RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Computer engineeringEngineering › Electrical engineering
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE28/02/2021 18:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONGreece › MAROUSI
TYPE OF CONTRACTTo be defined
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/04/2021
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER955422
Plegma Labs (https://plegmalabs.com) is seeking to hire a motivated Early-Stage Researcher (ESR) for a three-year full-time paid contract for the GECKO MSCA-ITN project under the HORIZON 2020 call (Grant agreement ID: 955422), which will lead to the award of a Ph.D. degree from the National Technical University of Athens (https://www.ntua.gr/en). This Ph.D. offers a unique opportunity to tackle energy-related issues and uncover consumption patterns. The ESR will work within a major new EU-wide Ph.D. training network. This interdisciplinary ‘GECKO’ network connects leading social, computer and data scientists working on smart technology, artificial intelligence, human-computer interaction, energy, climate change, and responsible innovation.
The GECKO project (https://gecko-project.eu/) will target interpretable and explainable Artificial Intelligence (AI) and explore alternative methods to build machine learning (ML) models drawing on the latest developments in information and social sciences. An inter-disciplinary methodology will be adopted to tackle the most prominent application example driver, where ML and social science must be considered together: addressing urgent sustainability and energy efficiency needs, where a successful responsible AI technology must embed social science understanding of people’s actions and how they interact with technology. GECKO will train the next generation of research leaders in this exciting and emerging field at the intersection between smart technologies, energy, big data, algorithm design, and user behavior.
The objectives of the candidate's research will be to investigate different probabilistic and data visualization methods to eliminate undesirable behavior of ML models, specifically targeting connected home technology (CHT) and energy efficiency at home:
- using cloud computing and big data technologies process and analyze data from a large number of households to understand patterns of behavior;
- identify undesirable outcomes related to CHT research in living labs;
- develop probabilistic models for avoiding any instances of undesirable behavior (e.g., bias) in AI regression and classification tasks;
- apply the developed methods in home energy demand settings;
- Iteratively refine the methods via living lab and virtual lab testing.
The expected results are:
(1) a dataset of clustered patterns of behavior in home related to energy efficiency;
(2) a methodology for identifying biased outcomes that affect CHT and a list of identified biases in the living labs including their generalization;
(3) new bias-free probabilistic ML models;
(4) implemented and optimized code (as a scalable software platform) embedded into CHT including data management and privacy issues
(5) living and virtual lab result analysis;
(6) business case study
The candidate will work mostly from the premisses of Plegma Labs in Athens, and will also work at the National Technical University of Athens as well as a two-month secondment at the University of Siegen in Germany. The 36-month program will allow the ESR to work within a multidisciplinary team, enhance his/her knowledge on machine learning and coding techniques, and help in addressing urgent environmental issues. Exciting benefits are also part of the program, such as:
• doing academic secondments (in Greece and Germany)
• multiple training and career development opportunities, such as training events, networking events and conferences
• being part of a vast Ph.D. network of 15 researchers across 9 European academic and industrial institutions
• very competitive salary of up to 3750€ monthly (incl. base salary, mobility allowance, family allowance)
The applicant must:
1) Hold a BSc and MSc (or equivalent from a 5-year polytechnic) in Electrical and/or Computer Engineering.
2) Be in the first 4 years from the date when the applicant obtained the first degree entitling them to embark on a doctorate. This means that there should not be more than 4 years from the award of their first MSc degree.
3) Be willing to enroll in a Ph.D. program at the National Technical University of Athens (https://www.ntua.gr/en).
The ideal candidate should:
1) Possess programming experience ideally in Python, as well as deep learning frameworks (ex. Tensorflow / Pytorch). Knowledge of additional programming languages is always a plus.
2) Have a strong background in the fundamentals of machine learning and big data processing.
3) Be fluent in English (both written and oral). Being conversant in German and/or Greek is also a plus due to the planned secondments.
EURAXESS offer ID: 594060
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.