ORGANISATION/COMPANYDanish Technical University
RESEARCH FIELDComputer scienceEngineering › Communication engineeringEngineering › Computer engineeringEngineering › Control engineeringEngineering › Electrical engineeringEngineering › Electronic engineering
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE11/03/2021 22:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONDenmark › Kgs. Lyngby
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37
OFFER STARTING DATE03/05/2021
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER953454
The Automation and Control Group at the Department of Electrical Engineering, Technical University of Denmark invites applicants for a 3-years PhD position in the areas of aerial robotics and machine learning.
At the Automation and Control group at DTU, you will be part of a group with broad competences in robotics and autonomous systems, and you will have access to unique facilities where you will be able to conduct your research in a highly motivated, technology-oriented environment where you will enrich your competences through collaboration with several peers and senior staff members.
This position is one out of 15 Early-Stage Researcher (ESR) positions offered within the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network (ITN) “AErial RObotic TRAINing for the next generation of European infrastructure and asset maintenance technologies” (AERO-TRAIN; www.aerotrain-etn.eu).
The AERO-TRAIN project is carried out by a consortium of 14 academic and industrial organizations from Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Spain, Italy and Switzerland. AERO-TRAIN aims to close the gap between the Infrastructure Operations & Maintenance industry and aerial robotics, with the ambition to keep our invaluable assets operational and safe. The project addresses the fundamental challenges of human-machine interface (e.g., immersive technology, augmented reality) and of precise and robust aerial manipulation for enhanced remote manipulation and inspection evaluation.
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and appointment terms
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be based on the salary conditions of Marie Skłodowska-Curie ITN projects. The period of employment is 3 years.
The expected start date for the position is May-September 2021.
To be eligible for recruitment, the following eligibility criteria must be met:
- At the time of their recruitment, candidates must be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research careers and have not been awarded a doctoral degree.
- Applicants can be of any nationality. However, applicants must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Denmark for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the appointment. Short stays, such as holidays are not taken into account.
- Applicants must have a university degree that qualifies for PhD studies at the time of recruitment.
Your complete online application must be submitted no later than 12 March 2021 (Danish time). Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online", fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- A letter motivating the application (cover letter)
- Curriculum vitae
- Grade transcripts and BSc/MSc diploma
- Excel sheet with translation of grades to the Danish grading system (see guidelines and Excel spreadsheet here)
- A project proposal for the position (max 2 pages). Proposals can include a research statement, a short plan related to the position, a plan for publications and research risk management.
- A list of Degrees and grade transcripts.
- The position for which you apply is part of a call for 15 candidates within the AERO-TRAIN project (visit www.aerotrain-etn.eu for information about all the available positions). If you have applied or are planning to apply to any of the other positions, please provide a statement containing all the positions you applied for and rank them according to your preferences.
- A list of scientific and technical publications, awards and certifications that are relevant for the vacancy.
- Up to 3 relevant publications in related scientific fields.
- Up to 3 reference letters.
Candidates will be selected based on their merits in the fields related to the expected ESR area of expertise. The board of the network will evaluate all applications, and the top-ranked candidates will be invited for interviews. Note that your data will be made available to the AERO-TRAIN partners for the purpose of conducting the assessment of all candidates.
You may apply prior to obtaining your master's degree but cannot begin before having received it.
Applications via email or postal services will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELEngineering: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
As an ESR in the AERO-TRAIN project, you will contribute to the overall research through your ESR project, where you will develop innovative bio-inspired (such as spiking deep neural networks) vision-based learning algorithms for detection and classification of anomalies and failures in physical infrastructures. The candidate will also implement novel machine learning approaches for condition monitoring with multimodal sensing technologies within the project scope. The methods will be applied in areal robots in the context of aerial inspection of infrastructures. You will work with colleagues at DTU Automation and Control group, as well as with the other ESR of the AERO-TRAIN project. Besides working on their project at DTU Automation and Control group, the successful candidate will participate in network-wide training events like summer schools and retreats. Moreover, the PhD student will conduct secondments at other network partners.
The successful candidate will receive an employment full time contract and a competitive gross salary.
The ESR applicants should have:
- An outstanding academic record, excellent skills and ideally proven experience in the fields of Computer Science, Electrical/Electronic engineering, Robotics, Automation engineering and or similar. Experience in the field of robot programming, computer vision, mathematical modelling or artificial intelligence is beneficial.
- Excellent methodological skills and an analytical mind-set, ability to work both independently and as a member of a research team.
- Outstanding communication skills in English, both oral and written.
- High motivation, ambition and enthusiasm about research in physical manipulation with aerial robots.
- Excited to work and collaborate with a diverse team of robotics researchers and engineers.
EURAXESS offer ID: 604085
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.