ORGANISATION/COMPANYMultilingual Mind (MultiMind) Innovative Training Network (ITN)
RESEARCH FIELDLanguage sciences › LinguisticsPsychological sciences › Psychology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE26/02/2021 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONItaly › Milan
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/04/2021
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER765556
We are recruiting 1 ESR to work for MultiMind ITN (https://www.multilingualmind.eu/) for 12 months starting April 1, 2021 to work on “Bilingualism, biliteracy and dyslexia: advantages or disadvantages” at the University Milano-Bicocca, Italy.
Main supervisor: M. T. Guasti; ESR10 Committee: M. L. Lorusso, T. Rinker
Background: L2 children obtain lower reading scores at 8 years if they have been exposed to their L2 after age 3 and perform similarly to monolingual children with Developmental Dyslexia (DD). Since early intervention is important, it is necessary to find markers that distinguish delay due to late exposure from delay due to dyslexia. Children with DD are often advised not to use their L1 or to become literate only in their L2. However, no scientific evidence supports this advice.
The person recruited will work on projects aiming at examining predicting abilities, language and reading skills in bilingual children with dyslexia.
For further information contact Prof Maria Teresa Guasti: firstname.lastname@example.org
The successful candidates will receive a 12-month, full-time employment contract as per Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA) regulations for early stage researchers. The monthly salary will be confirmed upon offer, paid in the currency of the host country, and with a correction factor applied to the host country.
Country correction coefficient: Italy: 106.7%
The approximate monthly salary before employer and statutory deductions is €3318 in Italy plus an additional mobility allowance of €600/month. Researchers may also qualify for a family allowance of €500/month depending on family situation at the time of recruitment. Please visit the EU MSCA website for further information.
- Early-Stage Researchers (ESRs): The researcher recruited in MultiMind must be an ESR and undertake transnational mobility (see below). The eligibility of the researcher will be determined at the time s/he starts working at the project (April 2021).
Note: ESRs are defined as researchers who at the time when they start working for MultiMind are in the first 4 years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research careers and have not been awarded a doctoral degree. However, they can be about to finish a doctoral degree.
- Nationality: The ESR can be of any nationality.
- Transnational mobility: The ESR is required to undertake transnational mobility (i.e. move from one country to another) when taking up her/his appointment. Nationality is therefore not a criterion. Rather the location of the researcher’s residence or main activity during the 3 years prior to their recruitment is determining. The researcher must not have resided or carried out her/his main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of the host organisation for MultiMind for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the start date (April 2021). Short stays, e.g. holidays, are not taken into account.
Note: the mobility rule applies to the (first) beneficiary where the researcher is recruited, and not to beneficiaries to which the researcher is sent or seconded. It is also only determined at one point in time: at the time when s/he starts working for MultiMind (1st April 2021).
- Danish nationals can be eligible for recruitment at a beneficiary located in Denmark if they have resided or carried out their main activity outside of Denmark for more than 24 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the starting date (April 2021).
- Indian nationals can be eligible for recruitment at a beneficiary located in the UK if they have resided or carried out their main activity outside of the UK for more than 24 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the starting date (April 2021).
Refugees: Researchers with refugee status, as defined by the Geneva Convention, benefit from a less restrictive mobility rule: the refugee procedure (i.e. before refugee status is conferred) will not be counted as a “period of residence/activity” in the country of the beneficiary. This period will only be counted as of the day that they are recognised as refugees. This is because refugees, by definition, are likely to have made unplanned changes of country, moving abroad rapidly without being able to arrange a research position in advance. They may have had to suspend their education or professional activities while obtaining permission to stay in the country. Therefore, their mobility is not required to be as recent.
How to apply for an Early Stage Researcher position:
- Read the project description carefully, the eligibility criteria and the selection criteria for the position.
- Download the 'Central Application Form' here and fill it in.
- Send the completed Central Application Form together with the following documents to the e-mail address email@example.com.
Documents to be submitted:
- Central Application Form – see above;
- Motivation letter (max. 1 page);
- Curriculum vitae (max. 3 pages);
- Scanned copy of University degree/diploma (MA /MSc diploma including final grade);
- Contact details of two referees;
- Publication or other form of scholarly writing (e.g., excerpt from MA-thesis or term paper).
The closing date for the positions will be February 20, 2021, but applications will continue to be considered until a suitable candidate has been appointed.
After February 20, 2021 applications will be reviewed and shortlisted candidates will be informed via mail of the date of the interview, which will take place via a web platform.
Web site for additional job details
Required Research Experiences
RESEARCH FIELDLanguage sciences › Linguistics
YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCE1 - 4
RESEARCH FIELDPsychological sciences › Psychology
YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCE1 - 4
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELLanguage sciences: Master Degree or equivalentPsychological sciences: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: ExcellentITALIAN: Good
- A Master of Arts (MA) or a Master of Science (MSc) or equivalent degree in Linguistics, Psychology (with an interest in language), Speech & Language Therapy or similar discipline that provides the candidate with appropriate background for the MultiMind project.
- A high mark in the Master programme.
- A high mark on the Master Thesis.
- Research experience beyond the Undergraduate and Master programmes.
- Publications from the Undergraduate or Master Thesis (if any), or from other scientific activities.
- Research methods related to MultiMind (e.g., eye tracking).
- Skills in statistical analysis with use of R-package as well as skills in analysing eye tracking data are an asset.
EURAXESS offer ID: 599639
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.