RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › Biology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE26/02/2021 23:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONPortugal › Caparica
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/04/2021
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER956544
The PhD position is at the Company STAB VIDA, and within the framework of the Maria Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network (MSCA-ITN) project “Directing the immune response through designed nanomaterials (DIRNANO)”.
The PhD student will focus on:
- New highly specific monoclonal antibody for detection and quantification of biomolecular corona. In vitro assay for quantification of biomolecular corona.
- Selection and design of novel biomarkers for biomolecular corona detection and quantification.
- Development of new monoclonal antibodies following hybridoma technology, namely: Immunization of Babl-C mice. Fusion of mice spleen with myeloma cells. Selection and cloning of hybridoma expressing specific monoclonal antibodies directed to the selected biomarkers’ epitopes of biomolecular corona. Clone expansion, monoclonal antibody purification and quality control procedures. Immunization procedures and immune response in mice will be analysed. Evaluation of new monoclonal antibodies in vitro using to establish the potential as in vitro human biomarker detection tool. Development of in vitro assay for quantification of biomolecular corona based on the newly developed Mab Western blot, ELISA and immunoprecipitation techniques.
The PhD student will be enrolled in the doctoral program at the New University of Lisbon, Portugal.
DIRNANO provides a highly integrated and interdisciplinary training of next-generation Early Stage Researchers (ESRs) at the interface of nanopharmaceutical bioengineering and its translation on preclinical and human immunology.
DIRNANO will develop biocompatible nanopharmaceuticals with either “super”-stealth or immune-specific behavior for cancer immunotherapy and vaccination by mapping nanoparticle-immune interactions through two core approaches: 1) inception of novel surface engineering approaches, based on new organic polymers, zwitterionic lipids, and conjugation chemistry strategies, 2) engineering of host or microbial-derived modulators of innate immunity (e.g. complement system).
DIRNANO team comprises internationally renowned scientists and industrialists at the forefront of nanoengineering, pharmaceutical sciences, molecular biosciences, commerce and business, thereby generating a unique pan-European macro-environment for interdisciplinary training of ESRs at the highest international level. Through participation of industrial partners, we will furnish ESRs with in-demand industrial and business skills, including process manufacturing, reproducibility and regulatory challenges, intellectual property and commercialization strategies.
DIRNANO will lead to rational engineering of broader libraries of NPs with tunable immune-modulating functions. The combinatorial analysis of new nanomaterial core-coat scaffolds will improve temporal and spatial understanding of biomaterial-innate immune interactions at the molecular level, thereby filling the void in overcoming adverse reactions to nanopharmaceuticals injection. DIRNANO will drive future development of small molecules and biologics-based nanopharmaceuticals through a “low-risk-high gain” perspective and within the context of personalized therapies and precision medicine. As such, DIRNANO will extensively contribute to European science, education and socioeconomics value, skill retention and brain-gain.
The salary for PhD students is based on the MSCA ITN Grant Agreement. The salary includes living allowances, mobility allowance and family allowance if eligible under the MSCA ITN rules.
Other benefits will be equal to all employees of STAB VIDA, LDA.
At the date of recruitment, the applicants for the MSCA fellowship must have no PhD and less than 4 years of full-time equivalent research experience from the award of the degree that entitles them to undertake a doctorate (either in the Country in which the degree was obtained or in the Country in which the applicant is to be recruited).
The applicants must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Portugal for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the recruitment date, short stays, such as holidays, are not taken into account.
Applications will be reviewed as received. After the deadline, short-listed applicants complying with the requirements will be invited for a telematic interview.
Applicants should provide the following information in their application in English:
1) Cover letter detailing your motivation and background for applying for the project.
2) A detailed CV including technical and analytical skills and publications, if applicable.
3) All academic level certificates (BSc and MSc) including university grades itemized by each course. A copy of the official permit to carry out animal experimentation, if available. Foreign documents should be sent as certified English translations.
4) A synopsis (abstract) of the BSc and MSc thesis, if applicable, or any previous research project.
5) At least, two professional referee letters (containing name, address, telephone, and email).
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELBiological sciences: Master Degree or equivalent
We are looking for a candidate with a MSc degree in biology, , biochemistry, pharmacy, or similar biomedical degrees.
Candidates should have the ability to work independently and in collaboration with others, and have strong oral and written communication skills in English
NOT have a doctoral degree AND be in the first 4 years of the research career (full time equivalent research experience).
EURAXESS offer ID: 593277
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.