ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversidad de Valladolid
RESEARCH FIELDComputer science › Computer systemsEngineering › Communication engineeringEngineering › Computer engineeringEngineering › Electrical engineeringMathematics › Applied mathematicsTechnology › Communication technologyTechnology › Computer technologyTechnology › Information technologyTechnology › Internet technologyTechnology › Telecommunications technology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE29/01/2021 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONSpain › Valladolid
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37.5
OFFER STARTING DATE01/04/2021
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER953442
Description of job offer:
We are pleased to announce the opening of three Early Stage Researchers (ESRs) positions at Universidad de Valladolid, UVa (Spain) to carry out PhD theses within the IoTalentum project (www.iotalentum.eu). IoTalentum is a European Training Network (ETN) funded by the European Commission under the Horizon 2020 Marie Sklodowska-Curie Action (MSCA). The MSCA ITN programme offers highly competitive and attractive salary and working conditions. IoTalentum establishes a well-balanced Innovative Training Network (ITN) of ten beneficiaries (six universities and four companies) and four industrial partner organizations from eight countries.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for full-time fixed-term positions (36 months) as an Early Stage Researcher (ESR).
The global research objective of IoTalentum is to develop the next generation of IoT producing coordinated advantages in the area of infrastructures and cybersecurity and use it for the development of any application of next generation of IoT, and, in particular, those of smart grids.
IoTalentum will train the recruited ESRs through an outstanding training program that includes coordinated research in different IoT fields. The ESRs will be enrolled in UVa ICT PhD program (applicants have to fulfil entry conditions of that program). Moreover, they will enjoy 10 months secondment(s) in the workplace of other consortium partners (ensuring that each ESR stays at least eight months at industry). Moreover, IoTalentum also offers a continuous educational backbone over the whole duration of the project.
Title and objectives of the three positions offered:
- ESR3: AI-based control method for the optical backhaul of IoTalentum
To design new planning and operation methods based on Artificial Intelligence (AI) for multi-core and elastic optical backhaul networks of the IoTalentum architecture. To design methods for integration of optical control of access and metro segments. To exploit AI techniques to improve the overall network performance in terms of latency, throughput, cost and energy consumption. To implement a use-case to demonstrate some of those methods in the UVa GPON testbed.
- ESR5: SDN for network virtualization in IoTalentum infrastructure
To develop planning and software-defined network (SDN) control algorithms and techniques for IoTalentum networks. To integrate network function virtualization (NFV) in scenarios with distributed computing resources (MEC, multi-access edge computing), by means of SDN-based control mechanisms.
- ESR7: Cognitive orchestrator of MEC and network resources
To develop cognitive control methods based on SDN to operate the IoTalentum architectures (MEC and the underlying network) with the objective of reducing cost and energy consumption of the infrastructure. To develop algorithms for load and virtual machine balancing in order to provide Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) and Software as a Service (SaaS) to final users and objects. To integrate and test the IoTalentum distributed computing infrastructure in the DREAM‑GO mock-up.
- Selected candidates will have a full-time employment contract for the duration of 3 years (36 months).
- The ESR will be contracted according to Spain national rules with full social security benefits.
- 37.5 hours/week with flexible schedule.
- In accordance with the MSCA regulations for ESRs, the salary for selected candidates is constituted by a generous living allowance, a mobility allowance and a family allowance (depending on family situation).
- Gross salary: around 35,000 €/year (including living and mobility allowance) plus 4,000 €/year (for those who comply with the family requirements)
The benefits of being an ESR of IoTalentum include:
- You will work in a stimulating, creative and internationally learning environment through a unique interdisciplinary research training program.
- You will be enrolled in a top-quality PhD program.
- IoTalentum training program offers unique, leading edge infrastructure and expertise, which is not available at a single place.
- You will be advised by excellent group leaders – they are all outstanding in their research and trainings.
- The IoTalentum consortium was generated with the firm purpose of training ESRs so that you can enter the labour market both in academic and non-academic environments.
- You will be exposed to very different and complementary research environments in both academia and industrial participating organisations.
- You will spend 30% of their recruitment time in different institutions of the network. ESRs will enjoy secondments of at least eight months at industrial beneficiary or partner organization.
- Strong involvement of industrial partners in training activities.
- You will have the opportunity to acquire outstanding complementary training in transferable skills (e.g. presentation techniques, networking, publishing, and outreach activities) as well as leadership, innovation and entrepreneurial skills.
- You will have the opportunity to acquire lifetime skills and optimum opportunities to build and extend your international network available to you throughout your professional career.
The applicants must, at the date of the call deadline, comply with the following eligibility criteria:
- To hold a MSc degree (or equivalent) in (ICT, Telecommunications, Electronic, Electrical, or Computer) Engineering, Mathematics, Physics or a related field.
- To have not been awarded a doctoral degree.
- At the time of recruitment by the host organization, you should be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of your research career.
- You must comply with the European Commission’s mobility rule, meaning at the time of recruitment by UVa, you must not have resided or carried out your main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Spain for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the starting employment contract date. Compulsory national service and/or short stays such as holidays are not taken into account.
- The positions are open to all nationalities.
- To be proficient in English language.
The following merits will be assessed (if there is documentary evidence):
- Knowledge about communications networks and/or machine learning techniques.
- Experience in programming and knowledge of programming languages.
- Journal/conference papers related to the job topics.
- Journal/conference papers in other fields from the area of engineering or mathematics.
- Other research merits.
- Dr. Ramón J. Durán Barroso, email@example.com, IoTalentum Coordinator (https://orcid.org/0000-0003-1423-1646, https://www.linkedin.com/in/rjduranbarroso/)
- Dr. Ignacio de Miguel: firstname.lastname@example.org, Training Coordinator (https://orcid.org/0000-0002-1084-1159, https://www.linkedin.com/in/idemiguel/)
- Read Euraxess job offer
- Read the Guide for Applicants in IoTalentum webpage (http://www.iotalentum.eu/vacancies). You can find the complete description of the selection process there.
- Complete IoTalentum Application Form (http://www.iotalentum.eu/vacancies).
- Send your application as well as the evidence of merits to email@example.com.
E-mail subject: ‘Iotalentum – application ESR number (3, 5 or 7).
The deadline for applying to UVa positions is 29th January 2021 (23:00 CET)
Any question can be sent to IoTalentum Project Management Team: firstname.lastname@example.org
EURAXESS offer ID: 577252
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.