RESEARCH FIELDLanguage sciencesPhysics
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)Leading Researcher (R4)
APPLICATION DEADLINE08/12/2020 23:59 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNetherlands › Leiden
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
From 1 January 2021, the Faculty of Archaeology will have its own Unit for teaching and research in the area of Fieldwork in Archaeology and Heritage Studies.
The Field Unit is responsible for all education and research in the subject of Field Archaeology (excavations, prospection, survey and landscape archaeology) and of Heritage Management, including acquisition and expertise development with regard to implementation practice (KNA and (inter)national policy). The unit coordinates and provides (a substantial part of) teaching in the (BA) learning pathway Field School, and the Masters specialization in Applied Archaeology. The unit will be managed by members of the Department of Archaeological Heritage & Society. To augment this team, the Faculty of Archaeology is looking for reinforcement in the form of a Senior (UHD) and a Junior (UD) Coordinator Field Schools and Internships.
The Junior Coordinator is responsible for the preparation and coordination of the field school curriculum and will be guided by the Senior Coordinator and supported by other members of the unit. A policy memorandum about the Field School is available on request.
The successful applicant will receive a contract for the duration of 5 years. The possibility of renewal will be discussed after an evaluation in the fourth year. Salary range from € 3,746.- to € 5,127.- gross per month, depending on experience (pay scale 11, in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3%), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our Individual Choices Model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. For international spouses we have set up a dual career programme. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. For more information, see the website.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
To apply for this vacancy, please send an email to Josephine Say, email email@example.com no later than 8 December 2020. Please attach the following additional documents as a single PDF file quoting the vacancy number:
- A cover letter stating your motivation to apply for this position;
- A CV and publication list;
- Your PhD dissertation and two recent articles, ideally as links to freely available online publications.
Interviews are envisaged for mid December 2020/early January 2021. Selected candidates will be invited in first instance for an online interview. You are kindly requested to be available in this period.
Enquiries about this position can be made to Monique van den Dries, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Web site for additional job details
- PhD, preferably on research related to Dutch (field) archaeology;
- Demonstrable qualities in the field of academic research, as shown by a number of scientific publications;
- Extensive experience in the preparation, organization and implementation of archaeological field projects, as well as post-fieldwork analysis and the reporting of excavation results;
- Demonstrable experience in teaching in higher education, as evidenced by course evaluations;
- Ideally, in possession of a BKO (Basic Qualification for Academic Education) or willing to obtain this within 2 years;
- Familiar with new methods and techniques that are applied in contemporary field research, such as drone technology, remote sensing, IT-supported excavation techniques, etc.;
- Experience at an archaeological company or municipal service is recommended;
- Extensive experience in coaching students in the field;
- Willingness to contribute to the implementation of the Professional Skills learning-pathway in Bachelor education;
- Organizing and examining the internships;
- Affinity with heritage management;
- A network in Dutch commercial and policy archeology;
- registered in the KNA register, a KNA senior status is recommended;
- Excellent communication skills and team player;
- Digital skills;
- Good command of both the Dutch and English language.
EURAXESS offer ID: 580519
Posting organisation offer ID: 295892
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.