ORGANISATION/COMPANYInstitute of Physical Chemistry, Polish Academy of Sciences
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE07/03/2021 12:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONPoland › Warsaw
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/04/2021
REFERENCE NUMBERRekrutacja nr 02/2021
About the Dioscuri Centre
The Centre’s main objective is to better understand bacterial growth and evolution in the natural environment of pathogenic bacteria: the interior of an animal cell and animal secretions. The members of the Centre use experimental in vitro models of infections, computer simulations and mathematical theory to create data driven, quantitative models of bacterial growth and evolution in these environments. Research performed in the Centre will contribute towards the understanding of bacterial infections and the evolution of antimicrobial resistance (AMR) in animal and human hosts.
While the focus of the Centre is on fundamental research in simple in vitro models, the long-term goal is the creation of quantitative, predictive models of in vivo bacterial infections that could help to develop new antimicrobial therapies. To facilitate translation from the bench to the bedside, the Centre will develop collaborative projects with biological and biomedical researchers and with industrial partners. The Centre will closely collaborate with MPI for Evolutionary Biology in Plön and other research institutions in Germany, the UK and the US.
The Centre is co-funded by the Polish Ministry of Science and Higher Education and the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research, with additional support coming from NAWA.
The Centre is based at the Institute for Physical Chemistry (IPC, Polish: IChF), Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw, Poland.
We seek an excellent candidate with background in microfluidics and/or optics to contribute to the development of experimental in vitro models of bacterial infections. The candidate will have the opportunity to contribute to the following projects:
1) Microfluidics-based device for co-culturing bacteria and animal epithelial cells
2) Novel optical methods for accurate, real-time, in situ measurement of bacterial growth in opaque fluids, and inside animal cells
3) Microfluidics for detection and phenotypic profiling of antibiotic-resistant mutants
In addition, candidates will be encouraged to pursue their own research interests as long as they broadly align with the Centre’s research focus.
Gross salary 11000 - 14000 PLN/month (net salary: 9000-11000 PLN, approximately 2000-2400 EUR), depending on experience (no. of years post PhD); private healthcare
A complete application should include the following items:
• motivation letter
• professional curriculum vitae
• list of publications
• personal data processing consent
• in addition, two letters of reference should be arranged to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
All documents (including the reference letters) should be emailed to email@example.com quoting “Rekrutacja nr 02/2021” in the subject line.
Short-listed candidates will be invited for an in-person interview or a conference call (Zoom or Skype).
Under reference number: Rekrutacja nr 02/2021
• PhD in physics, chemistry, or engineering
• Hands-on experience with optical systems and/or microfluidics
• Very good academic achievements as evidenced by peer-reviewed publications and talks/poster presentations at international conferences.
• Ability to draft (in English) scientific papers for academic journals.
• Ability to communicate (in English) complex information clearly, orally and in writing.
• Enthusiasm for learning basic microbiology techniques
• Ability to think creatively, propose and develop new ideas.
• Capability of working without close supervision, exercising a high degree of initiative and demonstrating a pro-active approach to work.
• Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships.
• Research experience in biological physics, bioengineering, soft matter, physical chemistry, microbiology, or another related topic.
• Experience in one or more of the following areas: optical imaging (microscopy: imaging biological samples, image processing, building DIY microscopes); bioreactors (chemostats, turbidostats); continuous-flow microfluidics; bacterial and/or cell tissue cultures; in vitro models of bacterial infections.
• Experience in cross-disciplinary and / or collaborative research projects.
• Ability to communicate with researchers or other project partners from other scientific backgrounds.
• Ability to adapt to new ideas and willingness to approach new challenges and adjust plans to suit new priorities.
• Ability to work hard and organise work so as to perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Ability to maintain a clean and well-organised laboratory environment and to set up and maintain a well-organised digital repository of experimental data and protocols.
• Potential for career advancement as an independent researcher.
Open, Transparent, Merit based Recruitment procedures of Researchers (OTM-R)
Know more about it at Institute of Physical Chemistry, Polish Academy of Sciences
Know more about OTM-R
EURAXESS offer ID: 601643
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.