RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)Recognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/02/2021 23:59 - Asia/Tokyo
LOCATIONJapan › Hiroshima
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEKSee description
[Explanation of institution (recruitment background, institution details, explanation of project, etc.)]
Hiroshima University, Yamaguchi University, and Tokushima University have jointly established a consortium called “Home for Innovative Researchers and Academic Knowledge Users (HIRAKU)." The consortium focuses on human resource development and the allocation of young researchers and graduate students in cooperation with firms, universities, and institutes in the Chugoku and Shikoku regions. Supported by Funds for the Development of Human Resources in Science and Technology through Japan's Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT), the consortium aims to improve the regional potential in science, technology, and innovation. As a main part of its activities, the member organizations of the Consortium have launched a joint call for applications for tenure-track researcher's positions from promising young researchers within and outside Japan in order to promote in these regions and encourage them to become distinguished researchers. For these purposes, the ideal candidate for the position will be required to conduct active independent research in the specified research fields as a tenure-track assistant professor at each university, collaborate with diverse actors, contribute to the Consortium, and develop the research career in an uncertain world.
For this job opening, Hiroshima University invites applications by women researchers for one full-time tenure-track assistant professor position who possesses a deep understanding and capabilities in regard to Materials Engineering for Energy Conversion and Storage, Energy Storage Materials. The position requires the successful applicant to perform the roles expected by the Consortium and collaborate with diverse actors from different disciplines/sectors, industry and society. Under Article 8 of the Equal Employment Opportunity Law (Special Provisions of Measures Pertaining to Women Workers), in order to actively improve the present situation of a considerably low percentage of women researchers, applicants are limited to women researchers only.
We are particularly seeking researchers who can, strengthen international research collaborations, improve their competencies as researchers and increase their international visibility.
[Affiliation and Areas of Research]
Academy of Hiroshima University (Graduate School of Advanced Science and Engineering)
Materials Engineering for Energy Conversion and Storage, Energy Storage Materials
[Address of work location and other information]
Hiroshima University (Higashi-Hiroshima campus)
[Number of positions]
Applicants should be able to begin working at the earliest possible date from October 1, 2021 to March 31, 2022 (within the Japanese Fiscal Year 2021).
[Probationary employment period]
six (6) months (Hiroshima University Work Regulations for Employees)
-The term of appointment is Five years (Tenure-track position(s)).
-All tenure-track faculty members at Hiroshima University undergo a tenure review six (6) months prior to the completion of their term of appointment. Those who successfully pass the review process will be granted tenure along with promotion to associate professor.
Granting tenure is subject to two reviewing process: an intermediate and final review. If a candidate is not granted tenure in the final review, they will be dismissed from the University upon the completion of the term of appointment. If a candidate takes leave because of life events such as delivering a baby, child-rearing and caregiving, they may extend the term of appointment according to the length of leave.
-Details are in the application procedure.
(1) We strongly welcome applications from international researchers.
(2) Hiroshima University implements support for women researchers.
① Women researchers will receive guidance related to job environment preparation and maintenance via the Gender Equality Promotion Office and Headquarters for the Promotion of Human Resources Development of Hiroshima University.
② For women researchers, at least one of their mentors will be female.
③ On- and off-campus nurseries are available. The support staff of the University will assist in finding a nursery.
Hiroshima University administers gender equality. Details can be found on the
website of the Gender Equality Promotion Office.
(3) All the faculty members of Hiroshima University belong to the "Academy", which is the single university-wide faculty organization, and each faculty as a member of the Academy of the University is appointed to educational and/or research organizations such as an individual undergraduate school, graduate school, research center and institute. The faculty member will be engaged in the education and research in the appointed department, but may also be assigned to undertake education of common subjects and/or education and research within other departments or university-wide projects/activities.
(4) For each specialized field of faculty, Hiroshima University has defined Minimum
standards for hiring new faculty (“the minimum standards"). We use the minimum standards for the initial screening process of the applicants, and only those who have cleared the minimum standards will qualify as the candidates for the post concerned. The minimum standards used for this international job offer can be viewed by clicking the following URL link.
(5) Hiroshima University promotes a gender-equal society in accordance with the legislative intent of the Basic Law for a Gender-Equal Society. When candidates of both genders show equal capabilities in terms of the evaluation of their performances (which includes research achievements, educational achievements, social contributions, etc.) and their personalities, preference will be given to women researchers.
(6) HU provides various employment opportunities (research jobs, office jobs, etc.).
If your spouse wishes to work for HU, please refer to the following URL link.
Employment information: https://www.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/en/employment/
(7) Hiroshima University will filter applicants based on the documents submitted to the above Secretariat. Applicants may be requested to submit additional documents if necessary.
EURAXESS offer ID: 590706
Posting organisation offer ID: D120121193
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.