ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Luxembourg
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE26/02/2021 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONLuxembourg › Luxembourg
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
The Faculty of Humanities, Education and Social Sciences (FHSE) brings together expertise from the humanities, linguistics, cognitive sciences, social and educational sciences. People from across 20 disciplines are working within the Faculty. Along with the disciplinary approach a very ambitious interdisciplinary research culture has been developed.
The faculty’s research and teaching focuses on social, economic, political and educational issues with the common goal of contributing to an inclusive, open and resourceful society. The FHSE offers four Bachelor and 15 Master degrees and a doctoral school providing students with the necessary knowledge and high-qualified skills to succeed in their future career.
The University of Luxembourg invites applications to the following vacancy in its Department of Geography and Spatial Planning and its Master in Architecture" :
Postdoc in the field of Urban Transformation
In the context of Prof. Dr. Markus Miessen’s new post as Professor of Urban Transformation / Chair of the City of Esch, the University of Luxembourg is searching for a postdoctoral candidate, collaborating on and supporting the new research post and its activities in the field of Urban Transformation.
As part of the new professor’s crossbenching approach to urban transformation, the Chair of the City of Esch will establish a think tank as an embedded laboratory in the city. As researchers, we will detect and investigate urban conflicts, imagine post-growth-scenarios, develop models for alternative community-building approaches and contribute productively to directly intervention in the existing urban fabric of the crossborder region of Southern Luxembourg.
This postdoc position is addressing those practitioners, who have an architecture and/ or urban planning background and who are confident at dealing with research architecture in regard to the socio-political, participatory and cross-border dimensions of territorial prospective planning. Candidates have experience both in relevant research projects as well as teaching at MA-level.
As a group of researchers, we will identify and consequently deal with urban conflicts, post-growth scenarios, migration, community-building and the associated transformation of spatial inventory in the sense of a low-threshold and agonistic urbanism. As part of a newly founded think tank and research hub, we will work towards building up a low-threshold trigger platform that experimentally deals with proactive possibilities for the participation of various local, regional and transnational actors and processes in the infrastructural matrix of Luxembourg. A central research task will be our productive positioning vis-a-vis Ursula von der Leyen's “new cultural project for Europe” - which was propagated in her speech on the state of the EU (“A new European Bauhaus”).
As a postdoctoral candidate, you will support the Chair in his role to moderate and curate those socio-political relationships and help mapping its complexities. The successful candidate will be based in the Department of Geography and Spatial Planning and working within the Master in Architecture under the supervision of Prof. Dr. Markus Miessen.
The University of Luxembourg is searching for highly motivated candidates, who have an eager interest in developing alternative methods of participating in the production of (everyday) urban space both at the level of policy and design. As a potential candidate, you are excited to investigate and develop cases of heterogeneous, socio-political planning approaches in and for crossborder geographies. You will perform research on moderating and curating change by investigating and developing crossbenching models for low threshold forms of urban transformation. The link between public policy makers and spatial design will be a leading concept for the research. We will collaborate both with IBA and in the frame of Esch Cultural Capital 2022, where a first exhibit of the research will be presented. The output consists of thorough analysis (both architecturally and policy-oriented), the build-up of a typological Atlas (historical and prospective) and real-time, embedded research by design on concrete local cases.
Areas of responsibility for teaching and research
- Research on the above-mentioned fields of investigation;
- Head of a design studio and a theory seminar in the master's degree in architecture and supervision of diploma theses;
- Teaching of territorial/ urban design as well as of theory of urbanism;
- Preparation of academic publications in connection with the research area;
- Assistance in the organization of the work of the Chair;
- Assistance in the publications of the Chair and its web page;
- Assistance in the organisation of seminars, conferences, and other research-related events;
- Tutoring students and PhD candidates;
- Participation in grading examinations;
- Takeover of administrative tasks.
- Master in architecture and PhD degree in architecture or urbanism, or in history or theory of architecture or urbanism;
- Publications in the field of architecture, urbanism or territorial design;
- Experience in teaching of architectural, urban and territorial design and theory;
- Avid team worker, experienced ability in and enthusiasm regarding tutoring students and in organizing research-related events;
- Proficiency in the participation in research projects in relation to contemporary international research cultures and fundraising will be considered as an advantage.
- Social sensitivity is a key characteristic of this post;
- You are a proactive initiator;
- You have excellent communication skills.
- Excellent working knowledge in English, fluent in one of the other languages of the university (German or French);
- knowledge of Portuguese would be beneficial but is not mandatory.
- An attractive salary;
- A supportive academic community;
- A modern and well-equipped research laboratory;
- A vibrant multicultural environment;
- An ambitious and internationally operating team.
- Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract 24 Month (extendable up to 5 years)
- Work Hours: Full Time 40.0 Hours per Week
- Location: Belval
- Job Reference: UOL03793
Applications should be submitted online and include:
- Motivation letter;
- Design portfolio;
- Documentation of diplomas and degrees;
- Documentation of published work.
Please send your application online by 26/02/2021.
Please apply ONLINE formally through the HR system. Applications by email will not be considered.
The University of Luxembourg embraces inclusion and diversity as key values. We are fully committed to removing any discriminatory barrier related to gender, and not only, in recruitment and career progression of our staff.
Here’s what awaits you at the University
- Multilingual and international character. Modern institution with a personal atmosphere. Staff coming from 90 countries. Member of the “University of the Greater Region” (UniGR).
- A modern and dynamic university. High-quality equipment. WiFi on campus. Close ties to the business world and to the Luxembourg labour market. A unique urban site with excellent infrastructure.
- A partner for society and industry. Cooperation with European institutions, innovative companies, the Financial Centre and with numerous non-academic partners such as ministries, local governments, associations, NGOs …
EURAXESS offer ID: 584829
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.