit or other legally equivalent document, in cases where the applicant is a foreigner or non-resident in Portugal - valid until the beginning of the grant.
7. Other supporting documents relevant to the final assessment.
Failure to deliver the required documents within the 90-day period after the date of the notice of the conditional awarding of the grant implies its cancellation.
Application period: From 2021-03-03 to 2021-03-16
Submission of applications: the application will be formalised by submitting the form available in the Work With Us section of INESC TEC website.
7. BINDING LEGISLATION AND REGULATION
The hiring process shall comply with the current legislation regarding the Research Grant Holder Statute, approved by Law no. 40/2004 of August 18, in its current wording, as well as by the Regulations for Grants of INESC TEC and for FCT Grants Regulation in force.
For more information, please check the Regulations for Grants of INESC TEC and relevant annexes at www.inesctec.pt/bolsas
REQUIRED LANGUAGESPORTUGUESE: Excellent
- solid knowledge of distributed systems;
- current partial average of 15 or higher (Portuguese scale from 0 to 20);
- proficient in Portuguese (written and spoken).
- Knowledge of database technologies; - Proficient in English (written and spoken)
EURAXESS offer ID: 606348
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.