RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE29/01/2021 22:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONPoland › Warsaw
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE03/12/2020
ADVERTISEMENT OF A POST
Postdoctoral Position in the research project
Position: Postdoctoral Fellow
Type of position: research
Number of positions: 1 (full time) or 2 (half time)
Discipline: philosophy, psychology
Project title: Perceptual objects in the unimodal- and multimodal settings
Project supervisor: dr Aleksandra Mroczko-Wąsowicz
Funding Organization: National Science Centre (Narodowe Centrum Nauki, NCN) in
Project type: OPUS-18
Project Duration: 2020–2024
Host Institution: University of Warsaw, Faculty of Philosophy
The recruitment procedure conforms with NCN regulations and the Statute of the University of Warsaw.
Application is possible for persons who fulfill the conditions specified in:
- the Higher education and science law of 20 July 2018 (ustawa z dnia 20 lipca 2018 r.
Prawo o szkolnictwie wyższym i nauce, Dz. U. z 2020 r., poz. 85 with further changes)
and the Statute of the University of Warsaw;
- the Regulations on awarding grants for the fulfillment of tasks financed by the National
Science Centre in the framework of research projects, for the program OPUS 18.
The candidate cannot be a person who has been employed at the University of Warsaw
on the basis of an employment contract in the course of the last two years before
the employment within the project.
- realization of the project research tasks related to analysis of: (1) the origin of perceptual objects, (2) conceptual and methodological aspects of studying perceptual objects, (3) similarities and differences between perceptual objects in different sense modalities, and (4) multimodal perceptual objects; in particular, conducting research on the tasks (1) and (2) – critically reviewing relevant philosophical literature and empirical research on the creation and maintenance of object representations in different sensory modalities in order to develop theoretical foundations of perceptual objecthood, i.e., define the concept of “object”, describe the structure and characteristics of perceptual objects in various sensory modalities, and classify the kinds of entities we perceive through individual senses;
- organizing of and regular participation in the meetings of the research group; collaborating with PI and other members of the group through paper exchanges, regular discussions, and jointly authored work;
- presenting research project results at important domestic and international conferences;
- publishing project outcomes in high-ranked international journals and publishing houses;
- organizing seminars, workshops, and research visits with invited speakers (including international researchers);
- applying for grants;
- performing the function of the project secretary;
- participation in editorial works, preparing reports and other tasks related to project administration.
- Candidates will be evaluated in compliance with the requirements of the Statute of the University of Warsaw, the European Charter for Researchers. The Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code) and the guidelines of the Rector of the University of Warsaw (No 106, 22.09.2019).
- A doctoral degree in the field of philosophy, cognitive science, or psychology, obtained not earlier than 7 years before the year of employment within this project;
- Substantial scientific output (confirmed by publications) in the field of sensory research within philosophy of perception, philosophy of mind, psychology, or cognitive neurosciences;
- Research interests relevant to the project topic (sense perception, perceptual properties and objects represented in sensory experience of various sense modalities, multisensory integration);
- Experience in international scientific cooperation;
- A very good command of spoken and written English.
Conditions of employment:
- Employment duration: 16 months
- Salary: 160.000 PLN (with the employer’s costs) for the entire period of employment
- Expected starting date: the earliest possible date after the decision in the recruitment procedure
- In the period of remuneration within the project, the post-doc must not receive other remuneration from the funds granted within the scope of direct costs in research projects financed in NCN programs.
- In the period of remuneration within the project, the post-doc must not be employed by another employer on the basis of an employment contract, including by an employer with the seat outside Poland.
The application should contain:
- Application letter addressed to Vice-Rector of the University of Warsaw, prof. dr hab. Sambor Grucza;
- Personal questionnaire for applicants (available at http://bsp.adm.uw.edu.pl/bsp/druki-i-formularze/) with a photo and an e-mail address;
- Information on the processing of personal data (the information clause as well as the consent clause) attached to the vacancy note;
- Document confirming the PhD title in philosophy, cognitive science, or psychology;
- Scientific CV, including among others information on participation in research projects, domestic and international conferences, on scholarships and scientific awards, scientific internships and research stays, membership in scientific organisations/societies, in editorial teams of scientific journals, participation in organisation of conferences, activities for the popularization of science, and other achievements;
- List of publications, divided into publications relevant to scope of research foreseen in the project and other publications, as well as grouped according to the following categories: articles in scientific journals, chapters in monographies, publications in post-conference volumes, books;
- Copies of the two most important publications from the applicant’s output;
- Two references by professors in the field of philosophy, cognitive science, or psychology (other than from the University of Warsaw), or in the case of a foreign researcher – references from a person with a substantial scientific output and an established reputation in the international scientific community;
- Employment certificates, if applicable;
- Statement of the candidate confirming that they are acquainted with and accept the rules for carrying the recruitment procedure for the position of the academic teacher (attachment 2).
All documents shall be submitted electronically in the form of pdf files sent to the following addresss: email@example.com
Applications shall be sent by 29 January 2021 r.
Attention! Incomplete applications, or applications not fulfilling formal conditions will
not be considered.
The decision will be made by 24 February 2021 r.
Applicants will be informed about the results of the procedure per e-mail.
This is the first stage of the employment procedure specified by the Statute of the University of Warsaw. Its positive result is the basis for further procedure.
Attention! The University of Warsaw does not offer accommodation, reserves the right to contact shortlisted candidates, invite them for an interview as well as not select any candidate.
“Perceptual objects in the unimodal and multimodal settings”
There is an intuitive sense in which we can see, hear, and smell some objects (the crackling campfire), whereas other objects of perception (rainbows) seem confined to a single modality. Perceptual objects are the events or entities that we perceive; they are those individuals to which perceptual mental states attribute properties. The most plausible candidates for perceptual objects presented through vision include ordinary, persistent material objects and/or spatiotemporal regions; those presented through audition include sounds and/or ordinary objects; and those presented through olfaction include odors and/or ordinary objects. Although the topic of perceived objects and properties is of great importance for philosophy and psychology, many issues remain puzzling.
The project seeks to fit in with the recent interdisciplinary work between philosophy of perception, psychology, and cognitive neuroscience. Based on research on object processing in various sensory modalities, this project aims to develop a comprehensive account of perceptual objecthood by accommodating a sensory specific and multisensory perspectives. The project embraces four main subtasks devoted to analyses of the origin and development of object perception, the conceptual and methodological aspects underlying the investigation of unisensory and multisensory perceptual objects, the differences and similarities between perceptual objects in various senses, and the multisensory level of perceptual objecthood. The research group will classify the kinds of entities we can perceive through individual sense modalities, explore the concept of “object”, the structure, and characteristics of perceptual objects in various sensory modalities as well as the degree to which different sensory modalities can work together to construct a multimodal perceptual object.
Additional information about the project may be obtained from PI Dr Aleksandra Mroczko-Wąsowicz (firstname.lastname@example.org ).
 This period does not include breaks caused by maternity leave, leave under the conditions of maternity leave, paternal leave, parental leave granted in accordance with the principles stipulated in the provisions of the labour law, or breaks during which sickness benefit or rehabilitation benefit in connection with inability to work, including inability to work as a consequence of an illness necessitating therapeutic rehabilitation, were received. For women, the indicated seven-year period may be extended by 18 months for each natural or adopted child.
EURAXESS offer ID: 583515
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.