RESEARCH FIELDMedical sciencesPhysics
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)Recognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE01/04/2021 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNetherlands › Utrecht
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40.0
For the Postdoc position in cancer metabolism, we are looking for an enthusiastic and collaborative team player. The position is available in the division of Cell Biology, Metabolism & Cancer in the Department of Biomolecular Health Sciences at the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine of Utrecht University. The overall aim of the research project is to identify and target cancer-specific metabolic events. Cancer cells modify their metabolism and it is unknown which metabolic pathways are critical drivers of cancer progression and uncontrolled cell divisions. The project will involve cell cycle specific fluorescent imaging, cell sorting and mass spectrometry to identify metabolic events and target them by utilizing available inhibitors, RNA interference, or CRISPR-Cas9 technology. In addition, novel dissecting methodology will be developed to discover metabolic events in areas of cancerization in biopsies.
You will work in a multidisciplinary team of Researchers with unique expertise including Dr Bart Westendorp (cell cycle), Prof Celia Berkers (metabolomics), Prof Bernd Helms (lipidomics), and Prof Alain de Bruin (cancer). The research environment you will work in is inspiring and you are surrounded by innovative research labs and will have access to state-of-the-art research facilities including mass-spectrometry, single cell analysis, imaging, flowcytometry and biobanks with patient materials, localized at the Utrecht Science Campus in the Netherlands.
In this role you are responsible for:
- the design and the realization of the research project cancer metabolism;
- contribution to research projects of our team;
- writing high quality research publications;
- writing and contributing to research proposals for receiving external research funding;
- supervising research projects of Master's and Bachelor's students;
- the opportunity to participate in the teaching programme for veterinary Bachelor's students.
We offer a challenging position in a dynamic and professional environment with plenty of room for initiative and entrepreneurship. This position offers a lot of opportunities to develop yourself and your talents. Personal development meetings and continuous feedback are routinely implemented, and following trainings from the UU Development programme is one of the possibilities. We offer a temporary position (0.8 FTE) for a period of one year with the prospect of an extension for a period of another two years. The gross salary - depending on previous qualifications and experience - ranges between €2,790 and €4,402 (scale 10 according to the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities) per month for a full-time employment. Salaries are supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.3% per year. In addition, Utrecht University offers excellent secondary conditions, including an attractive retirement scheme, (partly paid) parental leave and flexible employment conditions (multiple choice model). More information about working at Utrecht University can be found here.
Everyone deserves to feel at home at our university. We welcome employees with a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives. To apply, please send your curriculum vitae, including a letter of motivation via the ‘apply’ button below.
Due to the coronavirus, interviews will be conducted by video calling.
For additional information please contact: Tara Driessens (Secretary BHS), via DGK.BHS.Secretariaat@uu.nl.
Web site for additional job details
To be successful in this role you:
- have a PhD degree, preferably in the field of biochemistry or biomedical sciences;
- have proven skills in cell culture and molecular biology techniques;
- have experience in the field of metabolism;
- preferably have experience in omics data analysis;
- have high quality publications as a first or second author;
- have clear and effective communication skills and proven English skills in presenting and writing;
- are a connecting link between the various team players of the project;
- are enthusiastic to participate in external collaborations.
EURAXESS offer ID: 604797
Posting organisation offer ID: 297860
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.