ORGANISATION/COMPANYEindhoven University of Technology (TU/e)
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE01/03/2021 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNetherlands › Eindhoven
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK38.0
The PhD position on of the 15 Early Stage Researchers (ESRs) positions within the IoTalentum project (www.iotalentum.eu). IoTalentum is a European Training Network (ETN) funded by the European Commission under the Horizon 2020 Marie Sklodowska-Curie Action (MSCA). The MSCA ITN programme offers a highly competitive and attractive salary and working conditions. The overarching objective of IoTalentum is to provide high-level training in the field of next generation IoT (Internet of Things) to a new generation of ESRs.
The global research objective of IoTalentum is to develop the next generation of IoT producing coordinated advantages in the area of infrastructures and cybersecurity and use it for the development of any application of next generation of IoT, and, in particular, those of smart grids. That global research objective is divided into three subobjectives:
- To develop an integral, autonomous and flexible control (assisted by artificial intelligence techniques) for a heterogeneous infrastructure for next generation of IoT based on 5G with an optical backhaul and equipped with the distributed computing and storage resources of the Multi-access Edge Computing (MEC) paradigm.
- To propose new cybersecurity solutions to keep the integrity of the highly-distributed infrastructure of IoTalentum by acting on different layers.
- To develop smart grids using the infrastructure and the services of the next generation of IoT. To test the breakthroughs on infrastructure and cybersecurity in the smart grids sector. The global and interdisciplinary approach of IoTalentum ensures that their outcomes can be used by other sectors.
IoTalentum establishes a well-balanced ITN of ten beneficiaries (six universities and four companies) and four industrial partner organizations from eight countries.
IoTalentum will train the recruited ESRs through an outstanding training program that includes coordinated research in different IoT fields. All ESRs will be enrolled in PhD programmes (applicants have to fulfil entry conditions of those programs).
Moreover, all ESRs will enjoy 10 months secondment in the workplace of other consortium partners (ensuring that each ESR stays at least eight months at industry). Moreover, IoTalentum also offers a continuous educational backbone over the whole duration of the project.
Marie Curie ITN Project
This is position ESR10:
Objective: To conceive and experimental validate a secure data transmission link using vortex beam signaling both in wireless and optical fibre transmission ink. A novel approach based on the combination of technologies such as vortex transmission, sub-carrier multiplexing and hybrid photonic-electronic generation will be considered, in Telecom wavelength compatible with IoTalentum optical backhaul networks. Accounting for the advancements in the field, the project envisions to update its research questions to cover the timely and emerging aspects on quantum safe cryptography.
IoTalentum is financially supported by the European Commission under the Marie SkłodowskaCurie Actions (MSCA). The benefits of being an ESR of IoTalentum include:
- ESRs will work in a stimulating, creative and internationally learning environment through an unique interdisciplinary research training program.
- ESRs will be enrolled in top-quality PhD programs.
- IoTalentum training program offers unique, leading edge infrastructure and expertise, which is not available at a single place.
- ESRs will be advised by excellent group leaders - they are all outstanding in their research and trainings.
- The IoTalentum consortium was generated with the firm purpose of training ESRs so that they can enter the labour market both in academic and non-academic environments.
- All ESRs will be exposed to very different and complementary research environment in both academia and industrial participating organisations.
- ESRs will spend 30% of their recruitment time in different institutions of the network. While ESRs recruited at a university will enjoy secondments of at least eight months at industrial beneficiary or partner organization, those recruited by industrial beneficiaries will take part in secondments in academic beneficiaries to participate in PhD training as well as working with other PhD students.
- Strong involvement of industrial partners in training activities.
- ESRs will have the opportunity to acquire outstanding complementary training in transferable skills (e.g. presentation techniques, networking, publishing, and outreach activities) as well as leadership, innovation and entrepreneurial skills.
- ESRs will have the opportunity to acquire lifetime skills and optimum opportunities to build and extend your international network available to you throughout your professional career.
The MSCA ITN programme offers a highly competitive and attractive salary and working conditions. The successful candidate will receive a salary in accordance with the MSCA regulations for ESRs.
- A full-time employment for four years, with an intermediate evaluation after one year.
- You will have free access to high-quality training programs for research and valorisation, professional development courses for PhD students, and didactical courses of the TEACH training program.
- A gross monthly salary and benefits in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary.
- A broad package of fringe benefits, including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes.
- Benefits are provided in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement of the Dutch Universities.
- This PhD position includes a broad package of fringe benefits (including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes).
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more?
Please contact prof.dr.ir. Idelfonso Tafur Monroy (i.tafur.monroy[at]tue.nl) for more details on this vacancy or Femke Witteveen, Project Assistant, e-mail e.a.witteveen[at]tue.nl.
Recruiting Institution: Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) - Netherlands.
PhD Enrolment: Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) - Netherlands.
Main supervisor: Prof. Idelfonso Tafur Monroy, email: i.tafur.monroy[at]tue.nl
Research group: Terahertz Photonic Systems (Department of Electrical Engineering)
For information about terms of employment, click here.
Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs to find out more about working at TU/e!
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'apply now' button on this page.
The application should include:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Submit you curriculum vitae, including a list any of your publications and the contact information of two references.
- A copy of your Masters Thesis
- Copies of diplomas and course grades
Please note that you can upload 5 document of 2Mb each, so if you have more than 1 document you will have to combine them.
We look forward to your application and will screen it as soon as we have received it. The screening will continue until the position has been filled. Start date: As soon as possible.
We do not respond to applications that are sent to us in a different way.
Web site for additional job details
The applicants must, at the date of the call deadline, comply with the following eligibility criteria:
1. To hold a MSc degree (or equivalent) in Engineering, Mathematics, Physics or a related field.
The candidate is expected to have experience and expertise in one or more of the following subjects:
- Knowledge of classical cybersecurity systems
- Knowledge of quantum cryptography and/or post-quantum cryptography
- Knowledge of 5G systems, SND/FNV, and protocol stack
- Knowledge of classical optical fibre and/or RF communication systems
2. To have not been awarded a doctoral degree.
- At the time of recruitment by the host organization, candidates should be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience1) of their research career.
- Candidates must comply with the European Commission's mobility rule, meaning at the time of recruitment by the host organization, they must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of the host organization for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the starting employment contract date. Compulsory national service and/or short stays such as holidays are not taken into account. The positions are open to all nationalities.
- To be proficient in English language both written and spoken.
- Self-motivation in scientific research
EURAXESS offer ID: 579122
Posting organisation offer ID: 295611
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.