ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversité Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
RESEARCH FIELDPhysics › Biophysics
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/05/2021 00:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONBelgium › Brussels
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK38
OFFER STARTING DATE01/07/2021
A two-year postdoctoral position in theory and simulation of biomaterials is available starting from July the 1st (or earlier) at the Physics of Complex Systems and Statistical Mechanics Laboratory, Université Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels (http://complex.ulb.ac.be) working in collaboration with Dr. B. M. Mognetti.
Job Summary: In the blood stage of the lifecycle of the malaria parasite, the merozoite (an egg-shaped colloid) reproduces asexually through subsequent infections of the human erythrocyte (red cell). In the early stages of the erythrocyte invasion, the parasite loosely binds the erythrocyte and reorients itself until placing its symmetry axis orthogonal to the red cell surface. The reorientation motion is orchestrated by ligand/receptor complexes forming reversible, interparticle linkages. Conditional on successful alignment, the parasite pulls itself inside the erythrocyte through molecular motors.
In collaboration with experimentalists, we will validate a mechanistic model to assess the crucial parameters affecting the reorientation dynamics, particularly the mechanical properties of the cell membrane and biochemical details of the membrane proteins mediating the interaction. Models and simulation methods will be validated using synthetic biology systems.
- EU Citizens and citizens from countries that have a bilateral social security agreement with Belgium: social security coverage including medical insurance, unemployment benefit, retirement pension, maternity leave and child benefit.
- Non-EU Citizens from countries that have no bilateral social security agreement with Belgium: social security coverage including medical insurance, maternity leave and child benefit.
- Insurance against accidents in the workplace.
- Tax exemption.
- Low-cost private hospitalization insurance.
- On-site services at the ULB: medical centre, university hospital, sports centre, subsidized restaurants, cultural centre, crèche, activities for children…
Deadline: 31/05/2021 or as first as a successful candidate has been selected.
The ideal candidate will have solid knowledge in soft and biological matter (in particular, colloids and lipid bilayers) and experience in coarse-grained numerical simulations. She/he will also be fluent in spoken and written English.
We are looking for a researcher in ‘international mobility' with max 6 years (without counting maternity/paternity leave) after date of Ph.D. degree. She/he must not have lived in Belgium for more than 24 months in the last 3 years.
EURAXESS offer ID: 593475
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.