RESEARCH FIELDLanguage sciencesPhysics
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)Leading Researcher (R4)
APPLICATION DEADLINE08/12/2020 23:59 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNetherlands › Leiden
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
From 1 January 2021, the Faculty of Archaeology will have its own Unit for teaching and research in the area of Fieldwork in Archaeology and Heritage Studies.
The Field Unit is responsible for all education and research in the subject of Field Archaeology (excavations, prospection, survey and landscape archaeology) and of Heritage Management, including acquisition and expertise development with regard to implementation practice (KNA and (inter)national policy). The unit coordinates and provides (a substantial part of) teaching in the (BA) learning pathway Field School, and the Masters specialization in Applied Archaeology. The unit will be managed by members of the Department of Archaeological Heritage & Society. To augment this team, the Faculty of Archaeology is looking for reinforcement in the form of a Senior (UHD) and a Junior (UD) Coordinator Field Schools and Internships.
The Senior Coordinator has his own fieldwork project, and this will be part of Field School 2, and of the Master specialization Applied Archaeology. The Junior Coordinator is responsible for the preparation and coordination of the field school curriculum and will be guided by the Senior Coordinator and supported by other members of the unit. A policy memorandum about the Field School is available on request.
Terms and Conditions
The successful applicant will receive a contract for the duration of 5 years. The possibility of renewal will be discussed after an evaluation in the fourth year. Salary range from € 5,190.- to € 6,317.- gross per month, depending on experience (pay scale 13, in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3%), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our Individual Choices Model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. For international spouses we have set up a dual career programme. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. For more information, see the website.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from
members of underrepresented groups.
To apply for this vacancy, please send an email to Josephine Say, email email@example.com no later than 8 December 2020. Please attach the following additional documents as a single PDF file quoting the vacancy number:
- A cover letter stating your motivation to apply for this position;
- A CV and publication list;
- Your PhD dissertation and two recent articles, ideally as links to freely available online publications;
- An overview of courses taught including the results of students’ evaluation of that course, if available;
- Copies of your academic transcripts;
- The names and contact addresses of two academic referees, of which at least one must not be the thesis supervisor or the current employer.
Interviews are envisaged for mid December 2020/early January 2021. Selected candidates will be invited in first instance for an online interview. You are kindly requested to be available in this period.
Inquiries about this position can be made to Joanita Vroom, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Web site for additional job details
The Department is seeking candidates who demonstrate excellence in teaching and research. The candidate should be a team-player who will fit into the Faculty of Archaeology’s multidisciplinary environment.
- PhD in Archaeology, preferably on research related to the archaeology of an area outside the Netherlands;
- Extensive experience of a number of years in the development, organization and implementation of archaeological field projects;
- Experience with archaeological field research abroad corresponding to our research spearheads would be an advantage;
- A demonstrable commitment to high quality teaching. Extensive teaching experience in higher education, as demonstrated by BKO certification (Basic Qualification for Academic Education) and a variety of course evaluations;
- Familiarity with new methods and techniques as applied to contemporary field research, such as GIS, drone technology, remote sensing, etc.;
- A network in (inter)national field and landscape archaeology;
- A track record in fundraising for field projects;
- Demonstrable expertise in the field of landscape and survey archaeology, shown by publication record;
- Experience with archaeological research and commercial and policy archaeology in the Netherlands, with a preference for KNA senior status;
- Clear vision of the implementation of practical training in an academic Archaeology programme (in a practical skills learning line);
- Vision of the role of Archaeology in society;
- Excellent communication skills and team player;
- Good command of the Dutch and English language.
EURAXESS offer ID: 580520
Posting organisation offer ID: 295891
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.