RESEARCH FIELDComputer science › Modelling toolsEngineering › Electrical engineeringEngineering › Knowledge engineering
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/05/2021 17:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONGreece › Peania
TYPE OF CONTRACTTo be defined
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/09/2021
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER955422
Intracom SA Telecom Solutions is seeking to hire an Early-Stage Researcher (ESR) for a 36 Person Months contract in the context of the Marie Skłodowska Curie Action - Innovative Training Network (MSCA-ITN) project “GECKO” (Grant agreement ID: 955422), with parallel enrollment into a Ph.D. program at the National Technical University of Athens (NTUA), Greece.
The GECKO project (https://gecko-project.eu/) scope is built around interpretable and explainable Artificial Intelligence (AI) and explores alternative methods to build machine learning (ML) models, drawing on the latest developments in information and social sciences. An inter-disciplinary approach will be adopted to tackle exemplary applications where ML and social science must be considered together, such as sustainable energy and energy efficiency.
The objective of this PhD fellowship is to investigate different, machine learning-guided methodologies for a flexible energy approach towards distributed energy-related assets integration in flexibility markets. The ultimate objective will be to integrate the best approaches into an IT solution that i) aggregates and analyzes data from smart home-related Internet of Things (IoT) platforms and smart devices, therefore establishing a comprehensive basis for precise energy disaggregation, ii) considers the outcome of this analysis along with the household habits and comfort levels towards forecasting the energy demand and flexibility, iii) calculates the available capacity of local storage and the forecasted generation of small-scale (residential) renewable sources, and iv) combines the above outcomes towards determining optimal consumption patterns when sourcing a household’s energy flexibility in flexibility aggregation and management schemes and novel energy markets.
The expected results include:
- A set of novel ML-based forecasting methodologies for households’ energy consumption, generation and flexibility. The novelty of the methods has to be documented by at least two publications in international journals with impact factor with the PhD candidate as a main author.
- A software platform that manages the pre-processing, analysis and presentation of data from existing IoT platforms, smart devices and smart meters, and applies the methodologies of (1) towards the formulation of an optimal strategy for sourcing a household’s energy flexibility in flexibility aggregation and management schemes and novel energy markets.
Being part of the GECKO ITN the ESR will have the opportunity to work within a multidisciplinary team, enhance his/her knowledge on machine learning techniques and help addressing urgent energy related needs. Exciting benefits are also part of the program, such as:
- doing secondments in other organizations participating in “GECKO”
- multiple training and career development opportunities, such as training events, networking events and conferences
- being part of a vast PhD network of 15 researchers across 9 European academic and industrial institutions
- very competitive salary
For this particular position there are some further special requirements concerning eligibility. In particular, at the first date of contractual employment (appointment), the applicant must:
- Be — at the date of recruitment — an ‘early stage researcher’. This means having less than four years -i.e. 48 person months- of total research experience (i.e. involvement in research activities) since the end date of her BA-BSc.
- Not have a Doctoral degree, but have a Master’s degree if their Bachelor was 4-years.
- Not have resided or carried out her/his main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Greece for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the recruitment date. Compulsory national service, short stays such as holidays, and time spent as part of a procedure for obtaining refugee status under the Geneva Convention are not taken into account.
The qualifications of the applicant will be assessed by Intracom Telecom and also by an assessment committee from the National Technical University of Athens (NTUA) for the part related to the enrollment into its Ph.D. program. For the latter, the applicants have to fulfill all the eligibility criteria to be selected as PhD candidates at the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering of NTUA. Further details are available at https://www.ece.ntua.gr/en/doctoral/info
Web site for additional job details
The candidate is expected to have a University Diploma in Engineering (e.g., Diploma in Electrical and Computer Engineering), good knowledge of Energy Systems, and strong background in the fundamentals of machine learning and big data processing. Programming skills are also desired (e.g. in Java and/or Python), as well as machine learning frameworks. Knowledge of additional programming languages is always a plus.
The candidate must be fluent in English (both written and oral). Being conversant in Greek is also a plus.
EURAXESS offer ID: 606314
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.