ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Edinburgh
RESEARCH FIELDChemistry › OtherEngineering › Chemical engineeringEngineering › Civil engineeringEngineering › Industrial engineeringEngineering › Materials engineeringEngineering › Mechanical engineeringEngineering › Process engineeringEngineering › Simulation engineeringTechnology › Production technology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE17/05/2021 17:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONMultiple locations, see work locations below.
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK35-40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/09/2021
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER955661
The European Training Network TUSAIL (Training in Upscaling particle Systems: Advancing Industry across Length-scales) invites applications for 15 early-stage researcher (ESR) PhD positions. The duration of the appointment is 36 months, full-time employment contract.
TUSAIL is a Marie Skłodowska-Curie Initial Training Network funded by Horizon 2020, which comprises 16 academic and industrial partners in total, led by the University of Edinburgh. Over the course of four years, from the beginning of the project in March 2021, TUSAIL will train 15 early-career researchers to meet industry’s requirements for highly skilled staff in the multi-disciplinary field of upscaling industrial particle processes. The reliable, validated simulation methodologies and tools developed in TUSAIL will be disseminated to industry, enabling quantitative predictions of large industrial processes which will be of value for design, operation, and optimisation.
We are now recruiting researchers for the following 15 specific PhD projects which will begin around September 2021. If you are interested in doing a PhD with us, we invite you to take a look at the project descriptions and application procedure.
Please note that the following positions that are marked as "CLOSED" are currently not accepting applications, as the first round of applications is being evaluated. They may however reopen if no suitable candidate is identified.
List of PhD / ESR positions:
ESR 1: DEM–CFD and PBM for dynamic process simulation of fluidized bed agglomeration – Hamburg University of Technology (Germany) and Process Systems Enterprise (UK). [CLOSED]
ESR 2: Multiscale models for reconstitution of compacted powders – Hamburg University of Technology (Germany) and Société des Produits Nestlé S.A. (Switzerland) [CLOSED]
ESR 3: CFD–DEM and PBM simulation of fluidized bed opposed jet mills for particle micronization – Technical University of Braunschweig (Germany) and DCS Computing (Austria) [CLOSED]
ESR 4: Mechanistic and predictive population balance models for particle comminution size reduction mills – Technical University of Braunschweig (Germany) and Société des Produits Nestlé S.A. (Switzerland) [CLOSED]
ESR 5: Multi-scale modelling of particle agglomeration through sintering – University of Edinburgh (UK) and Johnson Matthey (UK) [CLOSED]
ESR 6: Meso-scale particles for quantitative prediction of powder transfer by pneumatic conveying – University of Edinburgh (UK) and Procter & Gamble Technical Centres Ltd (UK) [CLOSED]
ESR 7: Meso-scale description of wet powders for industrial-scale modelling – University of Twente (Netherlands)
ESR 8: DEM and CFD–DEM meso-particle modelling of mixing processes –University of Twente (Netherlands) and DCS Computing (Austria)
ESR 9: Meso-scale DEM for flowability assessment of weakly consolidated fine powders in industry – University of Salerno (Italy) and University of Edinburgh (UK)
ESR 10: DEM (meso-)particle property calibration with powder rheometry and other flow characterization techniques – University of Salerno (Italy) and University of Twente (Netherlands)
ESR 11: Mixed discrete–continuum modelling of dense granular flow – University of Edinburgh (UK) [CLOSED]
ESR 12: Continuum–DEM modelling of fluid–solid transition in weakly compacted systems of polydisperse particles of varying shapes – University of Twente (Netherlands) and Procter & Gamble Technical Centres Ltd (UK)
ESR 13: Fundamental development of structure- and rotation-related coarse graining for micro-polar continuum theories – University of Twente (Netherlands) and University of Edinburgh (UK)
ESR 14: Discrete particle zoom in continuum Two Fluid Model (TFM) simulations of spout fluidized beds – Johannes Kepler University Linz (Austria) [CLOSED]
ESR 15: Time-extrapolation of continuum Two Fluid Model (TFM) simulations of spout fluidized beds – Johannes Kepler University Linz (Austria) and Hamburg University of Technology (Germany) [CLOSED]
All TUSAIL ESRs will benefit from:
- Extensive training in basic and advanced research skills, as well as in transferrable skills.
- Participation in network events, workshops and conferences.
- A prestigious three-year MSCA Fellowship.
- A competitive salary including mobility and family allowances.
All ESR positions will involve secondments and/or employment across different TUSAIL participants.
All candidates must meet the PhD enrolment requirements for their host University. Additionally you must meet the following ESR and mobility criteria (see https://ec.europa.eu/research/mariecurieactions/resources/document-libraries/information-note-fellows-innovative-training-networks-itn_en for more details):
- To be eligible for recruitment, you must, at the date of recruitment, be within the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of your research career and not have a doctoral degree. Full-time equivalent research experience is measured from the date when you obtained the degree entitling you to embark on a doctorate (either in the country in which the degree was obtained, or in the country in which you are recruited), even if a doctorate was never started or envisaged. You may be required to provide documentation proving your eligibility for recruitment.
- You are required to undertake transnational mobility in order to be eligible for recruitment. As such, you must not have resided or carried out your main activity (e.g., work, studies) in the country where you have been recruited for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the recruitment date, not counting holidays. Your employer is required to verify this fact; therefore you may be required to provide supporting documentation proving your place(s) of residence or work during the previous 3 years. This mobility rule applies only to your first recruitment within the project, and not to other organisations to which you might be sent on secondment or at which you may subsequently also be recruited. Finally, the mobility rule is related to your residence or main activity and not to your nationality.
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELEngineering: Bachelor Degree or equivalent
When applying for a specific ESR project you will be provided with detailed requirements for that position. In general, we would expect that you have an undergraduate degree in Chemical, Civil or Mechanical Engineering, Physics or a related discipline.
You should apply to no more than three ESR projects.
EURAXESS offer ID: 601633
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.