ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Tartu
RESEARCH FIELDChemistryPhysics › BiophysicsPhysics › Computational physicsPhysics › Condensed matter propertiesTechnology › BiotechnologyTechnology › Medical technologyTechnology › Nanotechnology
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE04/02/2021 18:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONEstonia › Tartu
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020
Duties and responsibilities
Main expected contribution: Provide the competence and understanding of biomedical systems to allow the incorporation and synergy of the nanomaterials (computational and experimental) branches of MATTER into biomedical applications.
- Internationally recognised research.
- Initiation and preparation of research projects and proposals, including national (Estonian Research Council, Archimedes), Horizon 2020 and ERC.
- Participation in ERA Chair research strategy formulation.
- Participation in development of PhD study curricula.
- Supervision of PhD students and students at other academic levels.
- Assisting the ERA Chair holder in fulfilling their tasks.
- Establishing a multidisciplinary framework to bridge the gap between biomedical engineering, material science and nanomaterials related research.
See also job description.
PhD or an equivalent qualification.
Competence in the following fields is necessary:
- biomedical engineering, medical or bio-physics, targeted drug delivery and similar;
- incorporating nanomaterials in bio-environments, biocompatible materials, nano-micro medicine or comparable.
Additional competence in the following fields is desirable:
- computer simulations of nanoscale materials and surfaces, biomaterials or biological systems;
- electron microscopy, nanomanipulation, nanomaterial fabrication.
- strong publication record in international research journals;
- experience in supervising other researchers or students, including (co-)supervision of PhD students.
Required language skills
Excellent command of English required.
Starting at 01.06.2021, temporary contract to 30.06.2024.
Salary: Competitive and motivating salary based on previous experience.
See also UT salary rules.
We are looking for an associate professor of biomedical engineering who is interested in participating of H2020 ERA Chair MATTER in Institute of Technology in University of Tartu.
The ERA Chair is being established as an independent research laboratory in the University of Tartu, Institute of Technology, engaging the ERA Chair holder and his/her team members. The formation of the ERA Chair of Materials in Extreme Environments (MATTER) is combining three challenging fields of computer simulations, nano-manipulation, and biomedical engineering, towards application in two directions – biomedical applications and nanomaterials. MATTER is building on the well-equipped core facilities of the University of Tartu and establishes synergies with the most influential research infrastructure in Estonia and neighboring countries, for delivering high-level research and innovation.
The concept pursued within the ERA Chair “MATTER” is for the University of Tartu to become the leading European institution in the respective fields of science, and increase its capacities to deliver fundamental, as well as applied research on sustainable nano-fabrication, real-time nano-characterization and materials modelling, in order to induce cutting-edge technology transfer from the research environment into industry. A strong emphasis is placed on the improvement of collaboration between Estonian universities and enterprises by creating a network, increasing the number of cooperation agreements (high-tech services) and improving overall entrepreneurialism within academia.
MATTER focuses on nanoscale material behavior in complex environments and upscaling of control of nanomaterials for interdisciplinary and widespread use. MATTER enables breakthrough research in areas such as biomedical applications (nano-medicine, drug delivery, regenerative medicine), renewable energy sources, high electric field applications, high power microwave and radar equipment, materials research, ICT and electronics applications, MEMS & NEMS, etc.
The ERA Chair in Materials Research in Extreme Environments has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation program under grant agreement No 856705.
Relocation and family allowance is available.
In order to be considered for the position, the candidate must submit to the UT Human Resources Office (email: firstname.lastname@example.org; postal address: 18 Ülikooli St, Tartu 50090 ESTONIA; employees of the UT should submit their documents via intranet) following documents:
- a letter of application to the Rector,
- a curriculum vitae in the established format,
- a list of research publications (if necessary, enclosing copies or offprints of more important publications),
- a copy of a document (including its annexes) which shows the candidate to hold the required qualification (with authorized translation into Estonian, English or Russian if the credential is not in one of these languages). A candidate can be required to submit the original or a certified copy of the document (including its annexes) showing the candidate to hold the required qualification. If the candidate has acquired the higher education in question abroad, he or she may be required to submit an assessment issued by the Academic Recognition Information Centre (the Estonian ENIC/NARIC) of his or her qualification in respect of the qualification requirements for the position;
- a letter of motivation (up to 2 pages) including their initial research vision;
- other materials considered relevant by the candidate (a list of such materials must be included in the application or annexed to it).
Number of copies: 1
The best candidate(s) will be invited to University of Tartu to present a public lecture or venia legendi (all travelling costs will be covered).
Web site for additional job details
EURAXESS offer ID: 592095
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.